Le Meridien Hotel At 1121 Walker St.

dbigtex56

I know this is off topic but what would you guess the cost of building that same style with the original materials and plans nowadays? Of course with modern fire protection etc. I know the Marriott was redone in a reasonable fashion but would brick and ornate details really be that expensive?

I know this is off topic but what would you guess the cost of building that same style with the original materials and plans nowadays? Of course with modern fire protection etc. I know the Marriott was redone in a reasonable fashion but would brick and ornate details really be that expensive?

Very, very expensive. First, most architects are not trained to design in historical styles. Walk through your typical architecture school and look at the projects and everyone is trying to be the next Frank Gehry or Calatrava. Whereas back then, people really got an education in the historical styles, the proportions, the endless vocabulary of all the different details, etc.

Then, all the companies and infrastructure that existed to supply ornament for a building like that are no more. Where are you going to get cast stone (let alone real carved stone) pieces like that nowadays? Not as cheaply as when there were dozens of buildings going up in every city placing orders. And how much are your stone carvers going to cost if you decide to go that route? Will they work as cheaply as the half-starved Italian immigrant stone laborers did a hundred years ago? Probably not.

All that said, it can be done. Look at the new Old Parkland buildings by the Trammell Crow family in Dallas. That is first rate historical architecture. It's all very big and inflated, as one can expect from our era, but the details and proportions are there. And Rice built bona fide historic-style buildings for the Baker School and Jones School of Management 15 years or so ago. But the people who build this kind of stuff have deep pockets and are generally owner-occupants. A developer building an investment property is unlikely to splurge on history.

The best way to have historic architecture, it must lastly be said, is not to tear down historic buildings.

• Like 6

If you're happy with how the Marriott turned out, then no. Actually doing a good job would be significantly (impractically) more expensive.

The interior is beyond. The exterior, I just have to say "That'll do pig... that'll do".

Very, very expensive. First, most architects are not trained to design in historical styles. Walk through your typical architecture school and look at the projects and everyone is trying to be the next Frank Gehry or Calatrava. Whereas back then, people really got an education in the historical styles, the proportions, the endless vocabulary of all the different details, etc.

Then, all the companies and infrastructure that existed to supply ornament for a building like that are no more. Where are you going to get cast stone (let alone real carved stone) pieces like that nowadays? Not as cheaply as when there were dozens of buildings going up in every city placing orders. And how much are your stone carvers going to cost if you decide to go that route? Will they work as cheaply as the half-starved Italian immigrant stone laborers did a hundred years ago? Probably not.

All that said, it can be done. Look at the new Old Parkland buildings by the Trammell Crow family in Dallas. That is first rate historical architecture. It's all very big and inflated, as one can expect from our era, but the details and proportions are there. And Rice built bona fide historic-style buildings for the Baker School and Jones School of Management 15 years or so ago. But the people who build this kind of stuff have deep pockets and are generally owner-occupants. A developer building an investment property is unlikely to splurge on history.

The best way to have historic architecture, it must lastly be said, is not to tear down historic buildings.

Well I know it would be a very distinct group of people who are not trained per say, but knowledgeable? I know the time has long passed when people were able to draft and design their own homes, but there must be specialized craftsmen and women who know the ins and outs of past styles. Very expensive, I guess is the answer to my question. 

I'm sure getting carved stone with today's technology and precision wouldn't be hard necessarily, just purchasing the stone in large quantities (shipping, construction, you name it). 

Stucco and Styrofoam are the only feasible options today to replicate this? Brick is sill used. It would be a wet dream to have The Sterling Hotel built like the original proposal, but it would be more realistic and ideal to have smaller buildings that occupy lots Downtown to mimic the charm and characteristics of that time. Rather than a blasphemous Renoir Lofts ;).

A shame at the price of practicality and profit we have lost so much passion and interest. Such is life.

Anyways, Back on to the Le Meridien. It's refreshing to see this building saved and used in a good way. 

The only part that you can see from this side of the paywall

Nice historic photo of, and I liked the explanation of how they did it

Right now, it's a sad-looking skyscraper at the corner of Walker and San Jacinto. Been that way for quite some time actually.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/bayou-city-history/article/The-Melrose-Building-is-one-of-Houston-s-6668309.php#photo-9040608

I think the original James Coney Island was not on Main Street but on either Walker or Rusk east of Main

street. I remember going there in the 50's. The chairs were reminiscent of the old wooden school desks

where the desk folded up from a side position.

I think the original James Coney Island was not on Main Street but on either Walker or Rusk east of Main

street. I remember going there in the 50's. The chairs were reminiscent of the old wooden school desks

where the desk folded up from a side position.

Here's what James Coney Island has to say on the matter:

Nestled on the ground floor of the Beatty-West Building on Walker and Main in downtown Houston, the first James Coney Island opened its doors in 1923

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...