Cambria Hotel At 1314 Texas Ave.

Houston19514

3 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

This being a hotel is new info right?

cant wait for the details..

It was originally supposed to be residential but then got switched to a hotel in May 2017 (see link below). I really wish it was still going to be residential but I'll take it.

http://www.hotel-online.com/press_releases/release/brief-report-historic-downtown-tower-could-become-luxury-hotel-by-2019

• Like 5

Is there any school of thought on whether hotel or residential is more desirable for building the kind of urban environment most of us want downtown? Preserving the building longterm is I guess another factor, hotels probably go through more renovations and get more wear and tear. On the other hand, more hotel rooms enhance downtown as a convention and overall visitor destination and get us closer to becoming a tourist city. More restaurant visitors as well obviously. San Antonio became a pretty lively city with just big hotels downtown, not sure it would be as lively if all those hotels magically became residential buildings.

Just answered my own question I guess.

I count 8 hotels that are or will be using repurposed/rehabbed old buildings in downtown proper.

That's pretty cool.

Savoy Holiday Inn

Cambria

AC Hotel

Magnolia

Icon

JW Marriott

Hyatt Place

Courtyard Marriott/Homewood

Then there's the Days Inn...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I count 8 hotels that are or will be using repurposed/rehabbed old buildings in downtown proper.

That's pretty cool.

Savoy Holiday Inn

Cambria

AC Hotel

Magnolia

Icon

JW Marriott

Hyatt Place

Courtyard Marriott/Homewood

Then there's the Days Inn...

You’re forgetting a lot...

le merridein 

club quarters

that one near the alley theater (forgot name)

Just now, Nate99 said:

Felt like I was. That was where my brain decided to stop.

There are a couple additional buildings that I think would be great for high end hotels or condos...

building next to jw marriott 

harris county annex building / (newer) cotton exchange building 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

That's pretty cool.

Savoy Holiday Inn

Cambria

AC Hotel

Magnolia

Icon

JW Marriott

Hyatt Place

Courtyard Marriott/Homewood/Residence Inn

le Meridien

Club Quarters

Sam Houston

Westin (Inn @ the Ballpark)

The Lancaster

Aloft

If Savoy Holiday Inn is on the list, the Whitehall probably should be as well.

That's actually 17 hotels.

Just realized that with these 2 newest hotels, downtown will have, I think, 28 hotels.  Not so long ago, we had 4 hotels.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

There are a couple additional buildings that I think would be great for high end hotels or condos...

building next to jw marriott 

harris county annex building / (newer) cotton exchange building 

Agree with newer cotton exchange building. The building next to the JW is awkward... those long, horizontal windows don't seem very well suited for modern tastes .

6 minutes ago, downtownian said:

The building next to the JW is awkward... those long, horizontal windows don't seem very well suited for modern tastes .

I thought that it would have been great for meeting space for the JW.  It's also completely boxed in except for the narrow piece facing Main, so only the west facing bit gets windows, but it will mostly be shadowed by BG Place. 

It was a department store originally, not sure who that kind of layout might be a good fit for going forward.

Harris county annex building / (newer) cotton exchange building absolutely needs to be a high end hotel or something vibrant. Every time I'm driving down main it catches my eye and then I'm bummed it's a county office building.  The facade/ornamentation  reminds me of the historical buildings around downtown San Antonio. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I thought that it would have been great for meeting space for the JW.  It's also completely boxed in except for the narrow piece facing Main, so only the west facing bit gets windows, but it will mostly be shadowed by BG Place. 

It was a department store originally, not sure who that kind of layout might be a good fit for going forward.

One big problem would be access to elevators. Retail on the bottom floor is limited due to the needed access to elevators. My guess is the interior is extremely catered to a department store...

Offices (we-work or such perhaps) / Department store (hopes and dreams) / large scale condo units with a coffee shop downstairs

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

One big problem would be access to elevators. Retail on the bottom floor is limited due to the needed access to elevators. My guess is the interior is extremely catered to a department store...

Offices (we-work or such perhaps) / Department store (hopes and dreams) / large scale condo units with a coffee shop downstairs

How about an urban Target concept?  I think at it would be smashing there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

I love the idea but anyone know where the loading docks for the building are?

That would be the only obstacle I would see to a major retailer taking hold there. 

Unless there is some access point stashed inside the Jimmy John's garage or a passage through from the loading dock on Rusk that serves the 801 Travis building, I am not seeing where there could be one, but surely Battelstein's didn't just wheel everything in through the front door back in the day, right?

EDIT: Here's an article from 1999 talking about someone having loft-office ideas for the building back when the Jimmy John's garage was being planned.  Seems like those two developers were at least talking, and today, you can see the tunnel access point mentioned in the article between the garage and the JW Marriott. Maybe there is a walled off access point in there somewhere at street level.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/1999/10/18/newscolumn5.html

Edited by Nate99

19 hours ago, kbates2 said:

The one in Dallas mentioned in the article appears to have opened about a week ago and is priced at about $111 a night.  This would seem to be pretty far towards the bottom of the scale.  Sucks if so for such a gorgeous building.

Hotel pricing is all over the place. Now, who knows what algorithm the cookies on my browser are spitting out, but Hotels.com is listing Club Quarters at $103. Not sure how comparable they are, I've never been inside CQ. 

22 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Hotel pricing is all over the place. Now, who knows what algorithm the cookies on my browser are spitting out, but Hotels.com is listing Club Quarters at $103. Not sure how comparable they are, I've never been inside CQ. 

CQ are designed for basic business travel.  I've stayed at three:

Financial District SF - modern clean decor, compact rooms

DT Boston - clean, comfortable, small rooms, fairly modern, clean decor

Center City Philly - larger rooms, but not very well-maintained

*all of them were in older/historic buildings...the one here is in an older building (I think). I'm not sure about the quality of the Houston CQ.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

This project appears to be starting very soon. There are markings around the building for a hoist/gates etc. This morning I also spotted some fencing that was un-assembled.  Did we ever get additional information/renderings?

Hey M,

You sure? The latest showed that there was no start date available for this.

I certainly hope this does get started!