Public Parks Fences And The Homeless

trymahjong

I drive by the intersection of Main and Richmond at least 3x a week for the past 3 or 4 years I had noticed an increase  this winter with the  number of homeless who used the benches at Peggy Point Plaza. Now there is a fence. I wondered if the increase of homeless  was the reason behind fencing this park.

post-6399-0-10693700-1425048012_thumb.jp

I don't know. But, the homeless, many of whom are substance abusers or mentally ill (or both) will be a significant issue for the city to grapple with as it tries to both increase its in-town residents and increase its tourism.

I have been all over Manhattan for a decade. Top to bottom. East to west. I have been asked for money once just south of Hell's Kitchen. Here in downtown Houston (a one square mile area) I get asked essentially 5-10 times a month. Sometimes 2-3 times per day. This type of activity is certainly not the kind of thing that Sally and Sam Suburb from Smallville, IA attending the quilting convention would be used to and would likely return home with a less than favorable impression of the City.

I drive by the intersection of Main and Richmond at least 3x a week for the past 3 or 4 years I had noticed an increase this winter with the number of homeless who used the benches at Peggy Point Plaza. Now there is a fence. I wondered if the increase of homeless was the reason behind fencing this park.

I drive by there almost dally, and there were 20-40 homeless people and trash everywhere. I assume that church must own the fountain or it wouldn't have been able to be fenced. (Not public property). If they would dress up that metro station,figure out a way to get the homeless camp under the elevated 59 hwy cleaned up, it would make a huge difference.

That, and redevelop that nasty Sears! How could it possibly make money?

• The title was changed to Public Parks Fences And The Homeless

Archived