Melrose Building to be Redeveloped into a Le Meridien

fkp5    463

Le Meridien.

Wow, this is great news!

Edited by fkp5
  • Like 2

monarch    2734

logo_le_meridien.jpg

initially, i was thinking omni brand as per this particular development.  however, le meridien is simply the perfect choice high above the GRB.

i have lodged at many of these hotels throughout the middle east, and i really enjoy their courteous staffers / services.

houston, is getting it's groove back....

• Like 4

UtterlyUrban    1360

So, what does this news about le Meridian mean?

Will the hotel be constructed as part of this current construction or, will construction start some years hence (after the office/garage construction)?

cloud713    3536

considering the plan is to have the hotel opened by mid 2017, i would say they are constructing the whole tower at once.

• Like 4

Houston19514    2113

AWESOME!!!! This one will make us forget about the other disappointment.  :)

One would think. But nobody clings to disappointment like HAIFers.

• Like 5

cloud713    3536

is there a link to the Le Meridien info? should that be put in the thread title now? i feel like a bunch of people arent noticing it and there should be more excitement about this. haha

but in all honestly..

this is the most mixed use building to ever go up in Houston.

ground floor retail/restaurants
intermodal transit center
1,900 space parking garage
office building podium
and a freaking LE MERIDIEN to top it all off.

the only thing that could make this sweeter is if the le meridien had residences too.

• Like 4

cloud713    3536

Right? I assume they will have it when they make the official announcement. Le Meridiens are usually pretty cool looking

• Like 1

urbanize713    776

The one in NOLA opened in December I believe? If the interiors look anything like those this will be a home run.

Also, who would have thought that two of the more rare hotels flags would be flying directly next two the GRB. Great times in Houston.

• Like 4

fernz    338

but in all honestly..

this is the most mixed use building to ever go up in Houston.

If you don't count the Galleria

cloud713    3536

If you don't count the Galleria

moo, that only has retail, hotel, and office.

This has retail, hotel, office, and intermodal transit center.

• Like 1

Urbannizer    29877

I'm sorry I guys. I didn't realize it until earlier today that the proposed Le Meridien may not be connected to this proposal. There's a chance that the Le Meridien will be a new building altogether for Downtown.

The hotel brand for this proposed hotel will be announced officially this Spring, but in the meantime I'm going to split all post on the Le Meridien brand into a new thread.

HC2415.pdf

• Like 3

fkp5    463

This is even better news with it being a new construction. Do you know where this may be going in downtown?

• Like 1

Triton    8661

I'm sorry I guys. I didn't realize it until earlier today that the proposed Le Meridien may not be connected to this proposal. There's a chance that the Le Meridien will be a new building altogether for Downtown.

The hotel brand for this proposed hotel will be announced officially this Spring, but in the meantime I'm going to split all post on the Le Meridien brand into a new thread.

attachicon.gifHC2415.pdf

Maybe this is finally coming to life: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27262-city-selling-dt-block-101-for-development-capitolruskcrawfordamericas/?p=483552

• Like 1

cloud713    3536

yeah i was wondering about that site. it will be interesting to see who is going to nab the site next door to/south of OPP, west of Embassy Suites (assuming it hasnt been bought already and is available for sale). thats one of the last remaining properties with decent sight lines of discovery green, unless someone builds something on the same block as ES.

• Like 2

UtterlyUrban    1360

Personally, I don't think that this will be a new structure in downtown. I think it will be in the Houston First planned hotel space.

If it really is yet another hotel on another parcel, I would be surprised.

There are a lot of hotel rooms coming on line within a year or two in downtown. Probably something like 2000 new rooms (JW, holiday inn, Marriott Concention, Houston First, Greenstreet, humble apartments, Hampton inn or whatever it is under construction now, the mysterious aloft hotel..... Did I miss any?).... That is a lot of new capacity. I am struggling to think that developers will plan yet another one.....

Le Meridien will go into the Houston First building.... That's my prediction.

Montrose1100    2631

Le Meridien.

Question Time!

This brochure lists 6 Houston Center as "active construction". Can you remind me what the 40 story residential tower is that Trammel Crow is building? Is that the Orange Dreamsicle by the Kim Garage?

There is nothing in the link that suggests a Le Meridien only that there would be an announcement this spring about the hotel above the GHP Tower. Although the 300-400 room hotel does fit within their usual American portfolio. 

Moore713    297

Except Urban even with the new hotels Houston is still a mid tier Hotel space Downtown and is not even on the same footing as it tier cities. .Dallas, ATL, etc

• Like 1

cloud713    3536

The 40 story is the skinny one planned just west of the Marriott.

The Le Meridien info was in the PDF file linked most recently.