20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on purchasing an Apple Watch?

• Definitely
    • Maybe
    • No

Well, after years of rumors, the Apple watch (formerly know as the iWatch) will finally be available in 6-8 weeks. I have been very interested in purchasing a fitness band/smart watch recently, and I do own an iPhone, so though the expensive price, I am planning on purchasing one. 

The watch comes in the different styles:

Apple Watch Sport ($349) which comes in blue, green, black, white, and pink and is optimized for more active people

Apple Watch ($450-$550) which comes in a series of different metals, looks more like a traditional watch

Apple Watch Edition ($4,000+) which comes in different types of 18 karat gold and is for those who have too much money and don't know what to do with it.

Is anyone else interested/planning on purchasing one, when it's released in April?

I am not interested in the iWatch (mainly cause I don't care for the iPhone), but I am very interested in a smart watch.

I have one very important need though, not needing to be charged every day. As soon as all the android watches released I was very keen to see what kind of battery life they featured, but every one of them has to be charged nightly, or every other day. I won't spend my money unless it can go at least a week.

This seemed like a unrealistic expectation and I'd be relegated to wearing regular old watches for a while to come.

Then Swatch sprung something a few weeks ago. They've been developing their own smartwatch. The headline feature (for me at least) is that they are claiming it won't need to be charged. As in ever. I imagine this means it will have limited capability as an actual smartwatch, but this may be a good middle ground at least until battery technology catches up with people's desires.

It's doubly good for me, cause I have about 15 different swatches to choose from sitting on my dresser at home (ie, I'm a huge fan of the brand). And since I buy a new one pretty much every year, when this one releases, it will be my one swatch I buy this year.

I have the Moto 360. It's so sexy people keep asking me if it's the Apple Watch. I am actually disappointed in the Apple Watch... looks ugly compared to the Moto 360 and I actually had really high hopes for Apple. Not too impressed on the battery life specs I've heard for their watch either. I think it's advantage though will be all the things you will be able to do with that. That's what I'm looking forward to...we'll see. I definitely wouldn't buy the first generation but maybe the second generation will be better.

• 3 weeks later...

While I think its a snazzy product, I agree that the battery life is a major problem.

They said 18 hrs... normal use...  but that's very optimisitc.

From - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11461317/Apple-Watch-battery-lasts-as-little-as-three-hours.html  ..  Could be as little as 3 hrs Talk time.

Also.... I hate getting one product just to find it outdated the next yr... and they've already annouced the iShoe for next yr.. So I'll wait.

maxwell_smart_with_shoe_phone.jpg

I have a Pebble watch. It's quite annoying. A watch that needs to be charged regularly is not much fun. I also found that having private messages display on my wrist might not be the best idea, so I only use it as a watch now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Totally going to wait for the next Moto 360. Apple is just behind and way too expensive in this regard. It will be successful and make the smartwatch market more prominent but I am not too impressed.

Many Apple products didn't really approach maturity and real-world utility until the second generation. Remember what the first-gen iPhone was like compared to the second-year model? The less charitable view is that they have a track record of using their customers as beta testers, but early adopters of any new hardware (Apple or otherwise) should expect some teething pains. 

• 1 month later...

So I bloke last week. moto 360 for $170 on play store was too much to pass.

Not my every day watch for sure, I still prefer a swatch, but it is a great watch to go into the rotation of other watches.

the stock watch faces it came with were kind of limited, but for $2 I got an app that gives me access to thousands of watch faces, and allows me to customize my own.

It's nice to hear the phone ring, and look at my wrist to see who's calling, rather than having to fish in my pocket, only to see it's a telemarketer. It's nice to get a notification and read it before I decide if I need to fish the phone out of the pocket.

I don't think I'd pay over $250 for one just yet, but for under $200 it was a pretty easy decision.

Archived