Wow... now people are claiming Midway (or as Nextdoor user put it... the people behind City "Center") owns land on Washington Ave. This thread just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

Midway did buy the land the apartments are on... I swore that really happened. Am I completely confused,

• Like 2

Midway did buy the land the apartments are on... I swore that really happened. Am I completely confused,

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/12/23/washington-avenue-apartments-sold-to-local.html

There was a brief mention of the apartments recently in the HBJ Weekly Edition. Midway is in the very early conceptual stages of redevelopment for the land, but the apartments will stay for a few more years.

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/12/23/washington-avenue-apartments-sold-to-local.html

There was a brief mention of the apartments recently in the HBJ Weekly Edition. Midway is in the very early conceptual stages of redevelopment for the land, but the apartments will stay for a few more years.

Thanks. At least I'm not crazy.

I am very excited for what midway comes up with at that location!

• Like 1

midway did purchase land on washington on top of being the developer for the lionstone tract on waugh and memorial. no idea on the rest of the information other than gulf coast commercial stating on several occasions that they are heavily considering the states first big box vertical development, so that much checks out.

• Like 5

Ah that is right, but in the Nextdoor section, people were mentioning the Core on Washington. That isn't owned by Midway. Thanks for the reminder. Some of this seems far fetched but Archstone could potentially turn into an HEB. The Kroger is highly unlikely to be bulldozed.

HEB on Waugh and Washington has become a bit of a running inside joke on nextdoor.  Every time there is a discussion about a new development, everyone ends up posting about how they wish that there would be a new HEB.  Someone speculated about the Archstone property and it just sort of caught on as a nextdoor meme. 

HEB is pretty rigid in its requirements for a new store.  They will not build on less than 6 acres and have no desire to try a smaller store concept.  In fact, they seem to be happy building bigger and bigger.  I am sure they will eventually find a spot near the Heights. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HEB on Waugh and Washington has become a bit of a running inside joke on nextdoor.  Every time there is a discussion about a new development, everyone ends up posting about how they wish that there would be a new HEB.  Someone speculated about the Archstone property and it just sort of caught on as a nextdoor meme. 

HEB is pretty rigid in its requirements for a new store.  They will not build on less than 6 acres and have no desire to try a smaller store concept.  In fact, they seem to be happy building bigger and bigger.  I am sure they will eventually find a spot near the Heights. 

They did rebuild a smaller store in San Antonio as two levels, and there's rumors that the new Bellaire store will be two level too (unless I missed something). I hate to tell you, but despite what analysts say, grocery stores tend to build bigger. H-E-B's smallest new stores nearly approach 70k square feet, and an 80k square foot Wegmans (very popular in the Northeast) is considered "small" by their standards. Frankly, I can understand why they don't have a smaller store concept, as everyone just whines and complains about how small the former Pantry stores are.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Funny you posted that.. was fueling up at Krogers when I noticed this. So many excavators on site. It's quite impressive actually. Some of that steel is already gone and the fencing around the site is down too. They've cleared a large portion in the back already.

• Like 1

Probably sound like a broken record but this demolition is incredible. They are almost half way done with the massive steel structure. Never seen a demo go this fast.

It seems like they are taking it apart piece by piece rather than using an excavator to just pull it all down. It's hard to tell from the freeway as I go by, but it looked like there were guys on top unbolting the steel.