Cambria Hotel At 1314 Texas Ave.

Houston19514

The more I read about this project the more interesting it becomes to me.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/22/2016 at 9:27 PM, Nole23 said:

Still missing from the latest map, and their development page. This proposal vanished shortly after being announced. :(

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

It's not Bad news by any means.  And, I love to see more Hotel offerings.  I was more looking forward to this being pure residential, however.  Cambria Hotels are fine, Quality Inn/Comfort Inn Badge...which is ok...I just wouldn't put it in the same "High End" category as other downtown properties, like JW Marriott, or Four Seasons.  It'll be More like the Aloft,  Embassy Suite "High End" Category of Hotel.  For Quality Hotels, yes, it's "High End".    At least the building will remain.  So...cool!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

It's not Bad news by any means.  And, I love to see more Hotel offerings.  I was more looking forward to this being pure residential, however.  Cambria Hotels are fine, Quality Inn/Comfort Inn Badge...which is ok...I just wouldn't put it in the same "High End" category as other downtown properties, like JW Marriott, or Four Seasons.  It'll be More like the Aloft,  Embassy Suite "High End" Category of Hotel.  For Quality Hotels, yes, it's "High End".    At least the building will remain.  So...cool!

Hi Naviguessor. I agree with your points here, and I honestly share the same sentiment. I think aloft / club quarters comparison is a good one. On one hand, I am disappointed we wont see the town home / low rise component encompassing a garage. This class of hotel might be a needed component for downtown - a entry level luxury hotel (like a Buick). I just hope they do a good job preserving and protecting the building so it can last many more years. I would likely stay at something in this category of hotels... affordable luxury in a cool old building in a good location! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I loved the idea of townhomes there. You see townhomes in Manhattan, downtown Boston, central city Philly, so why not Houston? 

Gives life to the street scape and adds some quirkiness. 

We don't have zoning, so if a developer thinks they are the most profitable use of the land, you are bound to see them sooner or later. I think a more out-of-the-way location is more likely (think there are some near St. Joseph?).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is an old article but hadn't seen it posted. It confirms that Irma's is moving to the Catalyst, which we kind of figured out, and the current location of Irma's here will be re-branded into a burger joint.

"A retail tenant in the 147,867-square-foot building, Irma's Southwest Grill, was not familiar with details of the hotel plan.

The longtime downtown restaurant is planning to move its Mexican restaurant concept to the Catalyst, an apartment tower under construction on an adjacent block. The new location is expected to open by December, Nick Galvan, whose family owns Irma's, said Tuesday.

He said there are also plans to rebrand the existing Irma's Southwest Grill in the Great Southwest Building as a hamburger spot."

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Report-Historic-downtown-tower-could-become-11150703.php#photo-4018157

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...