Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of taking out the Chron building and replacing it with surface parking as a semi long term place holder makes some sense, but the parking garage is functional (if dirty) and Hines has a unit that exists to run parking garages.  It seems odd they would also take it out immediately if there isn't some sort of relatively short term plan to build on that site.  But then again, Hines doesn't do a whole lot of land warehousing, do they?

• Like 1

Definitely a different appearance. Chase is a hideously ugly building that has aged poorly. The only reason why I "like" this building is because it's a supertall and the tallest in Texas. But having a building equal in height could be interesting for sure.

it's still the 2nd tallest west of the Mississippi, and only by about 16'.

Tearing down the garage seems more indicative of something happening to me.  Unless there is something horridly wrong with the elevators that have to be fixed to keep the place open, I can't imagine that its not paying for itself in operating costs. 

Is there a reason that the thread title has the address of the garage and not the building, which would be a Texas, Prairie, Milam or Travis address?

• Like 1

Wha? Highly unlikely, Hines and surface parking does not compute.

I hope they put up a residential high-rise for the parking garage site.

The reason I think so is that the market for downtown high-rises seems constrained at the moment.  Capitol Tower is uncertain, and 6 Houston Center and International Tower were cancelled for the time being.  Hines has purchased property for long-term development in the past and sat on it, so it doesn't seem that unlikely a scenario.

All that said, I would also love to see another residential high-rise in the vicinity.

• Like 1

You didn't mention the W so I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

LOL. I think he is being serious.

A 3-use tower makes perfect sense for this location. On the garage site I'd put a hotel/residence combo.

I also like keeping the tallest towers relatively close to one another, with all of them sloping up to a center like a pyramid. I'll take 'em anywhere, too.

Definitely a different appearance. Chase is a hideously ugly building that has aged poorly. The only reason why I "like" this building is because it's a supertall and the tallest in Texas. But having a building equal in height could be interesting for sure.

Just curious as to why you think it has aged poorly? Is the building in disrepair or has it suffered from neglect that has not been disclosed? I have worked on the 73rd floor going on 6 years now and I think it's one of Houston's more beautiful buildings, inside and out. Tourists queue up sometimes to take pictures on the 60th floor. I also see tourists take selfies outside with the tower in their background. Seems like an iconic, classic building.  

Count me in on wishing for a twin tower building being built one day. Not a similar or fraternal twin, but an actual twin tower.

• Like 1

I'm hearing rumors of a mixed use hotel/office/residential tower over 100 stories for this Hines owned block.

You didn't mention the W so I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

if he had mentioned ground floor retail I'd agree with you on the sarcasm, so it seems he's being serious.

• Like 1

Not sure if Howard Huge is serious but that would make a ton of sense. Just some reasons I can think of:

-On the fringe of major office buildings with existing tunnel access

-Next to existing and and new residential

-Next to existing night life/foot traffic

-Next to the theater district

-On one of the most diverse streets in Houston

-Would compliment the height of 600 Travis

My only thought about going higher than 600 Travis would be the drop off. We thought it was bad already, imagine if they went taller.

Edited by urbanize713

Not sure if Howard Huge is serious but that would make a ton of sense. Just some reasons I can think of:

-On the fringe of major office buildings with existing tunnel access

-Next to existing and and new residential

-Next to existing night life/foot traffic

-Next to the theater district

-On one of the most diverse streets in Houston

-Would compliment the height of 600 Travis

My only thought about going higher than 600 Travis would be the drop off. We thought it was bad already, imagine if they went taller.

what do you mean by drop off? Meaning it would be much higher than the others making it look awkward?

Just curious as to why you think it has aged poorly? Is the building in disrepair or has it suffered from neglect that has not been disclosed? I have worked on the 73rd floor going on 6 years now and I think it's one of Houston's more beautiful buildings, inside and out. Tourists queue up sometimes to take pictures on the 60th floor. I also see tourists take selfies outside with the tower in their background. Seems like an iconic, classic building.  

Count me in on wishing for a twin tower building being built one day. Not a similar or fraternal twin, but an actual twin tower.

Yeah I don't get that opinion either. I think this building is awesome.

• Like 1

what do you mean by drop off? Meaning it would be much higher than the others making it look awkward?

I would not say akward but just pronouced drop north of 600 Travis. If they went higher it would just be that much more pronounced, that is all I was saying. With that said I dont care, ha

Edited by urbanize713

First, it's a very dull building with little aesthetic appeal. Second, especially when you're right up next to it, the building needs power washing. There is black something (mold?) around the windows where the water runs off the building. I dunno, I just don't much care for the way it looks. Nothing personal lol. Love the height tho.

lol until the houston economy gets better we arent seeing no 100 story building. cmon lol

To be fair, he didn't say when it would start. 

They've gotta fill up 609 first anyway, so like Ralph Bivins said, I would expect it to start until 2018ish anyway, but that doesn't mean Hines doesn't know what they have and what they can build.

HAIFers will be wetting their pants for the rest of their lives.

Im sorry but this Ralph Bivins guy seems like hes just playing crap shoot guesstimating the date.. Not sure why anyone is putting stock in what he has to say. And Lockmat, what do you mean that doesn't mean "Hines doesn't know what they have.."? Are you implying Hines dropped $55 million on a random property in hopes that their investment plays out? Lulz

Edited by cloud713