Kroger With The Cigar Shop And KFC

IronTiger

So, I was browsing around on Supermarket News, and I found mention of a 1995 Kroger Signature store featuring a food court (with KFC Express, Taco Bell Express, and Sara Lee made-to-order sandwiches) and a leased space, Tinder Box (which I think was in malls at the time), which sold cigars and coffee. Here's a clip (not the full thing, copyright concerns, see) describing it.

HOUSTON - While supermarkets across the United States experiment with different items in their food courts, Kroger Co., Cincinnati, has added something in a store here that most probably haven't tried yet - cigars.

The division incorporated a Tinder Box Mini Store - which sells cigars, as well as espresso and cappuccino by the cup and gourmet coffees by the package - in its most recently opened signature-format store here.

The format includes a food court, featuring PepsiCo's Taco Bell Express and KFC Express and a Sara Lee made-to-order sandwich station, as well as a pizza program and other hot foods. Seating at tables and chairs accommodates at least 50 people.

The cigars, however, are strictly take-out items. Smoking is not permitted in the store, said a Kroger source at store level.

The source also told SN that the Tinder Box name, which is associated with upscale cigars and, to a lesser extent, gourmet coffee, is definitely a draw.

"I know we get some first-time customers because of Tinder Box They come in initially to buy cigars, or maybe coffee, and then come back to buy other items," he said.

Tinderbox displays 12 to 15 varieties of premium cigars, but will order others for customers from a roster of 53 products. Prices of single cigars range from $1.50 to $7.50. A box of cigars could ring up $100 or more.

The arrangement between the Kroger store and Bala Cynwyd, Pa.-based Tinder Box International is a straight lease, not tied to a percentage of sales or profits.

I'm sure the cigar box and other trappings like Taco Bell or KFC are long gone, but I'm sure the Kroger remains...anyone know which 1995 Kroger Signature it was?

EDIT: Another article mentions that Kroger had other food court stores in the area, too

• The title was changed to Kroger With The Cigar Shop And KFC

Archived