Cheek Neal Coffee Building At 2017 Preston St.

Originally posted December 27, 2016 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. Archive link coming soon.

On 1/24/2016 at 11:05 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Add another David Buehrer coffee house (Greenway Coffee, Blacksmith, Morningstar) to the list. He's opening a coffee place at The Cheek and Neal (or The Cheek & Neal), the redeveloped Cheek-Neal Coffee Co. building at 2017 Preston St in Houston's East Downtown or EaDo. This was uploaded to his Instagram page Friday:

T2BAa7Y.jpg

More on David Buerher's involvement with The Cheek and Neal (or The Cheek & Neal ) at 2017 Preston. This come from a summer interview with Visit Houston:

I’m working with a developer to take the old Maxwell House headquarters, which was built in 1927, and come up with a food court concept for the first floor of that building that would honor the history and also be very Houston at the same time. It’s still in development and it’s going to be way out there in the future.

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/culinary-tours/culinary-blog/post/david-buehrer-on-houston-coffee-and-his-upcoming-morningstar/

Originally posted May 24, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. Archive link coming soon.

From CityBook a few months ago, speculation about a possible hotel for the Cheek Neal Building at 2017 Preston.

Funky, still-transitional EaDo would make an ideal home for a new hotel to serve the crowds of the nearby George R. Brown and the Dynamo’s BBVA Compass Stadium. Developer David Denenberg — owner of the historic Cheek Neal Coffee Building, currently beginning a massive renovation — says he’s considering something like a creative-class-savvy Ace Hotel for his property, with its soaring ceilings and large, vintage industrial windows. The Oregon-based Ace chain is famous for re purposing old structures — a halfway house in Portland, a theater in L.A. — into affordable hotels that function as temporary workspaces for the laptop-and-latte set.

http://www.houstoncitybook.com/get-a-room/

Originally posted August 8, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. Archive link coming soon.

From Realty News Report last week:

David Denenburg, 37, shared his painstaking journey to restore and redevelop the abandoned circa 1917 Cheek Neal Coffee Building, a 55,000 SF historic landmark at 2017 Preston that later housed Maxwell House Coffee. Denenburg says he plans to lease the first floor to retail and offer the upper floors for office space, with large floor plates.

He closed on his purchase of the building in July of 2015 and the next day, he found out that TxDOT planned a freeway expansion for I-45 right through the footprint of the Cheek Neal building.

“We moved quickly to have this amazing treasure designated as a historic landmark,” says Denenburg, who also serves on EaDo’s Management District board.

“The ROW (right of way) for the TxDOT 45 freeway expansion project has now moved around our Cheek Neal Coffee Co Building due to the historic nature of our building,” he says.

Denenburg pointed out how he had re-designed and upgraded the panels of the 88 steel windows, now double-paned, energy-efficient, and sound-proof.

“Architects, historians, and the City of Houston told me the windows could never be restored, that they were in far too poor condition,” he says. “They urged me to use aluminum which may last twenty-five years, whereas steel lasts centuries. Look at them now–perfect and as beautiful as they were back in 1917! I worked weekends, bought pipe at cost for $10,000 that would normally have been $150,000. Keeping costs down is key, but I never compromise the quality.”

A tireless preservationist, Denenburg works side by side with a crew of craftsmen, glazing glass, and stripping away the undesirable finishes others added through the years. “I don’t need to go to the gym. On any given day, my FitBit may register 14,000 steps. I’m up and down stairs, running to Home Depot, shoveling sludge out of basements, emerging covered in diesel. It’s non-stop but so fulfilling to see the results.”

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/08/04/transformation-unfolding-quickly-in-eado-district-crew-houston-told/

Originally posted February 5, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. Archive link coming soon.

On 7/30/2016 at 2:49 AM, Urbannizer said:

On 12/7/2016 at 12:28 PM, Urbannizer said:

I'm not sure how recent this render is, but it's an updated version from the uploaded images above (seems to show the other side of the building shown in the third rendering Urb posted).

