Live Aqua/Dream Hotel Coming To Houston

Urbannizer

Houston will be one of the first five U.S. cities to receive a Live Aqua hotel when the parent company expands outside of Mexico for the first time.

Mexico City-based hotel operator Grupo Posadas SAB de CV and New York-based private equity firm Bighorn Capital Inc. announced June 26 they signed an agreement to introduce the luxury boutique hotel brand to major U.S. cities.

Bighorn will invest $450 million to develop the first five hotels in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Houston and Washington, D.C. These cities were chosen for their large Hispanic populations and substantial Latin American and international tourists, who may already be familiar with the Live Aqua brand.

Debút Hotel Group, a Hampshire Hotels Management company, will manage the hotels, which are expected to average 250 to 300 rooms.

No details about the Houston hotel were immediately available, but the companies’ announcement said the Chicago hotel was expected to be complete in 2017. The concept for that hotel is an 82-story high-rise.

Please tell me that isn't a picture of Houston's

Haha... No. That's just what the hotels look like in Mexico. You have to keep in mind those are coastal beach hotels... that design probably wouldn't be present in a more urban environment.

from businesswire.com

The concept for Chicago, targeted for completion in 2017, is to build an 82-story high-rise in the West Loop area, and to dual-brand the development with the Live Aqua and Dream Hotels brands.

Now we just need to see that same sentence, except "Houston" instead of Chicago

I see this as an Uptown or Galleria property more so than a downtown one. A lot of Mexican visitors tend to gravitate to uptown's retail offerings. Although, my first impulse was that this could be the hotel atop Houston First building next to the GRB.

Obviously the hotel in Chicago would not be single-use, unless there are only four rooms per floor.

On the other hand, if they had regular floorplans and a full block, everyone coming in for the Super Bowl could stay at the same place.

I agree with Naviguessor on the Uptown/Galleria location. TheGalleria is a huge draw for Latin American shoppers.

And yeah, the Chicago tower is a dual brand with a Dream Hotel in it too.

Edit: it would be awesome if they had some residences in addition to the hotel development, geared towards wealthy Hispanic nationals as part of the EB5 program or whatever.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/grupo-posadas-plans-u-s-expansion-1435266099

The Mexico City-based hospitality company owns or operates 136 hotels with more than 21,000 rooms, all in Mexico, and seven brands. The expansion will introduce to the U.S. its high-end boutique brand called Live Aqua, which will feature the “flavors, colors and textiles” of Mexico, says Javier Barrera, Posadas’ chief franchise officer.

it would be awesome if they had some residences in addition to the hotel development, geared towards wealthy Hispanic nationals as part of the EB5 program or whatever.

I was thinking the same thing. We may not get a dual-brand hotel tower but 20-30 floors of condos for Latin transplants with cash to burn would go well with this.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Any chance this could be the Dream Hotel Urbannizer posted about yesterday in another thread? Or is Hampshire Hotels Management opening two hotels in Houston?

In an article last year, this was mentioned:

Grupo Posadas, which has more than 130 hotels in Mexico, is teaming up with Bighorn Capital and Debut Hotel Group to develop five properties in the United States, one of which will be in Miami, according to a press release.

Debut Hotel Group, a Hampshire Hotels Management company and owner and operator of Dream Hotels, will manage Grupo Posadas’ Live Aqua hotels in the U.S. Bighorn, a Las Vegas-based private equity firm, is investing $450 million to develop the initial five properties, which will also be in Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston and Washington, D.C.

Each hotel will be in the 250 to 300-key range, according to the press release.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2015/07/02/mexican-hospitality-brand-to-launch-in-miami/

Grupo Posadas/Live Aqua is different than Dream Hotels. They just hired Debut Hotel Group to manage their properties. I would say it would be two separate hotels. The joint venture explains the dual branded 80+ story Live Aqua/Dream Hotel tower proposal for Chicago. Though no work has been done on the site, and last I heard, the Las Vegas developer who owned the site that the tower was supposed to be built on was facing foreclosure/bankruptcy and a lawsuit? Im not sure if there was ever a resolution, but that doesn't seem too promising.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20160202/CRED03/160209949/vegas-developer-faces-foreclosure-bankruptcy-battle-over-loop-site

• The title was changed to Live Aqua/Dream Hotel Coming To Houston

Archived