Dakota79

New 58 story residential for Austin

36 posts in this topic

It is pretty amazing that tall highrise condos come out of the ground in Austin easily but, smaller ones here in Houston seem to struggle a bit.

2 people like this

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 1:17 PM, cloud713 said:

Yeah, Austin didn't have a massive boom in the 80s like Houston. I feel sorry for its residents and the traffic they'll surely have to continue enduring.

If Austin does not a have a twenty year transportation plan it will choke itself.  I was there recently and the traffic is horrible.  It took me 2 hours to get from the airport to downtown.  They may be building highrise apartments downtown but what about corporate corporations?

Austin failed to keep up with infrastructure issues and are now paying the price. 35 is totally useless except for parking and Mopac isn't any better.

They have no east west major thoroughfares and the only way to get across town in a hurry are either 183 in the north or Ben White to the south.

Koenig 2222 is stop and go. Back in the 80's they put a moratorium on growth and this is what they have to show for it.

I will say that they are in a bigger boom than Houston is right now. Went to the Domain and spent time around the Van Zandt with all of the bars.

The place is hopping. Also the reason their buildings come out of the ground quicker is they have a shallow bedrock, something houston doesn't.

I wonder if car ferries on lady bird lake would be faster than going on 183...

1 person likes this

Austin gets a 58 story residential condo building downtown.  Houston gets .....  .......  ........

10 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Austin gets a 58 story residential condo building downtown.  Houston gets .....  .......  ........

Gross Metropolitan Product (USMayors.org Metro Economies Report)

AUS 2014   114.8 billion/yr

AUS 2015   119.5 b

AUS 2016   125.3 b

HOU 2014   523.1 b

HOU 2015   498.5 b

HOU 2016   491.3 b

That's why.

Metroeconomies_USMayors_2014-7est.pdf

Austin's massive traffic problems are likely making its downtown living relatively more attractive than it is here.  They have one downtown that is pretty much a bear to get to.  We have at least four downtown like business districts plus the actual capital D Downtown, and getting from our outer burbs to Downtown isn't nearly as punishing as it is in Austin.

The Jenga look would be appealing if the curtain wall were to be finished more like Sackman's tower coming out of the ground since August at 70 Rainey, over by I-35 -- shown here in a render of theirs passed to Culturemap this week.

IMG_0145.JPG

2 people like this

That looks like a building that is slowly being reclaimed by nature