• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a bit enronish... but i'll take it! nice...

What do you mean "but I'll take it"? The Enron buildings are very sleek, and this is one of the nicest residential towers proposed for Houston...

Edit. I dig it so much I would be content with this going where the proposed 40 story on San Felipe and Post Oak was planned. This coming from a skyscraper dork who almost always thinks taller is better.

Hard to imagine where this was supposed to go...

Here are my guesses (based on the grassy medians).

Southwells/Ginza Strip Center (Northeast Corner of San Felipe @ Fountainview.

The lot next to Buffalo Bayou (Southwest corner of San Felipe @ Woodway Dr.

It's hard to tell if the medians are actually on the location of this project or not, as they don't have any surrounding buildings (even blank rectangles), put in. I've seen their Orlando Rendering, I think it's a couple years old. Have any of their projects from to fruition? Are any under construction? Why is there no developer attached to the project? Makes me think this was purely conceptual and maybe in the very early stages, and perhaps belongs in the Houston: Potential thread. Unless one of you insiders can dish out some info.

Hard to imagine where this was supposed to go...

Here are my guesses (based on the grassy medians).

Southwells/Ginza Strip Center (Northeast Corner of San Felipe @ Fountainview.

The lot next to Buffalo Bayou (Southwest corner of San Felipe @ Woodway Dr.

It's hard to tell if the medians are actually on the location of this project or not, as they don't have any surrounding buildings (even blank rectangles), put in. I've seen their Orlando Rendering, I think it's a couple years old. Have any of their projects from to fruition? Are any under construction? Why is there no developer attached to the project? Makes me think this was purely conceptual and maybe in the very early stages, and perhaps belongs in the Houston: Potential thread. Unless one of you insiders can dish out some info.

Its San Felipe between Woodway and Buffalo Bayou. I would copy and paste the link to google maps street view which shows that identical view to one of the renders with the buffalo bayou bridge guardrails ending at the lower right but the add new reply box sucks and wont let me past into this box or use the add URL window without a major fubar.

Its San Felipe between Woodway and Buffalo Bayou. I would copy and paste the link to google maps street view which shows that identical view to one of the renders with the buffalo bayou bridge guardrails ending at the lower right but the add new reply box sucks and wont let me past into this box or use the add URL window without a major fubar.

Here?

i am not trying to insinuate that the two are directly related... however, it's a bit hard for me to become overly joyful as per this wonderful development, in lieu of the HANOVER COMPANY deciding to shelve their prospective project upon the KIRBY DISTRICT.  is this prospective project definitely happening or not.....

i am not trying to insinuate that the two are directly related... however, it's a bit hard for me to become overly joyful as per this wonderful development, in lieu of the HANOVER COMPANY deciding to shelve their prospective project upon the KIRBY DISTRICT. is this prospective project definitely happening or not.....

It's hard to say wether anything is "definitely happening" for certain until there is a hole in the ground, and even then things aren't always so certain (see Chicago Spire). Hanover has been pumping a lot of money into Houston lately.. Post Oak tower, Montrose tower, Rice Village high rise, I'm sure im leaving out others.. I don't think they are ready to quit Houston just yet, probably just waiting to see how quickly the new stock of units will fill up when they hit the market.

Hanover has been pumping a lot of money into Houston lately.. Post Oak tower, Montrose tower, Rice Village high rise, I'm sure im leaving out others.. I don't think they are ready to quit Houston just yet, probably just waiting to see how quickly the new stock of units will fill up when they hit the market.

"Meanwhile, Hanover is setting its sights on other major markets nationally, like Boston and California. The company has four new apartments breaking ground in Atlanta this year.

"We've got plenty of other projects we're working on," Bowden said."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/01/27/amid-plunging-oil-prices-luxury-apartment.html?page=all

Why is it so hard to treat every project as if it was a different thing. Hanover has their reasons why they aren't building. We all thought that Hines on market square wouldn't get built this cycle yet they are starting construction, etc... etc.... Every case is different and while there is a cloud of doubt looming overhead because of the drop in oil prices lets remember that people invest for many different reasons or start projects for very different reasons. sheesh....

Why is it so hard to treat every project as if it was a different thing. Hanover has their reasons why they aren't building. We all thought that Hines on market square wouldn't get built this cycle yet they are starting construction, etc... etc.... Every case is different and while there is a cloud of doubt looming overhead because of the drop in oil prices lets remember that people invest for many different reasons or start projects for very different reasons. sheesh....

Didn't Hanover cite credit drying up as their reason for stalling? I believe they said Houston has been redlighted by lenders in the wake of falling oil. If that's the case, then it's a city-wide issue, not just related to one building.

Didn't Hanover cite credit drying up as their reason for stalling? I believe they said Houston has been redlighted by lenders in the wake of falling oil. If that's the case, then it's a city-wide issue, not just related to one building.

