Police Chief invites all Houstonians to Town Hall Meeting

trymahjong

POLICE CHIEF INVITES ALL HOUSTONIANS TO TOWN HALL MEETING

Houston Police Chief Charles A. McClelland, Jr. is asking you to mark your calendars for an HPD Town Hall Meeting on Saturday, February 7.
The Chief is inviting you and your neighbors to meet with him and top HPD commanders at the HPD Citywide Town Hall Meeting, from 10 a.m. to Noon on Saturday, February 7, at the Granville M. Sawyer Auditorium, Texas Southern University Campus, 3100 Cleburne Street. 
Free parking will be provided on the TSU campus, as will accommodations for hearing-impaired citizens. 

Attendees will also have the opportunity to participate in the "Shoot, Don't Shoot" simulator, as well as view displays of the HPD Helicopter and the SWAT Tactical Vehicle.
Chief McClelland and his commanders will take questions one-on-one and in group settings to find out what issues are of most importance to you and your neighbors.  Everyone is encouraged to attend and to voice concerns and ask questions.  The event will also be live-streamed on the HPD YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/houstonpolicedeptand live-blogged at www.hpdtownhallmeeting.blogspot.com
Following Chief McClelland's address and a question-and-answer period, you will be able to break into smaller groups to meet with HPD patrol captains who oversee your neighborhoods.  Members of various HPD divisions including Internal Affairs, Homicide and Juvenile will also be present. 
A video clip of last year's Town Hall Meeting can be viewed on the HPD YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JencRauhEk. Photos of last year's Town Hall meeting can be viewed on the HPD Flickr page at https://www.flickr.com/photos/houstonpolice/sets/72157640603919883/
For more information regarding this event, visit www.houstonpolice.org or call 713-308-3200.

• 4 weeks later...

The meeting is this Saturday---------

I'm not sure how the Q&A will be handled---I thought I'd stand in the question line since  I would like to know how close HPD is to giving all the officers body cameras but after the central one district PIP last night I guess I'm more curious to know why after all this time. . . . . why are the violent crime stats are up. . . . . . . 

I did go to this meeting--

DA Anderson spoke about the million+$ her office was giving the HPD and Sheriff dept for body cameras

Also

Spoke about grand juries and  the very narrow question to be considered (the legislature mandates that shootings where an individual feels in fear of his own life aren't indictable) of   officer shootings and indictments.

lastly spoke about wanting a broader jury pool for grand jury selection-----and apparently the DA's office is hiring and wants it's office to be more diverse.

Chief McClelland spoke also-- The HPD is diverse 53% minorities with a big budget that only allows for 6% to go towards operating after payroll part of it.

He did speak of lowering the rate of BMV, auto theft and that generally crime as a whole was down--------but nothing said about increase in violent crime.

Something that did stand out- He said that HPD had the lease amount of complaints lodged against them ever--206 complaints in 2014 out of the kazillion encounters with citizens--

He seemed to spend a lot of time speaking about customer service. . . . . . .

I noticed two separate articles in today's Chronicle-- one on remarks from McClelland and picture of protester (that was a bit sad as there were only 3 and poof it was over in a couple of minutes--

DA Anderson's remarks on Grand Jury selection got front page coverage---hmmmmmm

Archived