Cambria Hotel At 1314 Texas Ave.

Houston19514

Looks good, like traditional storefront retail only with townhomes inside. I wonder how easy it will be to change it into actual retail as the market matures.

Btw, one of the real historic buildings on the other side of the block (which look to all be spared) would be a good location for the downtown dry cleaner's everybody wants.

darn pay wall. I feel like they could have done a lot more with this site. Sure it's good to blend in with the area, but they could have done something a lot more interesting than this....

Here's the article:

More downtown residential projects are in the works around Minute Maid Park.

"I think one of the exciting things is that we are building a neighborhood," said Bob Eury, the Houston Downtown Management District's executive director.

The district recently approved two projects near the eastside ballpark as part of the Downtown Living Initiative, which provides an incentive valued at up to $15,000 for each unit built in a multifamily pro-ject. The newest projects include redevelopment of the former Petroleum Club, a 21-story art deco building now known as the Great Southwest Building, and a proposed 24-story building.

Dallas-based Todd Interests received the incentive for its proposed redevelopment of the historic building on Texas Avenue. The 1927 building will have 162 units, and the builder is adding 11 townhomes and a parking garage.

Chicago-based Marquette Cos. proposed a 304-unit, 24-story residential tower northeast of Minute Maid Park bordered by Commerce, Jackson and Franklin streets. The company broke ground in November on a 28-story, 361-unit apartment project on Texas, also near the ballpark. That project is slated to be completed by 2016.

Hotels, offices and a new High School for the Performing and Visual Arts campus are in the works for this eastern section of downtown as well.Also under construction nearby is a 400-unit complex by Houston-based Finger Cos. going up just west of the stadium. And Trammell Crow Residential and Trammell Crow Co. have separate projects slated for the area.

"You don't want just one of these projects by themselves," Eury said. "The more residents, the stronger the possibility of street-level retail. It means more activity."

The Downtown Living Initiative, meant to lure residential builders downtown, has approved 16 projects with 4,955 units, only 45 units away from the cap of 5,000.

About 1,700 apartment units are under construction or were recently completed, and another 2,500 are planned, according to the Downtown District, which administers the program.

The City Council approved the initiative in 2012, with a cap of 2,500 units. Last year, the council approved an expansion of the program to 5,000 units.

SkyHouse Houston is the first completed project awarded one of the incentives. Developer Novare recently started construction on its second project. Those are in the south end of downtown. Other projects are near Market Square.

"We are excited about the number of units developed," Eury said. "Downtown needs more residents to make retail work well."

• Like 1

I guess they are pushing out the existing office tenants? I assume there are still some in there, or at least there were last time I checked. Downtown must be getting scarce for Class B/C office space with Houston Club disappearing and now this. Should help out the State National Building though I guess.

Was it actually the Petroleum Club building before it was Great Southwestern Life? I googled and found a Great Southwestern Life Insurance Co. in a court case in Oklahoma in 1937. I hope they do nothing at all to the existing letters.

• Like 2

I guess they are pushing out the existing office tenants? I assume there are still some in there, or at least there were last time I checked. Downtown must be getting scarce for Class B/C office space with Houston Club disappearing and now this. Should help out the State National Building though I guess.

Was it actually the Petroleum Club building before it was Great Southwestern Life? I googled and found a Great Southwestern Life Insurance Co. in a court case in Oklahoma in 1937. I hope they do nothing at all to the existing letters.

Downtown B/C space has been getting pretty tight for a while, although the Houston Club building was all but vacant for quite a while.  We looked at it on the previous go round six or seven years ago, and even then it was pretty much just the Houston Club, street and tunnel retail, and parking.  By the time the market started doin' the tighten up in earnest it was already in Skanska's hands and being emptied.  

I doubt those roof tops are rated for an outdoor gathering area. Rooftops that carry people have pretty high requirements, as purdue will tell you.

You COULD get away with it, with some strengthening. 

If its a simply balcony the requirements arent that much, but if its a gathering space for large groups of people, then yes. The requirements are high. 

Maybe 1114 Texas will get a chance too.

From the article

"We're still working through a lot of details and are in a flux of what we exactly want to do with this project," Robert McFarlane, president of Todd Interests tells CultureMap. "The rendering was just a part of the application process. It's just a form of an idea of what we might be doing. We're still considering multiple options."

• Like 1

From the article

"We're still working through a lot of details and are in a flux of what we exactly want to do with this project," Robert McFarlane, president of Todd Interests tells CultureMap. "The rendering was just a part of the application process. It's just a form of an idea of what we might be doing. We're still considering multiple options."

Well I'll be damned.

That explains all the projects in Houston that come out with an initial rendering that could qualify as the 9th wonder of the world, only to later scale back the project and build something entirely different and unimpressive altogether.

Step 1: Release overly ambitious rendering to get approval from the permit office.

Step 2: Once approval is gained, release said rendering to local press to create a frenzied buzz. (Hotel Allessandra)

Step 3: Drastically scale back the project to something much more cost efficient and far less impressive.

Step 4: Release UPDATED renderings and some lame excuse about "continuity" as to why the design SUCKS now.

Step 5: ???????

Step 6: Profit

• Like 7

Well I'll be damned.

That explains all the projects in Houston that come out with an initial rendering that could qualify as the 9th wonder of the world, only to later scale back the project and build something entirely different and unimpressive altogether.

Step 1: Release overly ambitious rendering to get approval from the permit office.

Step 2: Once approval is gained, release said rendering to local press to create a frenzied buzz. (Hotel Allessandra)

Step 3: Drastically scale back the project to something much more cost efficient and far less impressive.

Step 4: Release UPDATED renderings and some lame excuse about "continuity" as to why the design SUCKS now.

Step 5: ???????

Step 6: Profit

So do owners and designers have to get your expressed permission to change their own designs? I'll make sure to let everyone in my office know...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Renavations to begin soon after the developer closes on the building later this August.

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/08/05/dallas-developer-to-close-on-iconic-downtown.html

With 500 Cawford, Catalyst, Alexan (hopefully) and this within spitting distance of each other, there will be a lot of residents in a tight area. Just a small step out to grab the Texaco building folks too.

Very cool.

• Like 2