Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway

Urbannizer

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ohhh. youre right. i always assume the whole thing from Shepherd to the Turning Basin is Buffalo Bayou Park because of the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. that could put a damper on my idea. i was hoping since this is in the downtown subforum that it meant the stretches of park along the bayou in downtown. but yeah, if they are talking about Allen Parkway improvements, the Sabine-Shepherd Promenade seems the likely topic for the "park improvements" (though they just dropped 58 million on a multi year long renovation. what else would they do significantly to the park? i wish i could propose my Memorial Park-Buffalo Bayou Park Boardwalk trail idea, but i dont know that this meeting would be the place for it.

ohhh. youre right. i always assume the whole thing from Shepherd to the Turning Basin is Buffalo Bayou Park because of the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. that could put a damper on my idea. i was hoping since this is in the downtown subforum that it meant the stretches of park along the bayou in downtown. but yeah, if they are talking about Allen Parkway improvements, the Sabine-Shepherd Promenade seems the likely topic for the "park improvements" (though they just dropped 58 million on a multi year long renovation. what else would they do significantly to the park?

Seems pretty clear they are just talking about improving access with protected crosswalks and additional parking.

Meeting today on improvement plans for Allen Parkway

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6-7 p.m.

Neighborhood Resource Center Auditorium

815 Crosby Street

http://downtowntirz.org/images/Allen_Parkway_Public_Meeting_Flyer.pdf

Here's some other articles / info that talk about elements of this:

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=65028

http://blog.chron.com/thehighwayman/2015/01/downtown-freeway-fix-a-step-in-the-right-direction/

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/First-round-of-Prop-1-a-boost-to-suburban-6020333.php#/0

First round of Prop. 1 a boost to suburban freeways Wider freeways, ramp alterations among projects on the fast track

By Dug Begley

January 16, 2015 Updated: January 16, 2015 9:39pm
  •  
  •  

The term "shovel ready," coined a few years ago during a federal spending spree on roads, is making a comeback in Houston, with regional and state transportation officials planning to spend nearly $279 million on area highways.

The quick construction boom, however, won't have the mega-project panache of a Grand Parkway or light rail line. This time, extra money is likely to mean stretches of suburban freeway some would like to see widened will open up far sooner than anyone expected, and battered highways might get a little maintenance.

The money comes from the November passage of Prop. 1, which diverted half of the oil and gas severance tax revenues from the economic stabilization fund to state highway spending. About $1.7 billion was diverted from the state's so-called rainy day fund to highway projects.

Racing to spend the first round, Houston-area officials are concentrating on projects slated to start construction this year, which in some cases could have waited decades for the necessary money to become available.

A quick trip from planning to construction is expected for U.S. 59 in Fort Bend County, from Spur 10 to Darst Road. A $93 million project will widen the freeway to six lanes, and add two-lane frontage roads."It is tremendous to see a project move forward 20 years," said Alan Clark, manager of transportation and air quality programs at the Houston-Galveston Area Council.

The project was initially planned for around 2030 or 2035, because after two current widening projects of the freeway to Spur 10, officials didn't have the money to proceed with the next segment. With huge growth expected in Fort Bend County, Clark said the next step was ready, warranted and would offer a big relief to nearby drivers.

Various benefits

Fast-tracking construction played a major role in the 14 projects recommended Wednesday by H-GAC's technical advisory committee. All of the projects are expected to start construction in the calendar year, said David Wurdlow, an analyst with H-GAC who oversees the transportation improvement program.

Though none of the projects are massive by local transportation standards, Clark said they all have regional significance because they solve a problem faced by thousands of commuters. The largest in cost, at $98 million, is the final portion of widening planned along U.S. 290 - part of a $1.8 billion rehab of the freeway from Loop 610 to FM 2920.

Among the least expensive, at $2.2 million, is a project to reconfigure the entrance ramp from Allen Parkway to southbound Interstate 45. The on-ramp connects with the freeway from the left side of the southbound lanes, unlike most entrance ramps that enter from the right.

Along with the entrance ramp from Houston Avenue - which enters from the right - the Allen Parkway entrance leads to hazardous traffic weaving along southbound I-45.

"It is a confusing entrance and doesn't work very well," said Jeff Weatherford, Houston's deputy public works director.

Other projects also correct minor problems that lead to big pains for drivers. Along Beltway 8 - the one non-tolled freeway segment between I-45 and U.S. 59 and a major route for airport traffic - a $26 million project won't widen the freeway, but expand merge lanes to and from entrance and exit ramps.

