I-45 Expansion In Walker County

The Bryan District will pick up where the Houston District stopped and continue the reconstruction and expansion of I-45 to six lanes through southern and central Walker County. The first phase will be from Montgomery/Walker County line to SH19.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/i45-walker.html

This is good news. I think the goal should be to complete the widening to the north side of Huntsville as soon as possible. On the Dallas side, work is soon the begin to widen I-45 to six lanes for a long section around Corsicana and south of Corsicana.

I have been driving I-45 between Houston and Dallas multiple times per year since 2004. The usual pattern is to have heavy traffic on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (but moving at posted speeds except for occasional truck bottlenecks). But recently I have been surprised by the heavy traffic on Monday through Thursday. Now I'm tempted to try to get the traffic counts to see if my informal observations are verified by actual data.

Makes you wonder why they didn't expand the Richland Curve down to Streetman to three lanes (or at least, the possibility of quick expansion by restriping) 10 years ago when they reconstructed that segment. Lack of funding, I'd guess.

I think it's very possible that I-45 will be expanded from 4 to 6 lanes on all such 4 lane sections between Houston and Dallas. The San Antonio district is leading a similar charge for I-10. They already have funding to add a lane in each direction between I-410 & SH130 in Seguin, although they will be managed lanes. Even though it would go through the Yoakum and Austin districts, the San Antonio District would be responsible for the project from S.A. to Columbus, but I'm getting off topic. I think it was forecasted in the high speed rail line thread that the drive between Houston and Dallas will increase to 6 hours in the near future. That would hopefully help in addition to the rail line. Plus, it'll cut down on blockages caused by one big rig going 65mph passing another big rig going 64.5mph.

Geez. Highway expansion is like religion in Texas.

Eh, Texas is sort of behind the times when it comes to its major corridors. I-75 in northern Florida and southern Georgia have been triple-laned for years, as have most of the major Northeastern corridors.

• 1 year later...

TxDOT has a public meeting this month for expanding I-45 through Huntsville. The description mentions expansion to 6 main lanes, plus collector distributor lanes (length and location not disclosed).

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/bryan/112916.html

The first project in Walker County is scheduled to go to bid in December, estimated at $131 million

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2017/walker.htm#067507096

• 4 years later...
On 5/7/2015 at 7:30 AM, ADCS said:

Makes you wonder why they didn't expand the Richland Curve down to Streetman to three lanes (or at least, the possibility of quick expansion by restriping) 10 years ago when they reconstructed that segment. Lack of funding, I'd guess.

Isn't it funny, they expanded it three years after I posted this.

• The title was changed to I-45 Expansion In Walker County

Archived