To answer the question, this is between the Sawyer Target and Sawyer Heights wrap - o - rama colony (the plain blocks at the left rear of the image) and the billboard company and Kroger's parking lot (foreground and right).  

It's more than a bit Katyville, but look at the bright side - all that ground floor retail 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

*Quick rant*

I guess I'm a little confused what people are expecting here. The next River Oaks District? More hipster stores nobodies heard of? What's wrong with Rice Military and the Heights area (and people like me that live closer to the desert that is Northside Village) getting some big box stores here that more people can afford... What's wrong with a movie theatre too? Don't quite understand the hate towards all this Katyville development... I don't see people jumping on the development that occurred near West University around 59. It's all a bunch of big box stores in an even more urban area and I don't see people jumping on them.

This area just converted from vacant lots and falling apart warehouses to an actual vibrant area full of retail development. I understand the want to make it a huge City Centre part 2 but development takes steps to grow. Let this round of development come in and once we grow even more urban, we can take in a more urban development. This is actually a lot more urban than I expected and is more in line with the Costco development over at Richmond and Westlayan.

• Like 1

Likely because none of the development along 59 inside the loop happened all at once? It's been strip malled/pad sited for decades already? That most of that development happened before anyone considered anything but suburban development for Houston? Maybe because even big box stores could come in different packaging? Maybe because the area around there already has issues with flooding and paving over acres for surface parking does absolutely nothing for our flood issues, our bayou pollution issues, and our increasing heat island effect?

Just because it was industrial doesn't mean we should be excited because a Ross Dress Barn and an Olive Garden are better than a brownfield...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Maybe because even big box stores could come in different packaging?

Is this not that different packaging? This looks so much similar to Blvd Place but it's not as high end (thank God).

Maybe because the area around there already has issues with flooding and paving over acres for surface parking does absolutely nothing for our flood issues, our bayou pollution issues, and our increasing heat island effect?

You're really thinking this is going to cause new flood issues as opposed to the industrial concrete and steel warehouses that existed here before then?

Just because it was industrial doesn't mean we should be excited because a Ross Dress Barn and an Olive Garden are better than a brownfield..

Yet again, what's wrong with a Ross Dress Barn and an Olive Garden going in? Do we really need Tom Ford or Hermes here? Sorry, not everyone makes that much money. Our area has been a desert for retail while 59 has all types of stores in the Montrose and West University area. I welcome the Krogers... the Walmart... the Target here. As someone who needs good groceries in the area and the most basic common retail that didn't even exist here 5 years ago, let me challenge you and tell you people that live here are actually excited by these developments... sorry if this development forum only likes the high-end luxury development... not everything can live up to that level.

Edited by Triton

19 hours ago, Triton said:

You're really thinking this is going to cause new flood issues as opposed to the industrial concrete and steel warehouses that existed here before then?

I'd opine that the new development would probably be better for flood issues than the 20-70 year old industrial developments that predated it. 

I might be siding with Triton on this. The rendering looks like it has parking garages, Not that many surface parking lots, Its right on the heights bike trail. THe development is still fundamentally in the middle of a former industrial area and does appear to have some verticality. Give it a few years, if this is a hot successful retail area... your mid-rise apartments and condos will quickly follow. 

• Like 4

On 9/15/2016 at 9:00 AM, terra002 said:

Im not sure what  tom ford's or hermes is, but a sporting goods or hardware store would be nice. 

shhhhhh... don't let Monarch hear you say that :mellow:

They're both quite upscale - for example, Hermes ties start at close to $200 and go up from there.  Way up.  Or you can get an Hermes t-shirt for $380.00.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mollusk said:

shhhhhh... don't let Monarch hear you say that :mellow:

They're both quite upscale - for example, Hermes ties start at close to $200 and go up from there.  Way up.  Or you can get an Hermes t-shirt for $380.00.

Yep.  But just look how stunning that T-shirt really is:

http://usa.hermes.com/man/ready-to-wear/active-wear/short-sleeve-t-shirts/h-tshirt-collection-98003.html

/sarcasm 

You can also get a polo shirt in snot green for $455.   

http://usa.hermes.com/man/ready-to-wear/polos/classic/polo-boutonne-3343.html

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I guess my biggest concern, looking at the proposed store lineup and the building rendering, is that we end up with something like Katie Mills.  That place is just awful in multiple ways.

There are suburban retail developments that are done really well and become destination area which then spur additional development around them. I guess that's my ultimate hope for this spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Visitor said:

I guess my biggest concern, looking at the proposed store lineup and the building rendering, is that we end up with something like Katie Mills.  That place is just awful in multiple ways.

There are suburban retail developments that are done really well and become destination area which then spur additional development around them. I guess that's my ultimate hope for this spot.

That's a reasonable concern.

17 minutes ago, terra002 said:

Yea the store line up is awful, aside from Academy. I used to travel the country for work and it would kill me that every town looked the exact same with all of these same stores. 

Isn't the term of art "uniform suburban big box chain hellscape?" 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 0:11 PM, s3mh said:

Costco joined the Greater Heights Chamber of Commerce, prompting rumors that they are going to build at this development.  

Still hearing that Sam's is locked in here, would definitely prefer Costco though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...