"Too few lanes is not the problem out there, it's the weave," Clark said.

Fixing the entrance and exit lanes, Clark said, was always something officials wanted to do, but money was always prioritized elsewhere.

"This project was the red-headed stepchild of projects, so to speak," he said.

With Prop. 1, and the need to spend the first round of funds quickly, the Beltway project moved to the top tier because it was ready to go.

The effect these projects will have will be almost immediate where they occur. From the moment the Beltway 8 auxiliary lanes open, transportation planners predict smoother traffic. Officials also predict a sharp decrease in accidents at I-45 and Allen Parkway with a new entrance ramp, though at this point it's difficult to predict by how much.

Piece by piece, they improve the entire transportation system, Clark said.

Funding unclear

Many uncertainties remain about statewide transportation funding, and even future Prop. 1's buying power in the future. The voter-approved allotment takes half of the oil and severance tax revenues that were going to the Texas' economic stabilization fund and directs them to highway projects only, and specifically forbids using the money to aid the construction or development of toll roads.

For 2015, it means $1.7 billion in additional highway spending. Because it is tied to oil and gas activity, however, State Comptroller Glenn Hegar's recent budget estimate dropped that to about $1.2 billion in each of the next two years.

The fluctuation was not shocking to some of the officials who lobbied for Prop. 1, said Sen. Robert Nichols, R-Jacksonville, chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee.

"Historically, the oil and gas revenue operates like the edge of a saw blade, as it continually goes up and down," Nichols said, "However, if you look at the numbers, you will see that about every 10 years the total is more than the previous 10 years."

Even with the exact amount unclear, Clark said local planners are considering how to respond to having the additional money in future construction plans. Officials can often take months or years to navigate a project through environmental approvals and juggle the money to pay for it, which can come from a host of federal, state and local sources.

This year, with the money unexpected, projects far along in that process were able to capture the money to start sooner. In future years, Clark said, the money could be used in more predictable ways, similar to how current state highway funding - doled out by formula - is scheduled to keep projects in some phase of planning or construction.

In any case, officials said more money will always mean more work can get started.

"I think we will be in even better shape going forward, even with the uncertainties," Clark said.

What's not seen are the pictures of the 157 diagonal parking spaces they intend to add on a single west bound acces lane.

They also have plans to add a pedestrian controlled crosswalk at park vista street. Once the button is pushed it should take 35s for the light to change to red.

They are working with the city to approve a reduction in speed limit from 40mph to 35 mph.

Another thing mentioned was a roundabout added once you cross over the Sabine bridge so you can u turn safety or acces the west bound access lane for parking.

Just random notes I can think of off the top of my head.

What's not seen are the pictures of the 157 diagonal parking spaces they intend to add on a single west bound acces lane.

They also have plans to add a pedestrian controlled crosswalk at park vista street. Once the button is pushed it should take 35s for the light to change to red.

They are working with the city to approve a reduction in speed limit from 40mph to 35 mph.

Another thing mentioned was a roundabout added once you cross over the Sabine bridge so you can u turn safety or acces the west bound access lane for parking.

Just random notes I can think of off the top of my head.

Did they have any specifics on the i45 ramp / connectivity improvements? 

1 minute increased commute time sounds incredibly optimistic.  Between the reduction in speed limit, two lights (likely poorly timed), crossing time, and the time lost by every car in succession gearing back up while idiots are texting and not paying attention, I figure it will be closer to 3 minutes each way.

Moreover, persons working downtown are likely some of the most highly paid in the city.  On top of that, those taking Allen are likely even higher paid than average (fewer bus commuters, or guys coming in from suburbs).  Then you add in the thousands that are taking Allen every day. 

That is all to say that the social costs of six minutes lost each day across thousands of people are enormous.  I don't know why they wouldn't just build pedestrian bridges for people to get to the park, eschew the new lights and speed reduction.  Hell, you could even make that section a toll road and charge people until the pedestrian bridges are paid for.

Moreover, persons working downtown are likely some of the most highly paid in the city.  On top of that, those taking Allen are likely even higher paid than average (fewer bus commuters, or guys coming in from suburbs).  Then you add in the thousands that are taking Allen every day. 

That is all to say that the social costs of six minutes lost each day across thousands of people are enormous.  I don't know why they wouldn't just build pedestrian bridges for people to get to the park, eschew the new lights and speed reduction.  Hell, you could even make that section a toll road and charge people until the pedestrian bridges are paid for.

