Le Meridien Hotel At 1121 Walker St.

dbigtex56

On 8/26/2016 at 6:25 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

12months ago, I hated this building,. 4 months ago, I hated the green tiles.

now, I dig it (provided they pressure was the ledges like the one on the lower floor end).

very cool building emerging.

I done told y'all you were going to love the turquoise tiles... lol

• Like 1

I-CANNOT-TELL-A-LIE-LOGO.png

^^^ sorry HAIF!  you guys know that i love you.  however, i just cannot go on with this charade.  i have been trying for months and months now to somehow fall in love with this LE MERIDIEN downtown houston design / construction phase, and i can't... i just can't!  those horrendous turquoise tiles have got to be the most GOD AWFUL and CHEAPEST turn of the century looking crap that i have ever witnessed!  MY GOD this is ugly!  LE MERIDIEN has not been within the houston hotel market for decades, and now they finally come back to us with something like this?  i have tried, tried, tried, and tried to love this shocking mess... but i just cannot!  in my most earnest view, it would have been so much better if they had just completely gutted out this building by each floor, and take out ALL of the windows, railings, and tiles etc... then replace ALL with the new highly transparent state of the art window walls... just like they now have at the GRB convention center.  (this would have been beautiful... a bit more costly, but indeed beautiful)  i just cannot comprehend the over fixation of these GOD AWFUL, cheap looking turquoise tiles?  MY GOD this is ugly.....  

So many of our commercial MCM buildings are either gone or modified to a different time's tastes that it's good to see one being brought back as what car people would call a "resto - mod" - an appearance hewing close to the original while including modern functionality under the covers.  

Some people might not like turquoise tile (or any of the other bright colors from the MCM era, as evidenced by the seeming popularity of gray everything at the moment); others may cringe at the sight of Beaux-Arts, post modern ornamentation, or blue mirrored glass everywhere... but it would be danged boring without that mix.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, monarch said:

I-CANNOT-TELL-A-LIE-LOGO.png

^^^ sorry HAIF!  you guys know that i love you.  however, i just cannot go on with this charade.  i have been trying for months and months now to somehow fall in love with this LE MERIDIEN downtown houston design / construction phase, and i can't... i just can't!  those horrendous turquoise tiles have got to be the most GOD AWFUL and CHEAPEST turn of the century looking crap that i have ever witnessed!  MY GOD this is ugly!  LE MERIDIEN has not been within the houston hotel market for decades, and now they finally come back to us with something like this?  i have tried, tried, tried, and tried to love this shocking mess... but i just cannot!  in my most earnest view, it would have been so much better if they had just completely gutted out this building by each floor, and take out ALL of the windows, railings, and tiles etc... then replace ALL with the new highly transparent state of the art window walls... just like they now have at the GRB convention center.  (this would have been beautiful... a bit more costly, but indeed beautiful)  i just cannot comprehend the over fixation of these GOD AWFUL, cheap looking turquoise tiles?  MY GOD this is ugly.....  

I don't think it's a charade if some appreciate the style and reference to the jet set era in which this building was born from. Floor to ceiling windows would be cool... but the tiles give it more flavor & authenticity.

I'm more excited to see how the interior turns out. 

• Like 5

I'm really not trying to be that guy who thinks just because he has seen it in person that he is the authoritative opinion, but the tiles do not look good at all in person. The green is great, just not the tiles.

Who here that has seen it in person likes it? Just curious. 

The rendering looks interesting in a 'different' sort of way.

I like that if I am giving directions that this will be easy to direct to.

That is wherected Alessandra fails. They had a chance to make a standout hotel but instead went for  a "let me blend in with the background" hotel.

This is not going to win any beauty contests in my book, but based on the renderings it goes under the I like it for its quirkyness pile.  

A district with all glass boxes is rather boring. I like a mix of materials,  shapes, heights, etc. 

They are repurposing instead of Demoing. Plus 1.

They are restoring close to the original condition.  Plus 2.

It adds interest and variety to our downtown.  Plus 3.

Hotels = people who do not disappear after 5pm. Plus 4.

Might add to the retail fabric. Plus 5.

Sorry Monarch,  gonna have to disagree with you on this one based on the renderings.  I may have a different opinion when I see it in person, but I'm digging the pictures so far

• Like 4

^^^ @HoustonIsHome no need to be sorry my good pal.  however, please recall that i stated that i have been trying earnestly for months and months to try and fall in love with this LE MERIDIEN restoration.  (i was trying my best to present EVERY detail... old and new, the benefit of the doubt) not to mention, those renderings are not new, those renderings have been within this thread at the very beginning for months and months now.  this is the primary reason that i was trying to give this project the benefit of the doubt... because of these aforementioned renderings.

nonetheless, EVERY TIME that i view a current illustration of those GOD AWFUL (want to be turquoise tiles) it makes me think of the old illustrations that i used to see when i first moved to houston in the 80's regarding the old METHODIST HOSPITAL, and their old turn of the century aesthetics.  that's right, those old bluish / greenish tiles remind me of an old worn out sterile hospital of the 1950s.  my pal, illustrations simply do not lie!  the original exterior of this edifice is downright horrible.  in fact, upon my view, it doesn't even fit with the current aesthetics of downtown houston's burgeoning architecture.

LE MERIDIEN had a wonderful opportunity to perform something very special here in downtown houston.  we now have SEVERAL new downtown hospitality properties being constructed and from what i have heard, many are now in the development stages.  therefore, COMPETITION is going to be at a all time high in regards to hotel properties within this downtown region / district.  anyone with any sense should realize that once the MARRIOT MARQUIS comes online with all of its astounding, modern, and glorious amenities, it is going to prove very difficult to keep up with them.  heck, even the FOUR SEASONS is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation as we speak because their management is keenly aware of just what all the MARRIOT'S property is now poised for.  (the MARRIOTT is going to be a HIT within this convention district) i now foresee the HILTON AMERICAS coming forth sooner rather than later with some form of renovation plans as well.... THEY HAVE NO CHOICE!

LE MERIDIEN should have completely GUTTED OUT this structure and basically started from scratch.  they could have restructured this property in the same manner that the JW MARRIOTT did.... gut out the old, and bring in the new and make it COMPLETELY GORGEOUS.  

additionally, yes, i think that this current mess is shockingly UGLY!  however, i am still relying upon the magic of the LE MERIDIEN that i know... to PLEASE somehow change my heart.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Texasota said:

The concrete lips are pretty filthy as well. I imagine a final exterior cleaning will wait until after they finish closing it up, installing the storefronts, fixing the canopy etc.

Agreed.  The concrete is likely an easy fix: pressure wash and paint.  But those tiles might be more challenging.  Hope they get it right!

That's normally the case, but this mesh is right up against the brick.  I would have expected it to be a few feet away from the wall so someone could be inside working on it.  I am under the impression that they will be cleaning and repointing the brick so somehow they need access to it.