Yale Marketplace Retail Center At 3004 Yale St.

mrfootball

While we're dreaming, how 'bout a Trader Joe's in the old HEB or Eckerds or whatever it was on 11th?

A Trader Joe's would be a better match for your average bungalow owner, me thinks. I know $2 bottles of wine are more of my style. :D

Whole Foods is considered overpriced by a lot of Heights people. Houses in the Heights may cost as much as in other parts of the Inner Loop, but if you drive around you don't see nearly as many Beemers and like parked on the street as you would in, say, Bellaire.

My new bold prediction for the old HEB on 11th is a Marshalls. I drive by the Ross on 11th/Shepherd every day and the place is packed. It also seems every other Ross Store has either a Marshalls or TJ Maxx near it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My new bold prediction for the old HEB on 11th is a Marshalls. I drive by the Ross on 11th/Shepherd every day and the place is packed. It also seems every other Ross Store has either a Marshalls or TJ Maxx near it.

I think it would be most fitting if they tore down the old HEB on 11th and put up housing that was moved from there 20 years ago when the store was built.

Ok, here's a trivia question for those who are long time Heights residents. What was the original name of the grocery store on 11th?

I think it would be most fitting if they tore down the old HEB on 11th and put up housing that was moved from there 20 years ago when the store was built.

Ok, here's a trivia question for those who are long time Heights residents. What was the original name of the grocery store on 11th?

I remember it as a Fiesta maybe, but that wasn't too far in the distant past.

**Buzzzz**

No, sorry Heightsguy, never a Fiesta. But thanks for playing. Don Pardo, what do we have as a lovely parting gift......?

LOL. Where was the Fiesta then? I rented in the Heights back in the late 80's and remember there being one other than the current one on Shepherd.

Studewood @ E. 14th-still there.

B)

Yes, you are correct NMainGuy about the Fiesta still being at Studewood and 14th. However, the store on 11th was never a Lewis & Coker, although it is a good guess.

Anyone else want to play "Name That Defunct Business"???

Yes, you are correct NMainGuy about the Fiesta still being at Studewood and 14th. However, the store on 11th was never a Lewis & Coker, although it is a good guess.

Anyone else want to play "Name That Defunct Business"???

For more Heights Trivia - there is a sign on the Boulevard at 11th Street for the "Melvalene and Carl Cohen Plaza". Carl Cohen was the original owner of the grocery store at Studewood and 14th. Studewood Food Market in the 60's was the largest single independant grocery store in the country.

Well I never post, I'm a lurker through and through...but...

A family friend is one of those responsible for scoping out new HEB locations. I keep nagging him to open up an HEB or Central Market in the old pantry spot (or anywhere in the Heights), but there's a reason they moved....real estate is just too much. I just can't imagine CM not doing enough business in the Heights to justify a store, but I suppose it makes sense. I used to shop at Albertsons back in the day...now I'm forced to do my local shopping at Kroger, sigh....

I would really like to see something done (sooner rather than later) to the Pantry building....

Oh come on now. There are plenty of grocery stores in locations where the real estate is high.

The HEB at Westheimer at Fountainview is a prime example.

Not to mention the CM on Westheimer and Wesleyan. That lot didn't come cheap.

** Ding Ding Ding**

We have a correct answer. It was a Lucky 7 store, then Moore's, then Costa's, then HEB. However, HEB did the most extensive remodeling and expansion of the parking lot.

Let's see what Barker's Beauties have for you today......

I want the five piece dinette set and the RadarRange, Bob.

B)

A family friend is one of those responsible for scoping out new HEB locations. I keep nagging him to open up an HEB or Central Market in the old pantry spot (or anywhere in the Heights), but there's a reason they moved....real estate is just too much. I just can't imagine CM not doing enough business in the Heights to justify a store, but I suppose it makes sense. I used to shop at Albertsons back in the day...now I'm forced to do my local shopping at Kroger, sigh....

I would really like to see something done (sooner rather than later) to the Pantry building....

as a former lurker, welcome, posting gets addictive though...

as to the real estate...I agree...that westheimer location must be bookoo bucks! I think a Heights CM would RAKE IT IN! (not just from Heights residents, but from N and NW commuters on their way home from work)

tell your family friend to drive through the heights and see all the starving (as evidenced by their no-bmw's) residents who just need a place to pour all their extra money (cause apparently $300 is just chump change to the non-pretentious residents). :P

Thank you HeightsGuy for catching on to this. Its one thing to take a position on an issue, but I can't stand it when environmentalists/vitalists go nuts over something because its only branded as environmentally friendly. Think, people!

Since when is driving a Prius an act of non-pretentiousness?

No. All TP gets flushed. Recycled = uncomfortable.

I don't think people want a WF b/c it's branded environmentally friendly. I think many people like it b/c there aren't fruit flies coming out of the produce (been to a Randall's lately). It's not so much a "whole food store" anymore as a high end market like CM. I also have to say that I prefer to buy organic, not for the environment as much as my own body.

Also, in the post you're quoting me from, I guess I should have put a space between those 2 sentences. They were indivdual responses to other points more than a point in themselves ^_^

I don't think people want a WF b/c it's branded environmentally friendly. I think many people like it b/c there aren't fruit flies coming out of the produce (been to a Randall's lately). It's not so much a "whole food store" anymore as a high end market like CM.

For me the big selling point on Whole Foods: best darn take-out in the city. :)

I don't think people want a WF b/c it's branded environmentally friendly.