I sincerely hope this is satire.

If not, geez Louise...  I hate to break it to you, but not everyone that routinely uses Allen Parkway lives in River Oaks. 

Welcome to the forum, anyway.

I hate to break it to you, but not everyone that routinely uses Allen Parkway lives in River Oaks. 

Everyone knows that River Oaks residents have access to downtown via a secret subterranean expressway underneath Buffalo Bayou. It has its own exit to the hidden driver's license office with no wait line that only a privileged few in Houston know about :P .

I sincerely hope this is satire.

If not, geez Louise...  I hate to break it to you, but not everyone that routinely uses Allen Parkway lives in River Oaks. 

Welcome to the forum, anyway.

outside of the wealth factor of Allen Parkway users, that poster has some fairly valid points. this is sure to add more than just 1 minute to peoples commute times. and given the population growth and ever growing strain on our infrastructure network, you would think the city would be exploring ways to alleviate traffic, not cause more of it.

i see both sides of the argument and agree that something needs to be done about the access to Buffalo Bayou.

toll road, eh? i actually pondered tolled main lanes down Memorial Drive once. 

Everyone knows that River Oaks residents have access to downtown via a secret subterranean expressway underneath Buffalo Bayou. It has its own exit to the hidden driver's license office with no wait line that only a privileged few in Houston know about :P .

Daaaaaaang - I forgot about that.  I wonder if they're being chauffeured in right now, given that Their Parking Has Been Disturbed at the Houston Club.   :ph34r:

Memorial does not have connector ramps to i-45. I stated this earlier in the thread, I take Allen Parkway daily and somewhere close to half the people are jumping on to 45 north or south (also providing quick access to 59 and 10). The light at Taft causes 20-30 cars to stop eastbound on Allen every time it turns red already.

And I am not a rich River Oaks dweller, just a middle class guy in Montrose.

Wow, how awful for you that your commute will be increased by 40 seconds so that we can create a safer environment for pedestrians on Allen Parkway, a street where several pedestrians have been killed.

Anyway, I'm a middle class guy in Montrose, too. I think the new light at Dunlavy is a great idea, and will be highly useful during busy traffic hours. Making that turn from Allen Parkway can be pretty tricky when there's a steady stream of cars coming. It always struck me as odd that this intersection was treated as such a minor one when so many people turn between these two streets.

It wasn't all that long ago that Waugh and Allen Parkway was a surface level stop light (no underpass).  The "no left turn" on Waugh is a vestige of that time.  It made turning left off of Dunlavy possible.

Wow, how awful for you that your commute will be increased by 40 seconds so that we can create a safer environment for pedestrians on Allen Parkway, a street where several pedestrians have been killed.

Anyway, I'm a middle class guy in Montrose, too. I think the new light at Dunlavy is a great idea, and will be highly useful during busy traffic hours. Making that turn from Allen Parkway can be pretty tricky when there's a steady stream of cars coming. It always struck me as odd that this intersection was treated as such a minor one when so many people turn between these two streets.

Sounds like we are all middle class guys living in Montrose soon to face longer commute times.  In addition to that I've also studied a lot of economics and there is no way this makes sense from an economics perspective. 

As best I can find there are 29,000 people driving down Allen each day.  If you conservatively assume only one person per car, and take the city's low ball estimates of 1 minute delayed each way, and conservatively assume that the marginal value of a lost hour of leisure is worth about $25 (which is why the earnings power of the demographic of commuter is relevant), you get...

2 minutes * ($25 / 60 minutes) * 29,000 commuters = $24,000 a day in lost leisure value.  That's $8.8 million per year.  The NHTSA pegs the cost of a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over an arterial street at about $1.5 million.  You need two bridges to get pedestrian traffic into the park- so that's a cost of $3.0 million.

Anyone in their right mind would spend $3.0 million to generate $8.8 million (using the city's own numbers!) in value.  For a 20-year useful life those pedestrian bridges would create $92 million in value for the commuters (using a 6% discount rate).

The point is that city officials need to take economics into consideration when they are playing with their Lego sets.  The city should be run for the betterment of its citizens.

The problem with your calculation is that the added lights aren't just there to take the place of pedestrian bridges.  Drivers coming from the south will benefit also, because the new light at Dunlavy, which is surely a big contributor to the 1 minute delay, will speed up traffic that wants to turn from Dunlavy onto Allen Parkway and would otherwise be held up waiting for a gap in traffic.

