Woodlands Parkway Westward Extension

If Woodlands Parkway is indeed extended westward to the future Aggie Expressway, does anyone else foresee a "Town Center West" kind of development? Would be rather fitting to bookend The Woodlands with higher density commercial development instead of only on the eastern side. Pinehurst Mall anyone?

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/the-woodlands/montgomery-county-voters-to-decide-fate-of-%24350-million-bond/

I would wager that The Woodlands or other influencial property owners need access and road frontage to maximize their property values. The Woodlands owns at least some property east of the current end of Woodlands parkway.

I would wager that The Woodlands or other influencial property owners need access and road frontage to maximize their property values. The Woodlands owns at least some property east of the current end of Woodlands parkway.

Traffic in that area is an absolute beast, and it's only going to get worse without additional capacity.  As it is, there are almost 100,000 residents plus others coming in to work each day, all sharing roughly a half dozen access points, most of which are two or four lanes, and that includes those pointing towards Magnolia.  Talk about the ultimate cul de sac...

Traffic in that area is an absolute beast, and it's only going to get worse without additional capacity.  As it is, there are almost 100,000 residents plus others coming in to work each day, all sharing roughly a half dozen access points, most of which are two or four lanes, and that includes those pointing towards Magnolia.  Talk about the ultimate cul de sac...

How to fix this? My thoughts are that as a start, the Woodlands Parkway and Research Forest need to be fully grade separated with SPUIs and Lake Woodlands reconfigured for grade separation at major intersections, 

Commuter rail isn't going to solve the problem of traffic within The Woodlands, nor even contribute to it significantly. You'd just see bigger traffic jams around the park and ride, and given that the park and ride would likely be on the east side of 45, due to cost, create even more stress on the choke points. The Woodlands is also designed about as badly as possible for a comprehensive rail network.

You'd have to tear the whole thing down and completely redo the road grid for local rail to be viable (not that I'm opposed to this).

My conjecture:

I see minimal benefit for the Woodlands Parkway extension, definitely not enough to justify the $22M price tag. How many residents regularly commute to the Tomball area and west? The money would be much better spent, and benefit all south county residents, by widening 2978 south to the new 249 bypass.

The two most likely scenarios for pushing the WP extension are:

1. The Woodlands township does not have property owner fees. Instead revenue is based on a local sales tax. The extension would theoretically bring in business from much wider area to enhance revenue.

2. Someone on the township board owns financial interest in property along the proposed route. Would be a good article for an investigative journalist to research.

Disclaimer: I no longer live in The Woodlands or surrounding area so have no emotional connection to the issue.

Archived