Coleman Towers/Houston Community College At 1900 Pressler St.

Urbannizer

The sign on the current building really bugs me, looks like something on a strip mall.  I only point that out so hopefully we don't get a repeat

I thought this was perhaps infringing on the area noted in the renderings for 7200 Main (I'm holding onto that unlikely dream) but I don't think it does

Either way, within a few blocks you've got this (states construction starting in May), Texas Children's new 25 story tower, the 17 story hotel/apartment tower (hopefully, at least sign is still up) @ 6750 Main St, and the new DeBakey High all potentially going up around the same time

OT, but are there any plans to rework Main St through the Med Center?  I suppose it is functional, but you've now got reasonably decent concrete intersections with patchwork-quilt type asphalt in most areas.  Also, OT (but same area), I have not been impressed at all with the ReBuild Houston efforts on Holcombe (particularly West-bound) at all to this point.  They've already cut back out squares in freshly paved areas

• Like 2

For some time, the Philadelphia/New Jersey area has been attracting biotechs. Some of Houston's more promising startups have pulled up stakes and moved there.

I'd imagine it is because companies like Bayer, Pfizer, and Novartis already have huge offices in New Jersey. We will get them eventually, perhaps this governor can focus on that market as we already have enough Californians  :P

Edited by Nucleareaction

What a reaction! They are building Comcast Innovation Tech. Center 59 floors and 1,121 feet tall.  It will have a spire on it to make it taller.  It is uglier then the other Comcast Center.  Forbes rated Comcast as one the top 10 worst companies in the U.S.  I think The HCC Coleman Campus look terrific and will a nice expansion of the TMC.     

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/HCC-expands-footprint-in-Med-Center-6426074.php#photo-8416886

Houston Community College is expanding its footprint in the Texas Medical Center.

HCC is the only community college with a campus located in the heart of the Medical Center, and it will soon gain another 248,000 square feet. HCC is building a new 10-story Coleman Healthcare Educational facility, across from the college's existing Coleman campus at 1900 Pressler St.

HCC officials shared plans for the project with the community during a town hall meeting July 15 held in the auditorium of the current Coleman campus.

The community college is spending $120 million to provide students with classroom space and access to skills and simulations labs designed to replicate real hospital settings, according to an HCC representative.

The building will include an auditorium, student areas, faculty space, a reception area, administrative offices, a bookstore, a food court and a student services center. A sky bridge over Pressler Street will connect the new building to the current Coleman campus.

Tellepsen Builders is the construction manager for the project. Architectural firm HDR Inc. developed the facility's design. Groundbreaking for the new instructional campus is set for this fall. Construction is projected to finish summer 2017.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From yesterday - kinda cool seeing a crane along the bayou.  This will be 53' higher than the UT building next door (the shorter orange buildings).  The next Project Brays segment is slated to be through this section, and the (hopefully) eventual 7200 Main site is to the left.  And yes, that's a small, perennial homeless encampment under the Greenbriar bridge

vwnd3keh.jpg

• Like 4

There was a movie theater at this location way back when. I remember taking a date there when I was in college, however, I can't remember the name of the theater, the name of the feature, nor the name of my date. ha!

I walked by this site the other day, and walked around back along the bayou and then back up to Fannin St. I'm curious as to how the UT Health building sets so close to the bayou bank, while this building and the existing Coleman campus property line is much further back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, plumber2 said:

I walked by this site the other day, and walked around back along the bayou and then back up to Fannin St. I'm curious as to how the UT Health building sets so close to the bayou bank, while this building and the existing Coleman campus property line is much further back. 

That appears to be the UT Health parking garage, and it really does intrude - the upper trail just squeezes by it, and there are obvious issues with erosion.  I'm guessing they will have to use a wall along that section with Project Brays as I'm not sure how else you could widen the channel

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...