New Hope Housing EaDo: Multifamily At 3301 Harrisburg Blvd.

Urbannizer

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

I'm in my twenties. I'd live there. That looks nice to me. And, frankly, better than the big off-campus students center at UH with the red blocks protruding from its roof. 

Yea same here. It doesn't look bad at all.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Hope Housing is also doing much needed work. It is nearly impossible for people to land work if they are homeless and it's easier than ever for someone to be one pay check or one illness away from being homeless. This gives people a safe place to stay and get on their feet. It gives them an address. It gives them a chance. And New Hope is so much more than a "shelter." They work very hard to try and providence a sense of pride in giving people a HOME. This building looks like it accomplishes that quite nicely. 

7 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

so glad you made this comment.  I agree.  This building is nice and in keeping with current décor trends in Houston and America.  The snobbery I see in criticisms and comments on this forum wreaks of oh so much maligned garbage spewed forth from a somewhat large "neighbor" city up north whose name shall be omitted.  I recommend Houstonians NOT to become like that other unnamed place in the way it's residents continually commit to this nasty critical vile way of thinking and commenting on other places.  Keep Houston, well... Houston.

I live down the street from this development, in a newer townhome, and I happily welcome this development. New Hope keeps their developments looking great and I believe it is possible for different types of housing to co-exist. 

• 3 months later...

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/03/28/tour-houstons-newest-mixed-use-sro-complex

Though the complex doesn't officially open until April, residents have already starting moving in to New Hope Housing's latest complex located right off the light rail just east of downtown in Houston's Second Ward. New Hope has built just over 1,000 single room occupancy residences in the city, meeting a critical need.

Around for more than 20 years, New Hope Housing has made a new for itself elevating the typical single room occupancy complex to a breathable, thoughtful residence with an eye to design and attention to detail. "Our model is housing plus services," said Joy Horak-Brown, executive director of New Hope Housing. With seven properties, including the new location on Harrisburg, New Hope Housing is the leading provider of single room occupancy residences in the state. The latest addition, a replacement for the downtown location that was New Hope Housing's first, has many of the same elements shared across New Hope's facilities: it's colorful, mixes indoor and outdoor spaces, offers secure entry and exit and includes supportive services. But this property will be the organization's first mixed-use property, offering office and retail space as well.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:09 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

It's awesome that they are adding more of these affordable housing communities throughout the city.  Even the struggling working class people deserve nice facilities. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I mentioned this elsewhere in the East End sub forum, but figured I should post this here too. The three or four GFR pad sites on the first floor of the New Hope facility fronting Harrisburg are still unoccupied, about two years after the facility first opened. Seems they are having difficulty attracting potential commercial tenants. There has been an increase in loitering in the immediate vicinity since the facility opened, which at a minimum is likely discouraging pedestrian traffic and making those pad sites less appealing. Just something to keep in mind next time New Hope tries to use inclusion of GFR as a benefit for the area when proposing a new property.

Hopefully this area can turn the corner and be fully developed on the strength of How to Survive, Sigma Brewing, and Voodoo Queen, along with the Kaldis redevelopment of the former Cameron Iron Works warehouse and further town home construction. I just hope the New Hope facility doesn’t stunt that growth.

Edit: @Urbannizer this post probably needs to be moved to the East End sub forum as this facility was completed some time ago.

dang! just now seeing this thread....this program is the most amazing thing ever! so happy it exists...

and this was taken from the website...just so awesome! 

Resident Services Program

Elevating a life takes more than a roof and four walls. Our commitment to going beyond safe, secure and attractive low-cost housing is what sets New Hope Housing apart. We provide residents with the resources to put and keep their lives on track.

Many people who live at New Hope Housing encounter instability in their lives due to isolation from family and friends, health problems or loss of employment. Through our Resident Services Program, we offer support programs that help people succeed in their personal lives and in the community. Programs include case management, access to primary health care, financial management, life skills training, and in some instances, rental support.