Understandable, but it's always wrong to make overreaching, all encompassing assumptions for all things. It's a very complicated business, and I hate when it's reduced to one single factor when each project is motivated by multiple factors. I know that their is this sense that we need a scapegoat for why something might stop so.....uhhhh oil prices thats it when it could be motivated by other things. In Hanovers case sure oil is one, but they might be running into a capital problem from possibly over building or maybe they are seeing to much of a shift in Houston therefore throwing off their portfolio and so they want to balance it out by concentrating elsewhere.

Or some of y'all can just take the easy way out and just blame Oil Prices, and call it day.

If this is at Woodway and San Felipe then it makes for an interesting story.

1. Existing buildings are torn down for two new condo towers.

2. Developer sits on the site just long enough for the economy to crash and puts off building for years.

3. A boom comes that the developer completely misses out on.

4. The next bust comes and they send out a press release about a new building again.

This site must be cursed. 

Says 31-stories on the slide, but it has been revised to 33-stories; the design is the same except for the top and facade details. I don't know much else unfortunately.

HPA_Urban_Architecture_Digital2.pdf

16393602985_158e6013ae_b.jpg

Edit: Revised design below.

16367658976_6258d96a54_b.jpg

16367659076_99168da157_b.jpg

16207423479_6494541c6d_b.jpg

M e h, I give it a few months before its redesigned into this:

glass-box.jpg

Ever since "The Great Midway Scam of 2015", Ive learned to temper my expectations of Houston proposals.

Can you tell Im bitter? :)

M e h, I give it a few months before its redesigned into this:

Ever since "The Great Midway Scam of 2015", Ive learned to temper my expectations of Houston proposals.

Can you tell Im bitter? :)

Just go drive around in your car.  You'll feel better!

I wonder if the original press release with the retractable roof design (for Alessandra) was all just marketing for Gensler?  They may have splashed that out there (with some consent from Midway) with the intent of getting a glitzy new design on the front page?

And I do think you're missing a few balconies for the individual units, and some floors of parking under those residential floors!

Looks interesting. I think it stands a chance if it is for condos, but do not think additional highrise rentals are very likely given the current uncertainty.

If this is at Woodway and San Felipe then it makes for an interesting story.

1. Existing buildings are torn down for two new condo towers.

2. Developer sits on the site just long enough for the economy to crash and puts off building for years.

3. A boom comes that the developer completely misses out on.

4. The next bust comes and they send out a press release about a new building again.

This site must be cursed.

Sounds like it's likely condos.. Hopefully the developer works in a similar fashion as Pelican and doesn't need financing. Lol

Understandable, but it's always wrong to make overreaching, all encompassing assumptions for all things. It's a very complicated business, and I hate when it's reduced to one single factor when each project is motivated by multiple factors. I know that their is this sense that we need a scapegoat for why something might stop so.....uhhhh oil prices thats it when it could be motivated by other things. In Hanovers case sure oil is one, but they might be running into a capital problem from possibly over building or maybe they are seeing to much of a shift in Houston therefore throwing off their portfolio and so they want to balance it out by concentrating elsewhere.

Or some of y'all can just take the easy way out and just blame Oil Prices, and call it day.

but it is because of oil prices. well oil prices in conjuction with the incredible amount of supply that is or will deliver in the next 18 months. that's it. if oil was still at $90 do you think we would be seeing this slow down? of course not. $90 oil equals job growth.... job growth equals wage growth and population growth.... wage and population growth equal appetite for highrise projects.

i've been told repeatedly that if the project isn't already funded the chances of anything moving forwward in this environment is slim to none with an emphasis on the none. the biggest problem is that even if we have other economic drivers that will (should) keep us afloat like medical and the petrochem industry perception is reality for national/inhternational investors in regards to houston. we are an oil town and when oil goes bust so does houston.

who knows maybe this time is different and without a doubt there's always one or two groups that have the wherewithall or naviete to move forward in seemingly dire conditions but you can't count on those.

but it is because of oil prices. well oil prices in conjuction with the incredible amount of supply that is or will deliver in the next 18 months. that's it. if oil was still at $90 do you think we would be seeing this slow down? of course not. $90 oil equals job growth.... job growth equals wage growth and population growth.... wage and population growth equal appetite for highrise projects.

i've been told repeatedly that if the project isn't already funded the chances of anything moving forwward in this environment is slim to none with an emphasis on the none. the biggest problem is that even if we have other economic drivers that will (should) keep us afloat like medical and the petrochem industry perception is reality for national/inhternational investors in regards to houston. we are an oil town and when oil goes bust so does houston.

who knows maybe this time is different and without a doubt there's always one or two groups that have the wherewithall or naviete to move forward in seemingly dire conditions but you can't count on those.

I'll second these thoughts.  I was told last weekend by a Senior Development Partner of a major multi-family developer in Houston that there is no money for new projects in Houston right now.  He said their usual sources of capital (equity and debt) simply won't fund new projects in Houston right now.  

Archived