andre154

Nicholson @W 20th by Alliance Residential Heights Waterworks Reservoir, 2 Tracts)

70 posts in this topic

City Council is set to vote this week to declare the Houston Heights Waterworks Reservoir site as surplus property, and to have it appraised. 

 

http://t.co/DsQhvwFHV6

 

HeightsReservior.JPG

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love for this to be a park or shared greenspace.  But that won't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tract 1 should be street-facing retail. (Or Chase should move onto Tract 1 so their current site can be developed into mixed use w/ GFR.) It would help bridge the no-mans-land on 19th between Ashland and what is set to become a very lively cluster of restaurants at Shepherd.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has apparently been sold, pending City Council approval, to an as-yet-unnamed buyer.

 

Not clear from the article if the sale includes the second tract between 20th and 21st streets.

 

 

 

Edited by Angostura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever goes in there, part of the green space is almost certain to become a parking lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alliance Residential is set to acquire the sites. A public meeting will be held on November 29th to discuss their plans.

 

 

Edited by andre154

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tract 1 (Which I've puzzled at many times; I like the large dark bricked building.)

lUAnJxl.jpg3DRIp9P.jpg

7FE4dUe.jpgrbLDBuA.jpg

ERTUwlg.jpglfSndyC.jpgKTkRDsB.jpgcAJp4w5.jpgAEKLwaM.jpg

Tract 2 
8jn24CQ.jpg
B9HWkOm.jpgxckW2vV.jpg

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2016 at 9:05 AM, Houston19514 said:

Very interesting that they plan to save the historic structures.

 

Don't think they have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the price they're paying to acquire these sites? It seems as if it would be information available to the public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK, City Council will have to approve the sale, at which point the amount will be public, if it's not already. 

 

Apparently there were 19 bidders and Alliance submitted the highest bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i love that dark brick building too!!! love that 4th shot and i cannot wait to do a photoshoot in front of it!!! thanks for posting!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering how Alliance Residential will balance the landmark status with building a mega-complex. Anyone know what the historical status actually protects/does not protect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it requires notifications and waiting periods before you tear down a city recognized building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bedmondson said:

I believe it requires notifications and waiting periods before you tear down a city recognized building.

 

The water works is a protected landmark, which means they can't be demolished without a Certificate of Appropriateness from the HAHC, which is unlikely to be forthcoming. 

 

Anything Alliance plans for that site will have to either incorporate or build around the three existing buildings. AFAIK, this only applies to the exterior of the buildings. Alliance can pretty much do what they want with the interiors without needing a CoA.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about the other two buildings, but my first thought of the best way to save the water tank is to take the top off and make it the pool.

 

 

PJ_pool.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Angostura said:

 

The water works is a protected landmark, which means they can't be demolished without a Certificate of Appropriateness from the HAHC, which is unlikely to be forthcoming. 

 

Anything Alliance plans for that site will have to either incorporate or build around the three existing buildings. AFAIK, this only applies to the exterior of the buildings. Alliance can pretty much do what they want with the interiors without needing a CoA.

 

 

http://www.chron.com/homes/article/What-does-it-take-to-protect-a-historic-Houston-6075235.php

"The 'protected' designation means that the structure cannot be demolished or altered without the approval of the Commission," Hartgrove says. "The landmarks can proceed with an inappropriate alteration or demolition after the Commission denies their application for that activity once 90 days is up."

 

Is this Houston Chronicle article incorrect on this?  

 

Edited by bedmondson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wording in the article is confusing.

 

They're contrasting Protected Landmark status with just Landmark status. Landmarks may be altered or demoed after a 90-day waiting period; Protected Landmarks may not. The Alabama Theater (mentioned in the article) only had Landmark status. The water works has Protected Landmark status.

 

Anyone can apply for a building to be designated a Landmark, but only the property owner can apply for Protected Landmark status, which CoH did as then-owner of the water works site.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angostura said:

The wording in the article is confusing.

 

They're contrasting Protected Landmark status with just Landmark status. Landmarks may be altered or demoed after a 90-day waiting period; Protected Landmarks may not. The Alabama Theater (mentioned in the article) only had Landmark status. The water works has Protected Landmark status.

 

Anyone can apply for a building to be designated a Landmark, but only the property owner can apply for Protected Landmark status, which CoH did as then-owner of the water works site.

 

The city website indicates that the waterworks has just landmark status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The City could sell the property with deed restrictions that limit what can be done with the existing buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I care more about those massive trees on the southeast corner of Tract 2 than those buildings.

 

 

Same here! I'd love to see tract 2 turned in to a park (although, I know that won't happen). The Heights could use some more parks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2016 at 1:48 PM, Houston19514 said:

 

The city website indicates that the waterworks has just landmark status.

 

The website is incorrect. Well, partially correct. It has both Landmark and Protected Landmark status.

 

HAHC Report: https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/HistoricPres/landmarks/15PL123_Heights_Water_Works.pdf

 

City Council Minutes: http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/DisplayAgendaPDF.ashx?MinutesMeetingID=176

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now