illusionescape

New mixed use building at Polk & Dowling in East Downtown?

I have seen a lot of activity at the warehouse on the north side of the Dowling-Polk intersection. They have replaced all of the windows and the upper level has been given a new stucco exterior finish with green-toned paint. Looks like it could be highrise lofts or something like that. Anyone know for sure?

TheNiche    969
I have seen a lot of activity at the warehouse on the north side of the Dowling-Polk intersection. They have replaced all of the windows and the upper level has been given a new stucco exterior finish with green-toned paint. Looks like it could be highrise lofts or something like that. Anyone know for sure?

Was originally planned as condos, but I forget whether it was being developed by Caspian Enterprises or another entity. It's nice to see progress again.

plumber2    182

That building was once owned by the Houston Chronicle, built as a small distribution center for the paper. It was rumored, mostly by Houston Post employees across that street, that the only reason the Chronicle operated out of that building was so they could keep an eye on the comings and goings at the Post.

lwood    6

That project started about 5 years ago. It's sure been open to the elements for a long time.

For a while, they were competition with Live Oak Lofts, nearby. I was told that Live Oak was marketed to investors from the east and west coasts but most of the units then went into foreclosure.

An article about the Lovett Commercial redevelopment of the former Houston Post building at 2410 Polk ( Polk & Dowling in EaDo ):

First Sign of a Post Journalism Future for an East Downtown Double Block

A number of readers have sent in pics of the sign just posted by Lovett Commercial in front of the former Houston Post building (the earlier one, not this one seeing a Chronicle redo) at the corner of Polk and Dowling in East Downtown. A company connected to Lovett owner Frank Liu purchased the former newspaper facility from the Houston Chronicle a year and a half ago. It encompasses the entire double block bounded by Polk, Dowling, Bell, and St. Charles streets. The signs advertise a restaurant-and-shopping rehab for the facility at the 2410 Polk St. address, which sits on 3.32 acres...

http://swamplot.com/first-sign-of-a-post-journalism-future-for-an-east-downtown-double-block/2015-05-12/

Photos from Swamplot:

qnchdUi.jpg

cVLJKsC.jpg

Past discussion about this on the board:

From the Ivy Lofts thread:

On 11/19/2015 at 11:47 AM, Sanjorade said:

The large building bound by Polk, Dowling, Bell, and St. Charles owned by Lovett Commercial. From what I've been told, there are several operators interested in developing that site for a grocery store.

From the downtown post office / Post HTX thread:

On 7/6/2015 at 11:22 PM, LS27 said:

The potential redevelopment of the warehouse at Polk/Dowling also looks promising, though cant say fantastic until it comes to fruition, if the execution is good. I wouldn't imagine Liu would try to recreate a Sawyer/Washington "Heights" type spot here, I think it would be at least a few notches above that.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

A rendering of the Lovett Commercial project at 2410 Polk ( Polk & Dowling in EaDo ). This is the former Houston Post building being redeveloped into a mixed-use ( restaurants, retail, entertainment, possible grocery store, and possible offices) by Frank Liu.

Historic Houston Post Building

Historic Houston Post Building - Polk St @ Dowling St

YusXHem.jpg

• Like 2

I think we're going to learn more about this re-adaptive mixed-use of the former Houston Post building (2410 Polk) next year. Frank Liu of Lovett Commercial established Polk Dowling, Ltd. last week.

Also mods @Montrose1100 @Subdude @Urbannizer can you please merge this topic into this this one, please? Thanks!

• Like 2

HNathoo    116

I've heard a few grocery tenants were looking in the area. This would be a great location. 

• Like 1

intencity77    115

I read on NextDoor that Sprouts might be opening here. Can anybody confirm that or know anything else?

Edited by intencity77
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2016 at 7:08 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I think we're going to learn more about this re-adaptive mixed-use of the former Houston Post building (2410 Polk) next year. Frank Liu of Lovett Commercial established Polk Dowling, Ltd. last week.

Also mods @Montrose1100 @Subdude @Urbannizer can you please merge this topic into this this one, please? Thanks!

On 1/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, intencity77 said:

I read on NextDoor that Sprouts might be opening here. Can anybody confirm that or know anything else?

I was right. Lovett Commercial recently created a page and marketing materials for Polk & Dowling, the historic Houston Post building at 2410 Polk. The East End is getting a Sprouts! A Trader Joe's would have been better, but Sprouts is fine. There's a CVS listed on the siteplan too.

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/Detail.aspx?idwebarea=1&webid=333

PROPERTY INFO:
• Adaptive re-use of 115,500 sf historic Houston Post and Houston
  Chronicle building
• Full bock in the heart of the East Downtown District (EaDo)
• Easy access to and from Downtown
• Retail, office and entertainment spaces available
• Pedestrian-friendly area

wn26IoI.jpg

9n6NmRc.jpg

o24e43U.jpg

T4H2OMT.jpg

• Like 5

Houston19514    2120

Just a note of caution... as we've seen many times, a retailer's name appearing on a developer's site plan does not necessarily mean much.  Note that the Lovett flyer says they have "retail, office and entertainment spaces available" but the site plan does not appear to show any available retail (or entertainment) space. It only shows the space labeled Sprouts and CVS.  Also, the rendering (which is labeled "Option 2") does not seem to match up with the site plan.

• Like 1

samagon    1976

sprouts, trader joes, aldi, lidl whatever other small grocer. I don't care who comes in. some grocery competition in the area is needed. Randalls in midtown and Kroger in the east end are it, and both have some big downsides that make me wish for more competition.

• Like 1

j_cuevas713    900

With the new Whole Foods Midtown and this new grocer on the East End, these two spots should lure further development. 

• Like 1

iah77    55

This developer owns the pad of the CVS by the coffee plant and many others like Waught so it's for sure. Sprouts has been in negotiations forever.

• Like 1