i don't know upon whether or not, if anyone really knows anything regarding this particular development.  who brought forth the original renders / concepts?  one can only ponder, if this could possibly be the new st. lukes episcopal hospital, that we have all been awaiting....

• Like 1

i don't know upon whether or not, if anyone really knows anything regarding this particular development.  who brought forth the original renders / concepts?  one can only ponder, if this could possibly be the new st. lukes episcopal hospital, that we have all been awaiting....

From the renders, Gensler is listed as the architect on the lower right side.

• Like 1

Someone please tell me more about this project. 

This would be for the Texas Medical Center at the corner of Main & Holcombe, where the Bank of America building sits.

So when you said Bank of America I assumed you meant the tiny suburban style drive thru building, but no its on the other side. Using google images it censors one of the top names of who leases space. Does Bank of America lease space in this rather tall building?

Now before everyone gives up lets remember that TMC is no stranger for taking out tall buildings. From the design of the building I would say what currently sits there is at least mid-70's maybe early 80's?

Anyway I put together a quick graphic of the view the rendering shows:

QPDw5ru.png

• Like 1

So when you said Bank of America I assumed you meant the tiny suburban style drive thru building, but no its on the other side. Using google images it censors one of the top names of who leases space. Does Bank of America lease space in this rather tall building?

Now before everyone gives up lets remember that TMC is no stranger for taking out tall buildings. From the design of the building I would say what currently sits there is at least mid-70's maybe early 80's?

Anyway I put together a quick graphic of the view the rendering shows:

QPDw5ru.png

The hotels north of Main St  in this pic and the land they occupy is a good place to densify and add some mixed to the TMC. 

• Like 1

I got in touch with Smilodon. They were commissioned by Gensler to create renders for the project, but could not share any details.

Did/can they disclose when they did the renderings?  Just wondering if this was 2 months or 2 years ago

• Like 1

The TMC is a juggernaut and I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. This is an area with a high concentration of wealth, tons of young employees, and millions of patient and family visits. Hence the upcoming developments down along S Main within the loop. Throw in Hermann Park and if they redo the dome... South Houston/TMC might be the new center of Houston one day.

• Like 1

The TMC is a juggernaut and I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. This is an area with a high concentration of wealth, tons of young employees, and millions of patient and family visits. Hence the upcoming developments down along S Main within the loop. Throw in Hermann Park and if they redo the dome... South Houston/TMC might be the new center of Houston one day.

idiomas-em-ingles-com-animais.jpg

• Like 3

I'll get a bit more excited if this (or 7200 Main) ever get announced.  Or heck, even if they break ground on those apartments/Intercontinental Hotel

It seems to me that traffic congestion really holds the area back.  I know OTC is in town but it has been ridiculous down there lately..  Whenever I tell anyone I live that general area the first thing they comment on is the traffic.  I know the Galleria is awful as well but at least there are freeways cutting through

• Like 2

I'll get a bit more excited if this (or 7200 Main) ever get announced.  Or heck, even if they break ground on those apartments/Intercontinental Hotel

It seems to me that traffic congestion really holds the area back.  I know OTC is in town but it has been ridiculous down there lately..  Whenever I tell anyone I live that general area the first thing they comment on is the traffic.  I know the Galleria is awful as well but at least there are freeways cutting through

Does TMC have a bus option like Downtown has Greenlink?

I'll get a bit more excited if this (or 7200 Main) ever get announced. Or heck, even if they break ground on those apartments/Intercontinental Hotel

It seems to me that traffic congestion really holds the area back. I know OTC is in town but it has been ridiculous down there lately.. Whenever I tell anyone I live that general area the first thing they comment on is the traffic. I know the Galleria is awful as well but at least there are freeways cutting through

This place would be next to a light rail stop and large bus terminal... so that should help.
  • Like 1

I imagine the chances for this happening grow in proportion to Texas Medical Ctr leveraging its 5700+ on-site researchers and $3.6B research budget to build its momentum as a biotech hub alongside the stalwart locations for the industry (SF, Boston, San Diego).  Some milestones toward this goal: establishment of a biotech incubator (along with the incubator's first array of startups) and, in particular, a business development agreement with Johnson & Johnson to locate a fourth JLabs (thus far, the only one outside the three biotech stronghold cities) at 2450 Holcombe to open early next year.  TMC is more than a year into its ambitious plans - perhaps these recent achievements inspire the glossy rendering.

more local coverage:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/12/18/year-in-review-tmc-aims-to-translate-research-to.html?page=all

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/print-edition/2014/10/31/johnson-johnson-launch-in-houston-means-large.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/print-edition/2014/10/31/johnson-johnson-launch-in-houston-means-large.html

Edited by nonenadazilch
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

I can't wait to see what happens with this property.  This has to be one of the largest and best-located tracts available in the "traditional" Med Center footprint, so it seems it would be quickly snatched up.  It would be great to see a real high-profile development go here.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

From an email I got this morning:

Texas A&M University is planning to create an innovative engineering medical school at Houston Methodist Hospital to educate a new kind of doctor, pending appropriate approvals, who will invent transformational technology for health care, officials announced today.

Fifty physician engineers would begin their studies in Fall 2017 at the new Texas A&M University Engineering Medicine School (EnMed) at Houston Methodist Hospital. EnMed would be an integrated educational and research medical school with a focus on innovation and entrepreneurship and a part of the Texas A&M College of Medicine’s MD program and the College of Engineering. EnMed would initially hire 25 faculty members and utilize 75,000 square feet of instructional and research space in the Texas Medical Center.

“The medicine of tomorrow will not be practiced in the way that it is today. Medicine is not just about biology, it requires technology development,” said John Sharp, Chancellor of The Texas A&M University System. “This school would not only train doctors, but allow them to invent new products and take their inventions to the marketplace. EnMed would expand the health care technology market at the Texas Medical Center. The potential economic impact to the region would be huge.

• Like 1