West Alabama Reconstruction

from Cohen's enewsletter

Public Meeting: W. Alabama Reconstruction

Council Member Cohen and the Public Works and Engineering Department will host a public meeting seeking community input on the upcoming reconstruction of W. Alabama St, from Weslayan St to Main St. This project will be completed in segments, in partnership with the Upper Kirby TIRZ and the Midtown TIRZ.

PUBLIC MEETING: W. ALABAMA ST RECONSTRUCTION
Thursday, July 30, 2015
6PM – 8PM
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
1805 W. Alabama St, 77098

For preliminary details on the project, please visit www.ReBuildHouston.org.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

wish they would remove the suicide lane that's sometimes one way and go for complete streets by adding separated bike lanes. I know they won't though, it's a 2 lane road that is considered a 'major arterial road'.

They put that reversible lane in when 59 was under construction.  They were supposed to take it out after construction, but never did.

W. Alabama sunk during the drought, leaving the manholes sticking up.  For a while they were major obstacles.

• Like 1

wish they would remove the suicide lane that's sometimes one way and go for complete streets by adding separated bike lanes. I know they won't though, it's a 2 lane road that is considered a 'major arterial road'.

I love the "suicide lane". I take it outbound often around 5:30pm, and love playing chicken with people who try to use it (knowingly or out of confusion) to take illegal lefts that are coming the other way. I always have an out for myself of course.

• Like 3

I often see people on weekends use the suicide lane as a fast lane to pass all the cars in front of them.

That's a common use of suicide lanes, regardless of where they are or the day of the week.  I notice that most of the a**hats pulling that stunt are also driving stereotypical Vehicles Of The Entitled - brodozers, European SUVs, black Escalades/Suburbans, and the like.

• Like 1

I only use it when its designated as an actual lane. on the weekends I will pull in to it to avoid hitting the brakes for a right turner in front of me, if there is no oncoming traffic.

anyways, back on topic: did anyone here attend the public meetings? Any plans or minutes released?

• Like 1

Found an article from yesterday with a write up

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/city-seeks-public-input-on-w-alabama-reconstruction/article_788bbced-1f77-579e-b29f-4b0d3a4af283.html

The proposed project has two options which differentiate based on the usage of right-of-way. In Option 1, has two lanes of one 11 ft continuous turn lane and two 11 ft. travel lanes that include a five ft. bicycle lane on each side as well as two five ft. sidewalks on both sides of the streets. This option allows for less conflict between bicyclists and drivers, but may require the acquisition of more right-of-way.

The second option creates a 10 ft off-street shared sidewalk for both pedestrians and bicyclists on the north side of the street and a five ft. sidewalk on the south side. This option allows for less right-of-way acquisition and the preservation of trees.

• Like 1

The off-street option is by far the better of the two.

I actually like both options!

I do like the off-street options simply because they would actually put in a 10' sidewalk. That's pretty much unheard of in this town lol. Its great though. I really like the fact that they will be realigning the intersection of Timmons and W. Alabama. That really needs to be fixed.

I would be more for option 1 if they did the bike lines on each side similar to downtown where there was a clear separate between car traffic and bicycle traffic with the lanes painted.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • The title was changed to Public Meeting Re: West Alabama Reconstruction
  • 7 months later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:01 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Any word on this??? I also noticed orange pylons along the Richmond median. Are they repaving Richmond?

Improvements are coming to West Alabama Street in River Oaks area in 2021

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/transportation/2020/07/07/improvements-are-coming-to-west-alabama-street-in-river-oaks-area-in-2021/

As part of a bigger four-phase effort, the Houston has been responsible for two segments of improvements to West Alabama.

The Weslayan Street to Buffalo Speedway segment is scheduled for construction in 2021 and calls for new concrete streets with storm drainage, sidewalks, driveways, street lighting with water and wastewater updates. The project is scheduled for bids later this month. Construction is slated for spring 2021.

The segment from Buffalo Speedway to Shepherd is the responsibility of the Upper Kirby TIRZ, while the segment from Spur 527 to Chenevert is the responsibility of the Midtown TIRZ.

Timeline: spring 2021-TBD

Cost: $15.87 million

ABjuvZI.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I think KIrby is between Buffalo Speedway and Shepherd (and therefore included in the Upper Kirby TIRZ segment).

Lol dammit Houston19514. My symptoms are done with so I can’t blame the Covid. Just stupidity.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to West Alabama Reconstruction
  • 2 weeks later...