Bellaire HEB At 5106 Bissonnet St.

Mab

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can imagine designing an urban store on a weird shaped parcel like that is difficult...

however, it also looks a bit awkward. Sidewalks looking a bit small and zero trees along the roadsides make it even worse.

I like the urban concept, however I am not sure if the aesthetic is charming or even attractive.

dont hate me ❤️

Avossos, I am with you in regards to the sidewalk and harsh aesthetic.  It is surprising how close to the street the building is, which can put pedestrians between a wall and a bumper, with not escape route in a bad situation.  Not really a secure feeling when walking.  And, I am sure that those walls will suffer some hits over time.  But, I am convinced that those are trellises between the stone arches and probably on the fences on the garage.  Will probably be filled with Jasmine...of course.  This would soften the building's look, significantly...since there is No room for trees...what-so-ever. 

10 hours ago, br0ken_shad0w said:

The original render still had trees so we'll see if they stick to that plan.

The trees in the rendering were only in front of the actual store building; not in front of the parking deck section.  From the photos above, it looks like they will be following that plan. (In Urbannizer's April 16 photo, you can see what appear to be tree wells in the sidewalk.)

• 3 weeks later...

Bellaire Market Grand Opening

https://www.heb.com/static-page/bellaire-market-grand-opening

Bellaire Market H‑E‑B opens on Wednesday, June 27, 2018. Located at 5106 Bissonnet in Bellaire, we are open daily from 6am – 11pm.

When it comes to freshness, convenience and variety, you'll find everything here at your new H‑E‑B Bellaire Market. We proudly offer an outstanding selection and a local destination for unsurpassed quality and service while keeping H‑E‑B's pledge to offer everyday low prices.

Messaged Mr. Scott McClelland about a ribbon cutting.  It appears they are not going to have a opening ceremony party like Central Market did.  All I hear is "6:00 AM is the grand opening".  I doubt they're having a ribbon cutting party at 6:00 AM.  Maybe H-E-B execs and the media are having their party the day prior? Not a public event.

Received this in the mail.

wsn6Z4g.jpg

Hf2JUGQ.jpg

Saw interior pictures on the chron and its mildly extremely disappointing. Looks like a a run of the mill grocery. Not even as interesting as the West U HEB or my favorite, Montrose HEB. I guess all the budget went to the two story structure. Not very upscale for one of the richest zip codes in the USA.

On 6/26/2018 at 0:55 PM, texas911 said:

Saw interior pictures on the chron and its mildly extremely disappointing. Looks like a a run of the mill grocery. Not even as interesting as the West U HEB or my favorite, Montrose HEB. I guess all the budget went to the two story structure. Not very upscale for one of the richest zip codes in the USA.

Is this the slide show to which you are referring?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/H-E-B-opens-first-double-decker-store-in-Houston-13028941.php

So, I went by to check it out at noon.  It Was Packed.  And parking was a mess...but, I was expecting that, for today anyway.  Impression wasn't bad.  It has all the stuff that you would expect from a new HEB.  But, it doesn't have the same, airy, sunshiny feeling that both Montrose or West U have.  There just are not as many windows nor skylights. So, it has a florescent lit atmosphere, which isn't as nice.  There also didn't seem to be any café seating anywhere, which has also recently disappeared at West U, in favor of seasonal sale items. 

I think both West U and Montrose were designed by LAKE/FLATO, which cost quite a bit more than a "normal" store.  I am sure that Bellaire, spent a ton on the parking structure and were not able to afford a glass palace on the top. 

OK so I went to check out the new HEB Bellaire. And yes, its not as crafted as the Montrose/WestU HEBs, no rich textures nor warm palette of wood or greenery, but its OK. The front entrance on the second floor tries to make it feel airier than it really is, but as you get to the rear of the store, its all florescent lights and low ceilings. But getting to the rear is the saving grace for this store, it is positively huge! Compared to the previous HEB Bellaire and especially the West U one. The selections are insane. Its surprising how large the footprint is. So well done HEB. Still wish they had the conveyer belt system to get up to the second floor like they do in San Antonio, but heard that the city of Bellaire nixed that. Well, its fun to watch you cart ride a funicular beside you! 

Oh, and they have a light system in the garage with red/green lights to tell you where there are open spots. Nice. It would have been nicer if it told you how many spots were open as you entered!

The new Meyerland HEB is more than a year away.  It will undoubtedly take some pressure off this one.

I drove by the first day, mid-afternoon.  Bissonnet west bound was one lane with a traffic cop directing traffic in and out of the entrance along Bissonnet.  I wonder how often they'll have to provide that service?

I haven't been yet, plan to go this week.

I was sitting in traffic musing about what effect this store will have on the big Fiesta on Hillcroft or the Seller's Brothers on Gulfton.  i totally, completely and utterly forgot about the Randall's right across the street.  Not at all surprising - I never go to Randall's.

The Randalls certainly is easier to get in and out, and they recently remodeled, most noticeably getting rid of the seating area in the front (mostly served as a place for bus riders to loiter). The H-E-B...well, it's an H-E-B. There's no up escalator for empty carts, so you have to take the freight elevators in the front. The parking lot is confusingly laid out with not enough places to put carts (no grassy islands), and my favorite brand of white bread (which Kroger almost NEVER sells) was stale.

Archived