Cuba and Houston?

samagon

So political discussion aside...

What effect would this have on Houston? Say things open up with Cuba to the level they are with Vietnam, or other cold war enemies that we are now pretty open with, how does this effect Houston?

I assume the most immediate effect will be flights from IAH (and soon Hobby) to Cuba?

If it ever gets opened up far enough, trade through port of Houston?

I'd imagine Miami has the most to lose/gain at the same time. They'd become to closest city to Cuba, so why go to Miami when you can go to this place that was forbidden? Maybe go to Miami to get on a cruise ship that stops in Cuba?

Why Tampa?

Proximity, decent sized port, historical connections, good connections to the rail system. Tampa's port system is much larger than Miami's and will likely stay that way, owing to geography.

It would be the port of focus for any high-speed containerized transport (via rail) to the East Coast or Midwest, while Elizabeth, NJ would likely be the port of focus for less time-critical goods. Houston could see an uptick of containerized goods going west on rails, though.

I doubt it would be a boon.  Florida is positioned much better for interaction with Cuba.

The port will grow regardless of Cuba even existing.  Perhaps the cruise business would grow - though that's a long way from Galveston/Port of Houston to Cuba across the Gulf.

I doubt it would be a boon.  Florida is positioned much better for interaction with Cuba.

The port will grow regardless of Cuba even existing.  Perhaps the cruise business would grow - though that's a long way from Galveston/Port of Houston to Cuba across the Gulf.

Havana is as close or closer to Houston/Galveston than many current cruise destinations.

Havana is as close or closer to Houston/Galveston than many current cruise destinations.

You're right.  I was thinking there are more stops along the eastern coast of Mexico prior to the Yucatan.  I forget at just how big of an expanse the Gulf is.

I had thought perhaps cruises would take people along the Gulf Coast and Florida over to Cuba?  Maybe that would work.

Archived