I had Pella fiberglass windows installed about 7 years ago and I am very happy with them. The house was built in 1968 so the insulation in the walls is nothing great but the double-pane, single hung windows are a vast improvement over the original fixed glass especially regarding outside noise. They also have a low-e coating.

The windows weren't cheap; about $11,000 for 14 windows with screens and a sliding patio door installed (and I even got a professional discount) but I still consider it a good investment. By the way, fiberglass is usually more expensive than vinyl or aluminum but far less expensive than aluminum clad wood windows.

Double-pane windows are great for increasing thermal performance, especially up north where the difference between in-door and out-door temperatures can be large during the winter but they also minimize sound transmission better than single pane windows. In southern latitudes low-e (for low emissivity) is the way to go to reduce heat gain especially for windows that get direct sunlight.

You can see that the low-e glass imparts a faint color when compared to clear glass (kind of a gold color) but it is much less obvious than tinting and has a huge advantage in terms of performance, durability, and appearance over films applied to the surface of the glass.

Thanks for the recommendation. Any reason why fiberglass over vinyl? I'm still trying to decide what to go with. I was looking at Home Depot just to see what they had and these vinyl windows had good reviews and specs to match: http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Craftsman-50-Series-Single-Hung-Fin-Vinyl-Window-50-SH-FIN/203157278 

If your jambs are in good condition you might consider Jeld-wen replacement sash and avoid having to change out the whole jamb and sill assembly. They call it the Zap pack. You remove the old sashes and some of the smaller trim, install side liners, and pop in the new windows.

Grogan Lumber in the Heights is a Jeld-wen dealer and can help you with this. They may have installers they can recommend it you are not deft with a hammer. Be careful that jambs are not way out of square.

Houston is a Jeld-wen town and many builders use them.  I would go with custom measured sashes and not the default stock sizes. With stock, you might end up having to pad out the sides and top to the next size down and it looks cheap, and there is more trim to adjust.

The Jeld-wens are wood with a metal overlay on the outside. The metal is available in various colors so in theory you will not ever have to paint the exterior of the sashes. The wood has some kind of treatment and I have not seen any failures in many years. On the inside if you are going to paint, get them primed at the factory and save a step. Otherwise they are stain-grade pine color.

If your jambs are in good condition you might consider Jeld-wen replacement sash and avoid having to change out the whole jamb and sill assembly. They call it the Zap pack. You remove the old sashes and some of the smaller trim, install side liners, and pop in the new windows.

Grogan Lumber in the Heights is a Jeld-wen dealer and can help you with this. They may have installers they can recommend it you are not deft with a hammer. Be careful that jambs are not way out of square.

Houston is a Jeld-wen town and many builders use them.  I would go with custom measured sashes and not the default stock sizes. With stock, you might end up having to pad out the sides and top to the next size down and it looks cheap, and there is more trim to adjust.

The Jeld-wens are wood with a metal overlay on the outside. The metal is available in various colors so in theory you will not ever have to paint the exterior of the sashes. The wood has some kind of treatment and I have not seen any failures in many years. On the inside if you are going to paint, get them primed at the factory and save a step. Otherwise they are stain-grade pine color.

brian0123, this is a good suggestion if this is the type of window you want to replace. Aluminum-clad wood windows are really attractive and have low maintenance. innerlooper is right about the custom measured sashes too if the jambs are in good enough condition to keep. This can also keep the clad wood windows cost competitive with other types.

Fiberglass is stronger in bending than most vinyl window profiles. This is probably critical only for larger windows. Also, fiberglass is gel-coated so the color is "built in." My window frames are dark brown and fading after almost 8 years is negligible.

Archived