I am fine with some of the suburban stores. I would really like another large movie theater inside the Loop. All we have right now is Edwards, plus a couple smaller options that show less mainstream films (e.g. Sundance Cinemas, River Oaks). A large AMC theater with some Cinema Suites screens would be quite nice to serve the influx of new residents inside the Loop. This may be a few years off.

• Like 1

Most of the northern edge of this property is at a different grade than the frontage road. Does the NW corner of this land have access to the feeder, or will it have to be accessed via the Kroger and/or Summer St?

Given that this is surrounded on all four sides by big box retail, freeway and railroad, those expecting walkable mixed use may want to temper their expectations.

• Like 2

Most of the northern edge of this property is at a different grade than the frontage road. Does the NW corner of this land have access to the feeder, or will it have to be accessed via the Kroger and/or Summer St?

Given that this is surrounded on all four sides by big box retail, freeway and railroad, those expecting walkable mixed use may want to temper their expectations.

City Center is in a similar island, yet they made walkable design work.

• Like 1

High chance that it will be a suburban style development, but a strip mall thingy with a [central market, whole foods, trader joes], [nordstrom, saks, neiman marcus discount store], twin peaks, in-n-out burger, torchy's tacos and other austiny places, alamo drafthouse (or alike), or whatever else caters to the hippish/well-offish will probably piss off a lot less heightsters and heightster wannabes than an equally pedestrian unfriendly strip mall with a Ross, Fiesta, you-name-it mattress store, applebees, jack in the box, lubys, and maybe another starbucks to top it off. They should just make the whole 21 acres into a bass pro shops for all the city-country folks.

• Like 4

Here is a letter I sent to the winning bidders yesterday.

I congratulate you on your winning bid. I believe that you have made a very wise and calculated move that will serve you well in the future.

I must say that I'm concerned with a suburban developer coming into this part of town and putting together a suburban designed mix use development.

At a time when more and more people are moving to cities at unprecedented rates, this is not the time to develop a suburban designed project for the inner loop, especially this close to downtown.

Those are all well and good out in Katy, Sugarland, The Woodlands and Pearland. However the city's working hard to develop a more urban feel and we don't need another cookie cutter shopping mall practically in downtown. So I hope that you either partner with a company that has successfully produced urban mixed use developments, environments for the 21st century, or that you hire a really good urban planning architecture firm who knows what they're doing. We'll be watching with anticipation to see your plans for this tract and how you plan on approaching this inner city site.

Wishing you and the inner city the best of luck with this venture.

And here is the response from the president of Gulf Coast Commercial Tom Lile

Bob,

We are working hard to develop a plan we believe will be embraced by the surrounding neighborhoods and future tenants of our project.

Thank you for your thoughtful note.

Best,

Tom Lile

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lorraine Beddingfield <lorraine.beddingfield@gulfcoastcg.com>

Date: February 3, 2015 at 1:28:34 PM CST

To: Tom Lile <tl@gulfcoastcg.com>

Subject: FW: gulf coast wins 21 acre parcel bid

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 6

Best Buy, Michael's, Sephora, Leslie's Pool Supply.  And maybe a Fry's since it looks like Radio Shack is going away.

And I don't think any of those will displace an existing small, family-owned business in the Heights.

I'd love to see a Fry's there, but given the locations of their other stores and the fact that they apparently haven't ever deemed an inner-loop store needed up until now, I'm not holding my breath waiting for one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Devil is in the details, but that sounds like very good news.  I was very afraid that a developer would get weak kneed at the energy markets and just strip mall it up.  There are so many great things happening in the 1st Ward and so much potential for further growth.  The Tarkett property can really be the make or break development for the area.

• Like 1