The rendering of the Cheek Neal Coffee Building, 2017 Preston in Houston shows the proposed park above the 59 freeway. There is a rooftop bar (as proposed in previous reports). There is also a food hall and market on the ground floor labeled Cheek Neal Market. The rendering also shows B-Cycle stations.

Images come from Loopnet:
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2017-Preston-St-Houston-TX/13723468/

xF5eNvN.jpg

Originally posted February 5, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. Archive link coming soon.

The proposed linear park on top of 59 HWY shown in rendering with  Cheek Neal Building,  2017 Preston  in Houston

uTEFkx8.jpg?1

Older map  of linear park in front of Cheek Neal Building taken from a TX-Dot or Metro presentation. Posted on Loopnet.

cZ7Z0vq.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, wilcal said:

This property was in the Permit Report.

Permit issued on 10/06 for "(EPR) CONVERT WAREHSE TO SHELL & CORE 1-4-2-SH-B '12 IBC 100% SPK"

Not an expert, so not sure what it means. 

I'm thinking this just means they're gutting it for potential future users. Pretty sure EBR refers to the electronic review. '12 IBC refers to the construction code it needs to remain compliant to and SPK may mean sprinkler systems to remain intact? This is just from googling, could be wrong.

Can you attach the permit?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ljchou said:

I'm thinking this just means they're gutting it for potential future users. Pretty sure EBR refers to the electronic review. '12 IBC refers to the construction code it needs to remain compliant to and SPK may mean sprinkler systems to remain intact? This is just from googling, could be wrong.

12 IBC is the 2012 International Building Code (why "international" when it is a United States thing IDK). That is the code the City of Houston follows with its own amendments. Yes, there are more recent versions of the IBC but adoption by a governmental authority usually takes action by the legislative body. In this case that would be City Council. That does not necessarily mean the 2012 code is deficient nor that the more recent editions have introduced undesirable requirements. Other municipalities have adopted the 2015 IBC or the 2018 IBC.

I'm sure SPK  means sprinklered. For years codes have been written to encourage installing sprinklers in buildings.

I sure want to see this building occupied. It is a great example of an early 20th Century commercial structure.

Edited by Specwriter
added information

18 hours ago, ljchou said:

I don't see how to get access to the permit online unfortunately. I think that it can be viewed in person for free, but ain't nobody got time for that. 

2 hours ago, Specwriter said:

12 IBC is the 2012 International Building Code (why "international" when it is a United States thing IDK). That is the code the City of Houston follows with its own amendments. Yes, there are more recent versions of the IBC but adoption by a governmental authority usually takes action by the legislative body. In this case that would be City Council. That does not necessarily mean the 2012 code is deficient nor that the more recent editions have introduced undesirable requirements. Other municipalities have adopted the 2015 IBC or the 2018 IBC.

I'm sure SPK  means sprinklered. For years codes have been written to encourage installing sprinklers in buildings.

I sure want to see this building occupied. It is a great example of an early 20th Century commercial structure.

Supposedly adopting a new standard is coming. Not sure which year. 

• 1 year later...

I love this building and loved driving by it as a kid. It was always a favorite.  I cannot seem to find a timeframe on when they plan to open the building or anything. I was really hoping they were going to put some loft apartments in there prior to discovering that someone was working on it. Anyone know what the next phase for the building is?

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Cheek Neal Coffee Building At 2017 Preston St.
  • 1 year later...
On 1/1/2024 at 6:15 PM, wilcal said:

I would have guessed yes..... but the answer is no.

image.png.b8e0f7210f4db41265dd0658e1c4034a.png

IIRC, it was initially, but the owner applied for the building to be historic, in so making it more difficult than TXDoT felt it would be worth to try and take it.

there's a thread in going up (I believe, or maybe it's buried in the pages here) that covers the 'progress' of this building. the owner went through the arduous process of doing the windows in the original format, and after that I haven't seen any further updates.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2