Street Abandonment Sign At Studemont St. And Usener St.

It would make that intersection a lot safer. Really hard to see cars approaching from i10 when you're trying to turn off of the street.

So everyone would just turn right/left out of the even worse Voight street exit instead?  Doesn't make sense.

I searched the city council notes but I couldn't find anything.

My only clue is from the HCAD maps:

http://www.hcad.org/iMaps/Tiles/Color/5358D1.pdf

That corner actually has a homeowner's yard extending over where the 'street' should be if you compare it to google maps.

I wonder if that owner is trying to officially buy that piece of land.  Looks like they just built a fence around city property and declared it theirs. The sign is awkwardly placed and seems to 'pointing' to that piece of property and not either street.

No it really does actually. The blue line is how far drivers must pull forward to turn right onto Studewood, which has an unusual incline and curve that makes it more difficult for drivers trying to take the red arrow path.

I agree it's a crappy intersection, but I'm pretty sure this person just has an old utility right-of-way on their 'property' and they are trying to get the city to abandon it.  There is no way they would just close off the street here.

Compare the outline of the house on the south side of the intersection with the outline from the HCAD map and that person has fenced in that entire triangle that belongs to the city.  Old satellite photos from google maps show it used to be a driveway/road of some sort.

Key learning here, if you want the city to give up its land, just build a fence around it and call it yours for long enough.

post-13862-0-92336600-1427397127.jpg

post-13862-0-04662300-1427397399_thumb.j

• The title was changed to Street Abandonment Sign At Studemont St. And Usener St.

Archived