52 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So what exactly is the city of Houston's planning and development dept doing?

They're not really empowered to do a whole lot. They enforce Chapter 42, and can allow variances under certain circumstances, but that's about it. When someone sells a site like this for development, they don't have a whole lot of say in how it gets developed.

In theory, back when Sawyer Heights was being developed, the City could have used eminent domain powers to secure rights of way to extend Spring, Shearn and Crocket Streets to Oliver, then replatted the area as smaller reserves. They could then have extended those streets further, to Studemont, when the additional parcels became available several years later. Now, however, there's no street grid to connect to, so it's very hard to make a convincing eminent domain argument for this parcel.

However, in order to have done this for Sawyer Heights (where Target it now), in addition to an uncanny ability to see the future, the city would have had to pay for the RoW. At $40/sf, it'd be $9M; more if they acquired ROW for north-south streets as well. In addition to paying for the RoW (and the lawyers for when they have to defend the taking in court), the city would be forgoing its portion of the property tax on the land they acquired for RoW, plus its portion of the sales tax revenue on a pretty big commercial development, as presumably much of the development would shift to residential after the re-plat.

So for it to have made sense, the additional property tax revenue from denser development and subsequent appreciation in value would have to compensate for the cost to acquire the RoW, PLUS the forgone property tax revenue, PLUS the forgone sales tax revenue. And that additional property tax revenue probably wouldn't have kicked in until well after the end of the then-mayor's term. Oh, and the city would have had to have several million dollars laying around to do all this.

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing this is a result of the traffic impact analysis. What I think they'll do is:

• extend the left turn lane that allows cars to enter the Kroger development from SB Studemont 
  • provide a right turn lane for cars on NB Studemont to turn onto the EB 1-10 feeder
  • re-configure the median on Studemont to extend the left turn lane (from NB Studemont to WB I-10)
  • provide a right-turn lane for those entering the development from the EB I-10 feeder

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now a mixed-use development.

[/quote]

Lower Heights District, a mixed-use development that's in the pre-development stages, is being planned for a site on the east side of Studemont Street and south side of Interstate 10 next to the Kroger at 1440 Studemont St., sources close to the deal told the Houston Business Journal.

The project will be a mixed-use development with office, retail, residential and entertainment components. The site was recently appraised at $36.7 million, according to the Harris County Appraisal District. 

Lower Heights District was originally pegged to be a two-level big box retail development. Additional information, including a groundbreaking timeline and information on subcontractors, wasn't made available.

Financing on both projects is still being secured.[/quote]

15 minutes ago, Reporter said:

Not around Park Lane and Greenville Ave. Its a death trap for pedestrians just like the 99% of DFW that is not located in that 1 square mile known as uptown.

I'm simply speaking about how they are slowly building very cohesive development one after the other that's really starting to connect their neighborhoods. I also noticed fewer parking lots in many areas. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Alexan will plant a multifamily complex here (Alexan Lower Heights), somewhere between 150-250 units. Construction begins by the end of the year.

As part of a larger mixed use project I presume?

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

Hasn’t construction already started and the crane is up?

There are two projects on both sides of Studemont that I think confuse people. There's Lower Heights District and then there's Studemont Junction. The later currently has construction projects occurring

7 hours ago, Triton said:

There are two projects on both sides of Studemont that I think confuse people. There's Lower Heights District and then there's Studemont Junction. The later currently has construction projects occurring

19 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Alexan will plant a multifamily complex here (Alexan Lower Heights), somewhere between 150-250 units. Construction begins by the end of the year.

So is this thread the "Lower Heights District' which is where we were getting stacked big box stores, and the plans have changed? (LHD is east of Studemont and S of i10)

- OR - 

Is this thread for Studemont Junction? (West of Studemont) where we have already one apartment U/C...

I need the clarification because the information shared on this page is quite confusion... I believe there are separate threads for each. Thanks for helping! I might just be slow...

• The title was changed to Lower Heights District
1 hour ago, Triton said:

This thread is for the Lower Heights District project but people keep adding Studemont Junction material here. I've renamed the thread now.

Thanks Triton.

I wonder what the plan is for the site, overall. We heard awhile back the plans had changed to something more truly mixed use. Hoping for the best!

I just hope they tie it in well for pedestrians, especially considering the development around it. Even the newest developments do a poor job, like the Sawyer Heights/Yale shopping areas. I mean they're walkable, but not what they could be. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I just hope they tie it in well for pedestrians to the development around it. Even the newest develeopments do a poor job for pedestrians. Like the Sawyer Heights/Yale shopping areas. They could definitely make both better for pedestrians. Houston smh

I think we already know the answer to this...

Well, this is great to know. Thanks for the update about this!

On 3/2/2015 at 0:32 AM, Slick Vik said:

I know the guy who bought this land. Hilarious to see the chronicle's dollar amount, it's way off. Secondly it won't be a suburban style development so calm down.