Phantom 2 Quad Copters..

Hey guys.. pretty much just dove into the deep end of the quad copter/drone pool head first. guess im getting a Phantom 2. heh..

what is the difference between the Phantom v2.0 and v3.0? i know the controller varies slightly, but are you still going to have to drop a few hundred dollars to get the live video feed and what not? also any tips/recommendations? im new to all of this and just going off of the numerous great things ive heard (and seen) about the phantom.

My personal opinion...you can't go wrong with a phantom. I got the Phantom 1 for Christmas and it's awesome. Been having a lot of fun with it. Wish I could get the inspire! Here's a video I shot yesterday that was posted in the Towne Lake thread. I don't have a gimbal so the GoPro is a bit shaky but the video quality is still there

nicee.. the more i look at them the more i get excited about getting mine. looking forward to posting aerial shots of developments around town.. guess well have a few Phantoms on the board.

so the gimble helps that much with stabilization? i wasnt going to get one at first but found a Vision + with camera and gimble for "cheap" and couldnt pass it up.

It blows my mind that these things are legal and anyone can fly them. I think they're really cool, but it's crazy that an FM transmitter can yield heavy fines, yet a device that goes this high and far is no problemo (even though it could interfere w/ air traffic, privacy concerns, etc.).

I kind of agree Brian. One thing that makes me nervous about investing in one. What happens if and when they become illegal? Obviously it's your money on the line so I would think most people would be pretty careful with them and follow all the procedures/instructional videos before just going out and flying one, but there definitely are some idiots in the world.

With that said I'm super excited to take videos of all the park renovations and construction sites across Houston. There is a really cool "waypoint" feature where you can pre program flight paths so you can focus on controlling the camera.

Umm.... as a local helicopter pilot, how high do you guys fly those things?

Whoa!

Welcome to the forum dude!

Man I swear, we have every kind of profession on this board, from lawyers to developers, structural engineers, crane operators, helicopter pilots, photographers, its so awesome!

Any questions we may have about a given industry, we have professionals on board that can answer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can a mod change the title of this thread to Drones or Quad Copters? when i started it i was looking for help specifically for the quad i purchased. but now i would like to start a general drone thread but don't want to have multiple threads about similar topics listed.

what do fellow quadcopter enthusiasts think of this FAA regulation? I'm not sure if its a recent regulation, or the law just recently became well known due to drones increasing popularity?

According to the FAA’s letter to Hanes, if drone-obtained video is ever sold in any way, it becomes commercial.

“With this letter the FAA is claiming that drone-obtained art created by a hobbyist becomes retroactively ‘commercial’ if it is ever sold, or if, as here, it is displayed on a website that offers monetization in the form of advertising,” Peter Sachs, a Connecticut-based attorney specializing in drone issues told Motherboard. “Selling art is unquestionably one’s right, and the government is forbidden from infringing upon that right.”

http://kfor.com/2015/03/12/apparently-you-shouldnt-put-drone-videos-on-youtube/

Archived