Cambria Hotel At 1314 Texas Ave.

Houston19514

Todd Interests, which is nearing completion of the redevelopment of One Dallas Center in downtown Dallas into apartments and office space, is in "hot in pursuit of another development deal – this one in Houston."

They are looking to do more creative redevelopments and one of the deals on the table is the Petroleum Building (more recently known as the Great Southwest Building) in downtown Houston. They are looking to redevelop it into residential or hospitality.

Yes, this interesting news about downtown Houston real estate redevelopment can only be found in the Dallas Morning News.

What currently occupies it?

In fairness, it could be that a DMN reporter already had a contact with the developer, who is Dallas-based. But, I chuckled.

This would be great at adding residential units at a more modest price point than new construction and land acquisition requires. IIRC it has low ceilings, which pretty much eliminates a certain type of buyer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet.

Ya know, we really do have some hidden historic gems downtown. It would be really cool to compile a photo list of historic downtown buildings we hope SHOULD look forward to future renovations to. I'd help but I'm not that knowledgable in that area.

WOW!

This is GREAT news!

In this great redevelopment news, let's not overlook a new Marquette property too!

Another 20+ story tower near the ballpark too! It's great that developers are continuing to follow through with some good developments, despite the "slowdown" in the energy industry.

I think townhomes are a great way of disguising a garage. Adds some variety to all the apartment units too. What streets are the historic buildings on? The townhouses only front 2 of the streets.

Will the petroleum building be apartments? I didn't see that in the article. My guess is that you are correct but, I actually hope that they are condos.

I also hope that the townhomes are all brick and attached. Maybe like the back bay of Boston. That would be nice but, my first impression is that they will be "oddly out of place" in downtown Houston.

• Like 1

im not talking about altering the exterior.. just making it to where residents are able to get out on those set backs. i assume that decorative cornice(?) things around the edges of those provide some sort of "railing" needed for code?

I doubt those roof tops are rated for an outdoor gathering area. Rooftops that carry people have pretty high requirements, as purdue will tell you.

• Like 2