• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Triton said:

These popsicles taste great... if you don't wanna spend 3.50, don't go.

Yeah...this is what I said and meant. I think its crazy that there are places that charge this much for a simple popsicle. And donuts! Donuts cost $3.00 at some of the newer places. $.75 at Shipleys. Lets decorate a donut and see who is crazy enough to buy this.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullMan008 said:

Yeah...this is what I said and meant. I think its crazy that there are places that charge this much for a simple popsicle. And donuts! Donuts cost $3.00 at some of the newer places. $.75 at Shipleys. Lets decorate a donut and see who is crazy enough to buy this.....

Yea true. That's always been the case though. Hipster places are cool and trendy and so they charge more.

I'd agree on the dounts though. Much prefer Shipleys than Morningstar donuts down the street.

• Like 1

$90 steaks and $300 bottles of Bordeaux at Pappas Bros. are pretentious.  Taking your kids to La Cantera for the weekend is pretentious.  $3 for a Popsicle or donut is not frugal, but it is not pretentious either.  We are very lucky to have fun things like Hugs and Donuts and Steel City Pops in the neighborhood.  No one's budget is being busted by the occasional treat at these places.  They really make something that is special and worth a few extra bucks.  If you are not into the whole foodie thing, that is fine.  But the appreciation of good food is not some arbitrary thing that rich people do to show off their wealth.  

• Like 4

On 8/19/2016 at 11:29 AM, s3mh said:

$90 steaks and $300 bottles of Bordeaux at Pappas Bros. are pretentious.  Taking your kids to La Cantera for the weekend is pretentious.  $3 for a Popsicle or donut is not frugal, but it is not pretentious either.  We are very lucky to have fun things like Hugs and Donuts and Steel City Pops in the neighborhood.  No one's budget is being busted by the occasional treat at these places.  They really make something that is special and worth a few extra bucks.  If you are not into the whole foodie thing, that is fine.  But the appreciation of good food is not some arbitrary thing that rich people do to show off their wealth.  

I love food and some of the new restaurants are great. I dont worry about prices especially if its a healthy option, but this is a popsicle. So I have an option to pay more or less for sugar. I think Ill keep that on a lower level. My opinion of course. I could care less how much money you have or what you are worth my friend. 

• The title was changed to Laundrymat at 20th/Columbia
  • 1 year later...

Community Impact reported fitness facility Mayweather Boxing will be opening up at this development as well.

Build out for La La Land Kind Cafe is almost complete. Ran into some of the workers taking pictures around the trail and they told me it should be ready to open in 3-4 weeks.

Central City Co-Op (currently on 420 E 20th St) is closing its doors this Sunday and moving to an undisclosed location. I’m going to type into existence that they are moving to M-K-T (based on absolutely nothing). 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Posts about this property found in the Restaurant Diversity in the Heights thread:

On 5/18/2022 at 9:37 AM, s3mh said:

Central City Coop bought the old Heights Lights and Things property on 25th and will re-open their brick and mortar store there soon.  They only had a short term lease on the storefront on E. 20th and got the boot in April.  

https://www.theleadernews.com/business/central-city-co-op-purchases-new-heights-property/article_1682fa44-d69f-11ec-a16f-5f6a8c67d09c.html

On 5/18/2022 at 9:10 PM, BigRed said:

So here is a question - the old Co-op and Birds Barber Shop building was being painted and had work going on today- what's happening there next?!

On 5/19/2022 at 1:52 PM, s3mh said:

Leasing brochure, which should always be taken with several grains of salt, shows Kin by Evelyn.  She currently has stands at farmers markets and is no Top Chef Houston right now.  

https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default/files/420 E 20th St Flyer_0.pdf?v=1646057654

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

On 5/19/2022 at 1:52 PM, s3mh said:

Leasing brochure, which should always be taken with several grains of salt, shows Kin by Evelyn.  She currently has stands at farmers markets and is no Top Chef Houston right now.  

https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default/files/420 E 20th St Flyer_0.pdf?v=1646057654

This is wonderful news if Evelyn Garcia has signed a lease for the other unit at 420 E St.

Garcia lists an upcoming brick-and-mortar restaurant in the Heights in her Instagram bio. Also CultureMap reported this earlier this spring:

A recent multi-course dinner at the Houston Botanical Gardens previewed Jūn by KIN, the restaurant they plan to open in the Heights.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-15-22-tastemaker-awards-2022-best-pop-up-startup/

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

This is wonderful news if Evelyn Garcia has signed a lease for the other unit at 420 E St.

Garcia lists an upcoming brick-and-mortar restaurant in the Heights in her Instagram bio. Also CultureMap reported this earlier this spring:

A recent multi-course dinner at the Houston Botanical Gardens previewed Jūn by KIN, the restaurant they plan to open in the Heights.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-15-22-tastemaker-awards-2022-best-pop-up-startup/

Jun by Kin or Jūn by KIN is more than likely opening at 420 W 20th St. The owners of the restaurant recently filed an entity for Jun by Kin, LLC. 420 W 20th St is the listed address.

• Like 1