Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway

Urbannizer

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if it was the Buffalo Bayou Partnership that drove the move, or Free Press? From what I read last year, most saw NRG as a success and it was at capacity. Would it be cheaper there, so they did a bait and switch again? Or was it due to safety concerns? Half of the ACLs of late have been mud fests.

Or did the folks on the Buffalo Bayou side push them out? Not sure we'll ever know.

• 4 weeks later...

Light at Gillette is flashing red as of yesterday. Should be active soon.

They are bulldozing the old westbound lanes around there, redoing it for the new parking lane. Will be interesting to see what state it is all in for the July 4th celebrations.

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

So is the entire ramp being demolished & rebuilt? Has anyone seen the plans as to how lanes/exits/entrances will be arranged? 

See page 26: http://www.downtowntirz.org/images/150205_Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Final.pdf

It looks to be a rough idea instead of what it'll exactly look like. I've been looking for schematics or final plans myself.

7 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

See page 26: http://www.downtowntirz.org/images/150205_Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Final.pdf

It looks to be a rough idea instead of what it'll exactly look like. I've been looking for schematics or final plans myself.

Looks to be about what I envisioned. Looks like they'll first merge the Allen Parkway and Houston Ave exits to I-45 South and then have it gradually merge onto I-45 itself. They added a lot of concrete barriers along the mainlanes now and have extended the exit lane. Wasn't sure if that's temporary or not. I'll see if I can get a picture of it from the Dallas St bridge.

On 7/11/2016 at 10:27 AM, Triton said:

Looks to be about what I envisioned. Looks like they'll first merge the Allen Parkway and Houston Ave exits to I-45 South and then have it gradually merge onto I-45 itself. They added a lot of concrete barriers along the mainlanes now and have extended the exit lane. Wasn't sure if that's temporary or not. I'll see if I can get a picture of it from the Dallas St bridge.

27994815580_187900103f_h.jpg

I-45 South Construction by Marc longoria, on Flickr

27994807660_016e0627c4_h.jpg

I-45 South Construction by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/I-45-southbound-exits-to-Dallas-Pierce-reopening-9186686.php?t=ee0ed98f7d438d9cbb&cmpid=reddit-premium#photo-9579028

A major downtown freeway exit is expected to open this weekend after being out of service for nearly two months, sending commuters scrambling for options.

The southbound Interstate 45 exit to Dallas and Pierce streets will open sometime this weekend, possibly Saturday afternoon, said Danny Perez, spokesman for the Texas Department of Transportation’s Houston office.

I'm so glad, this was my way home since they started working on Hwy 225  back in May and created a huge bottleneck near the Shell refinery. I started going home on IH 10 west to 45 S and to the Bagby exit but this construction forced me to 59/69 to McGowan exit and that is horrible. Glad to have it back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Workers expect to finish all but minor, cosmetic and landscaping issues related to rebuilding Allen by Sept. 26

Read in another article that the parking will be metered. I'm ok with that (but I'm biassed because I'm walking distance!)

I think they will be in high demand and it will be good to limit it, though I'm sure many will find the max time limit annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea that was definitely NOT open yesterday. All the barriers were still up and my stupid self hopped the curb because I saw a car in front of me do the samething thinking that was perhaps an entrance. Was a smooth curb but still a curb none the less. Anyway, me and a few others were stuck behind the barriers at the exit and someone had to move the giant cone out of the way to allow traffic to leave. The real entrances are still blocked off.

And yes, they will be metered. They have signs everywhere that they will be metered on the weekends too.

Archived