Popular sentiment but not completely true, although some stuff is environmentally friendly, they still sell stuff in plastic bottles that are hard to recycle and some of the deli containers aren't recyclable. They do, however, compost scraps from produce and the deli. They're not as 'green' as you think. That is, however, how they are perceived.

It's not so much a "whole food store" anymore as a high end market like CM.

Not true. Everything they sell is free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. CM offers the best of both worlds, while WF's offers only natural groceries. You can only compare the two because CM picks up products that WF's carries to compete with them, but CM is a conventional high end market that offers some organic and natural foods. You won't find a lot of the things that CM carries at a WF's though!

I also have to say that I prefer to buy organic, not for the environment as much as my own body.

I share the same sentiments!!

Not true. Everything they sell is free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. CM offers the best of both worlds, while WF's offers only natural groceries. You can only compare the two because CM picks up products that WF's carries to compete with them, but CM is a conventional high end market that offers some organic and natural foods. You won't find a lot of the things that CM carries at a WF's though!

Right, but in the context of this conversation my point was more that many folks that shop at WF (like some RO/WU peeps) think of it as a high end market- better produce, fresher fish/meat, good wines... I've called it a health food store to a couple people who didn't even know what that meant. lol! :rolleyes:

Here's the truth about a CM in the Heights: extremely unlikely in the forseeable future. There are four major factors contributing to this:

1) Household densities in the Heights are relatively low. Apartment complexes tend to be much smaller and a little more run down than average, but also more scattered. Household growth is fairly limited because the area is already built out, and even if developers come in and put up three new townhomes, they still had to tear down one existing home.

2) Household incomes are very mixed. The percentage of households with incomes sufficient to place them within CM's target market are relatively small compared with parts of town like around Greenway Plaza, The Woodlands, and possibly Champions/HP.

3) Target households in the Heights presently shop in the existing Central Market, as do target households in Garden Oaks to the north, Long Point to the west, and Rice Military/Washington Avenue to the south. The few locations they do have manage to pull from a surprisingly wide geography. A Heights location would cannibalize existing demand for the Weslayan and Westheimer location.

4) The price of real estate is only a 'top line' input into the equation. Although it does work against them, if sufficient demand can outweigh the initial investment, they'll be more likely to go forward with a project. In the case of the Heights, land is becoming increasingly expensive but the demographics and cannibalization rate, discussed above, relative to the initial build price, make it exceedingly difficult to warrant a new location.

In my line of work, I have some "close connections" with HEB. Can't go into any detail, but I can assure you that these are the facts. B) I cannot, however, make any definitive statements about WF.

Here's the truth about a CM in the Heights: extremely unlikely in the forseeable future. There are four major factors contributing to this:

1) Household densities in the Heights are relatively low. Apartment complexes tend to be much smaller and a little more run down than average, but also more scattered. Household growth is fairly limited because the area is already built out, and even if developers come in and put up three new townhomes, they still had to tear down one existing home.

2) Household incomes are very mixed. The percentage of households with incomes sufficient to place them within CM's target market are relatively small compared with parts of town like around Greenway Plaza, The Woodlands, and possibly Champions/HP.

3) Target households in the Heights presently shop in the existing Central Market, as do target households in Garden Oaks to the north, Long Point to the west, and Rice Military/Washington Avenue to the south. The few locations they do have manage to pull from a surprisingly wide geography. A Heights location would cannibalize existing demand for the Weslayan and Westheimer location.

4) The price of real estate is only a 'top line' input into the equation. Although it does work against them, if sufficient demand can outweigh the initial investment, they'll be more likely to go forward with a project. In the case of the Heights, land is becoming increasingly expensive but the demographics and cannibalization rate, discussed above, relative to the initial build price, make it exceedingly difficult to warrant a new location.

In my line of work, I have some "close connections" with HEB. Can't go into any detail, but I can assure you that these are the facts. B) I cannot, however, make any definitive statements about WF.

Niche, that sounds completely valid. However, if you have close connections with HEB, can you get them to upgrade the 18th Street location to a full HEB?

Niche, that sounds completely valid. However, if you have close connections with HEB, can you get them to upgrade the 18th Street location to a full HEB?

Sorry. I only look over the data that an associate of mine creates and passes along to them. In terms of site selection and investment criteria, only their own number crunchers have any real say-so.

Sorry. I only look over the data that an associate of mine creates and passes along to them. In terms of site selection and investment criteria, only their own number crunchers have any real say-so.

Hmmm.....could you massage the data a bit to get us a new full-size HEB at the Sawyer Target center? Just kidding. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/07/whole-foods-to-open-new-store-type-in-houston-amid.html

Whole Foods Market Inc. will launch one of its first lower-priced stores called"365 by Whole Foods Market" in Houston by 2017, according to a statement from the company.

"A modern, streamlined design with innovative technology and a carefully curated product mix will offer an efficient and rewarding way to grocery shop," Turnas said in an announcement earlier this year. "We are excited for the next evolution to extend our offerings to a broader audience in a way that complements our successful Whole Foods Market brand."

As further evidenced that this new concept is the one going in midtown there is a link that brings you to the earlier article about this Pearl project going up in midtown that will have a whole foods. Safe to say this new concept and this Pearl are one in the same. This is awesome news! Nice to see a company be this dedicated to Houston and trying something new here.

As further evidenced that this new concept is the one going in midtown there is a link that brings you to the earlier article about this Pearl project going up in midtown that will have a whole foods. Safe to say this new concept and this Pearl are one in the same. This is awesome news! Nice to see a company be this dedicated to Houston and trying something new here.

Publications routinely put links to related stories, e.g. recent stories about the same company.  That provides zero information about the likely location of their first 365 store in Houston.

Archived