Yes, replacing the proposed pedestrian-controlled signal with a bridge would probably be more cost effective in the long run, so I agree with you on that part, but I'd be surprised if that signal is more than 20% of the estimated increase in travel time for the whole project, thanks to the presumed infrequency of people pressing it, so I think the payoff would take much longer than you calculate.

This is going to sound uncaring and impersonal but I strongly dislike cars and so I am supportive of any actions that impose additional costs on cars or drivers, especially if the actions benefit pedestrians.

Houston is a car-centric city today and some may claim that we should have policies and planning in place that reflect and support the car model. I believe that if you make driving in a car painful enough, you will incentivize people to live next to rail lines or close enough to walk to work. This type of shift will happen slowly - who knows maybe driverless cars will occur prior to the shift and reduce traffic / the cost of driving.

This is going to sound uncaring and impersonal but I strongly dislike cars and so I am supportive of any actions that impose additional costs on cars or drivers, especially if the actions benefit pedestrians.

Houston is a car-centric city today and some may claim that we should have policies and planning in place that reflect and support the car model. I believe that if you make driving in a car painful enough, you will incentivize people to live next to rail lines or close enough to walk to work. This type of shift will happen slowly - who knows maybe driverless cars will occur prior to the shift and reduce traffic / the cost of driving.

Alright buddy slow down. This isn't the circle-jerk that is the Futurology subreddit on Reddit! lol. I have officially ignored that part of Reddit because that's all the discussion is for right now. While the driverless car thing might happen at some point I think people completely miss the point on why people love their cars so much and that's because its a vehicle THEY control. Not some robot or some chauffeur that does the driving for them.......kinda like a taxi. That's all driverless cars will be are automated taxi's. People will still want to drive their own cars and under their own power. The best solution to the problem is replacing the fleet that is dominated by inefficient 4 person models that only usually carry 1 to a fleet that is designed for single drivers or at most 2 people per vehicle. You automatically cut the space on the roads a good percentage because of the reduced car sizes alone!

I have said many times that I hate driving, but I it's a naive notion to think that there is no future for cars or even cars with human drivers! The real problem is the imbalance in the transportation infrastructure (or transportation ecosystem) that is so overly favored to cars that nothing else can match. The solution is then that, in order to balance things out, you have to radically change the current condition. Once things balance where there are multitudes of travel that work together is when you no longer have to have arguments about abandoning car travel. The only thing that should be abandoned is the myth that cars have to be used to travel EVERYWHERE for ANY distance. That absolutely has to change. When someone lives a 5min walk from their nearest grocer but still chooses to drive??? That's when you know that the system is fundamentally broken.

Alright buddy slow down. This isn't the circle-jerk that is the Futurology subreddit on Reddit! lol. I have officially ignored that part of Reddit because that's all the discussion is for right now. While the driverless car thing might happen at some point I think people completely miss the point on why people love their cars so much and that's because its a vehicle THEY control. Not some robot or some chauffeur that does the driving for them.......kinda like a taxi. That's all driverless cars will be are automated taxi's. People will still want to drive their own cars and under their own power. The best solution to the problem is replacing the fleet that is dominated by inefficient 4 person models that only usually carry 1 to a fleet that is designed for single drivers or at most 2 people per vehicle. You automatically cut the space on the roads a good percentage because of the reduced car sizes alone!

I have said many times that I hate driving, but I it's a naive notion to think that there is no future for cars or even cars with human drivers! The real problem is the imbalance in the transportation infrastructure (or transportation ecosystem) that is so overly favored to cars that nothing else can match. The solution is then that, in order to balance things out, you have to radically change the current condition. Once things balance where there are multitudes of travel that work together is when you no longer have to have arguments about abandoning car travel. The only thing that should be abandoned is the myth that cars have to be used to travel EVERYWHERE for ANY distance. That absolutely has to change. When someone lives a 5min walk from their nearest grocer but still chooses to drive??? That's when you know that the system is fundamentally broken.

A 5 minute walk?? Even when I lived in one the most "urban" parts of College Station (yeah, it was still CS, but still) it was still like at least 3-4 blocks to a crappy convenience store where me and my housemates would buy beer sometimes.

Even in a far more dense area like Houston, a 5 minute walk would mean you have a supermarket within a 2 block radius, and that's still very rare.

Archived