3 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I mentioned this elsewhere in the East End sub forum, but figured I should post this here too. The three or four GFR pad sites on the first floor of the New Hope facility fronting Harrisburg are still unoccupied, about two years after the facility first opened. Seems they are having difficulty attracting potential commercial tenants. There has been an increase in loitering in the immediate vicinity since the facility opened, which at a minimum is likely discouraging pedestrian traffic and making those pad sites less appealing. Just something to keep in mind next time New Hope tries to use inclusion of GFR as a benefit for the area when proposing a new property.

Hopefully this area can turn the corner and be fully developed on the strength of How to Survive, Sigma Brewing, and Voodoo Queen, along with the Kaldis redevelopment of the former Cameron Iron Works warehouse and further town home construction. I just hope the New Hope facility doesn’t stunt that growth.

Edit: @Urbannizer this post probably needs to be moved to the East End sub forum as this facility was completed some time ago.

Shocked.... Shocked i tell you 

3 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

It will probably take awhile. I've been in, and walked, this area several times, and there little to zero foot traffic at all in this area at the moment. More things need to happen around it for those spots to be filled up, and while it might be do to its surroundings it isn't the only reason, Mid Main had some trouble filling up its GFR for a little bit on the Main St side, but slowly its filling up as there is slightly more foot traffic there than before. Another factor that could be limiting is the fact that it is Affordable Housing, meaning its for people with not a lot of disposable income already. Mid Main at least was in a better position because of the kind of people that were going to be living in the surrounding area and above it, which were people that had some disposable income.

9 minutes ago, Luminare said:

It will probably take awhile. I've been in, and walked, this area several times, and there little to zero foot traffic at all in this area at the moment. More things need to happen around it for those spots to be filled up, and while it might be do to its surroundings it isn't the only reason, Mid Main had some trouble filling up its GFR for a little bit on the Main St side, but slowly its filling up as there is slightly more foot traffic there than before. Another factor that could be limiting is the fact that it is Affordable Housing, meaning its for people with not a lot of disposable income already. Mid Main at least was in a better position because of the kind of people that were going to be living in the surrounding area and above it, which were people that had some disposable income.

That’s a fair point. I guess I am part of that “little to no” foot traffic as I routinely walk through here to get to the Coffee Plant stop. A market-rate development with GFR (and therefore a built-in customer base) in this immediate area would drastically help with development, but I’m not aware of anything in the works.

There was also a proposal for another affordable housing complex on the opposite side of Harrisburg from the New Hope facility about a year ago or so, but I don’t think anything came of it—probably because the proposal didn’t qualify under the LIHTC program. Another affordable housing complex so close to this facility is the last thing this area needs.

I wouldn't be too concerned about them not having retail tenants as of yet. As other have mentioned before, the whole idea of walkability is that it cannot be forced. As the area organically adds density and the need for retail, these spots will be there waiting. If they hadn't added the retail component, we would be kicking ourselves 20 years from now saying "why didn't anyone realize that this area adjacent to the light rail would be become a retail hotspot???"

Also, I believe there is another large townhome farm that is about to be planted nearby. Those additional properties will push more and more proprietors to consider this location.

I agree and furthermore there were empty spaces in the R.O. district for over a year. Our gallery was offered one for a relatively low special deal for 2 years, as a place holder just so it wouldn't have any empty spaces. We didn't do it but I believe that Thornwood gallery did for a while. There have been empty spaces in the Village. It happens everywhere, but when you go into an under developed area in a predominantly low income market like the barrio of the East End you will have delays in filling retail for a while. Why did it take so long to fill Midtown spaces until the density levels came up. It happens. They will eventually be filled but I agree its better to have them for future needs.

• 6 months later...

Given that the New Hope Ave J development just broke ground, I figure it’s as good a time as any to mention that METRO removed the covered bus stop on N Sampson in front of this New Hope development. I’ll take that as a tacit admission by METRO/CoH that the constant loitering by New Hope residents and other area transients at that stop wasn’t good for optics. And, no surprise (and I guess at least partially due to COVID) but those GFR sites are still all unoccupied.

I’m glad The Plant is still moving forward in spite of this development, with the future homes of Giant Leap and a microgrocer both undergoing build-outs there currently.

• The title was changed to New Hope Housing East Of Downtown
  • The title was changed to New Hope Housing EaDo: Multifamily At 3301 Harrisburg Blvd.

Archived