Dry Creek Restaurant At 544 Yale St.

segovia

Another restaurant that took a long time to get going just opened up. I have not tried it yet. I believe it is associated with the Onion Creek Coffee House establishment farther up White Oak Drive. Has anyone tried it yet? It is located in the "dry" area of the Houston Heights. I wonder if they allow BYOB/W?

This may be a little divergent, but what is the dry area of the Heights?

Is this link to some old city ordinance or deed restrictions?

Just curious.

The below comes from Chapter 1 of the History of Houston Heights - it gives a bit of background but i'm not sure if it will totally answer your question --

http://community.rice.edu/focusresources/b...atha/index.html

During Mayor Barker's term of office, the saloons were driven out when the Heights was voted dry on September 25, 1912. The Heights already had half a dozen saloons and the residents wanted these removed from the vicinity of their homes. The matter was never a question of Pros and Antis. The electioneering, Mayor Barker recalls, was all carried on at night, because that was the only time that anybody could spare for the business. It was all kept free of politics and remained to the end a matter of homeowners protecting their neighborhoods from disturbing influences.

The dry law in the Heights is still enforced. And the question of boundaries affected by the law comes more frequently to the Heights Library for solution than any other purely local inquiry. -Here are the boundaries as quoted by Mayor Barker to the Heights Library:

From White Oak Bayou and Heights Boulevard to the west line of the Heights plat - north to 16th Street -west to west line of Houston Heights plat -- north to center of 26th Street -- east down center of 26th Street to center of Yale Street -- south on center of Yale Street to center of 22nd Street -- east on center of 22nd Street to east end of Heights plat again -- then south following east line Heights Addition to White Oak Bayou -- following bayou to Heights Boulevard.

• 3 weeks later...

Was there Saturday. The lady at the cash register couldn't have been ruder. She growls at me "take a seat". :angry: Like I'm supposed to automatically know what their serving system is. There was no "please be seated sign". At the Oinion Creek you order from the counter. I assumed they had the same system at the Dry Creek. Well after being seated and ignored for about 15 minutes I just left. Looks like a nice place and hopefully they will get their service straightened out in time. Hopefully they will get some cheerful help because the place looks like a great addition to the area.

Was there Saturday. The lady at the cash register couldn't have been ruder. She growls at me "take a seat".  :angry: Like I'm supposed to automatically know what their serving system is. There was no "please be seated sign". At the Oinion Creek you order from the counter. I assumed they had the same system at the Dry Creek. Well after being seated and ignored for about 15 minutes I just left. Looks like a nice place and hopefully they will get their service straightened out in time. Hopefully they will get some cheerful help because the place looks like a great addition to the area.

That is a shame. I would be interested to see the statistics on how may restuarants quickly go under due to poor service. I think many new restuarants do not spend enough time training and working on customer service and assume it will all just work itself out.

Many people will experience what you did and simply never go back. I try to give a resturant a second chance if there were some redeeming qualities.

That is a shame.  I would be interested to see the statistics on how may restuarants quickly go under due to poor service.  I think many new restuarants do not spend enough time training and working on customer service and assume it will all just work itself out.

Many people will experience what you did and simply never go back.  I try to give a resturant a second chance if there were some redeeming qualities.

I'll be back. I'll give them a month or so to straighten their service out. Most places have service issues when they first open.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree with West 20th. I was excited to see Dry Creek there and it is a nice, fun place. However, they really need to hire some people who don't have bad attitudes. I love the place, it's great, but I noticed from the beginning that some of the Gen-x staff they are hiring have this "cool" attitude which is actually kind of rude and not helpful and not really so cool.

I'm a Gen-Xer myself but why would someone want to spend money when the people behind the counter are glaring at you?

There's really nothing cool about not being nice.

I'd still definitely recommend the place, and I know it's a coffeeshop and all, but manager, please hire some new people!

I agree with West 20th. I was excited to see Dry Creek there and it is a nice, fun place. However, they really need to hire some people who don't have bad attitudes. I love the place, it's great, but I noticed from the beginning that some of the Gen-x staff they are hiring have this "cool" attitude which is actually kind of rude and not helpful and not really so cool.

I'm a Gen-Xer myself but why would someone want to spend money when the people behind the counter are glaring at you?

There's really nothing cool about not being nice.

I'd still definitely recommend the place, and I know it's a coffeeshop and all, but manager, please hire some new people!

Geesh. This is too bad. I was there a couple of times when they first opened (which was about 4 or 5 months ago). The service was a little slow due to being understaffed, but the servers were nice and accomodating. It's a shame that it's gotten worse rather than better. I have to wonder if they weren't busy enough to keep good servers there (read- not enough money) and have had to settle for what they have now.

I like going to Onion Creek, but have never found them to be the beer-and-a-smile types there either. I just don't worry about it since it's counter service.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Originally posted September 2, 2016 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

Bobby Heugel and Justin Yu are taking over Dry Creek Cafe at 544 Yale. No reports on what the name is yet.

From Eater Houston:

Justin Yu And Bobby Heugel Are Teaming Up To Open A Concept In The Heights

They’ve been friends and colleagues for years, but now Houston’s own bar mastermind Bobby Heugel and James Beard Award-winning chef Justin Yu are teaming up to open a brand new concept.

A statement provided to Eater describes the concept as a “neighborhood business” and will open in the former Dry Creek Cafe (which shuttered this week) space at 544 Yale. The soon-to-arrive spot will be Yu’s second concept, and considering his successes over the past few years, you can expect for the hype to build furiously before whatever this is even opens its doors.

The details on the menu and beverage programs have yet to be hashed out — or even if it will be called a restaurant or bar — but the power duo is working on creating a comfortable spot where they’d want to hang out after a long day in front of the ovens.

Yu and Heugel have not announced a name for their project as of yet, but expect that it will open in early 2017. Stay tuned for more details on this exciting new addition to the Heights.

Originally posted February 5, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

On 2/3/2017 at 3:35 PM, Angostura said:

Construction underway.

today at our new place in the Heights at 6th & Yale. Due to architectural and permitting delays, we are about a month to month and half behind schedule, which actually works out perfect for Justin's plans for closing @oxhearthouston. Can't wait to share more with you all about this project! #DirtyBlueJeansMornings #BlackBowTieNights

pk1FDap.jpg

Coooool.

Originally posted April 27, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

On 3/29/2017 at 12:08 PM, s3mh said:

Pictures of Better Luck Tomorrow bar opening at 544 Yale where Dry Creek Cafe was (from Instagram):

VgNJnmq.jpg

mfWsCla.jpg

V4c1YWu.jpg

Wi5eHT6.jpg

Originally posted August 8, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

Signage is up for Better Luck Tomorrow at 544 Yale after a few months of being open.

L9T3FzO.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXglnONh5Py

• The title was changed to Dry Creek Restaurant At 544 Yale St.
  • 9 months later...

An Eater Houston article from yesterday, Bobby Heugel of Thorough Fare divulges renovations for Better Luck Tomorrow.

Located at 544 Yale St, the Heights bar is one of several restaurant and bar concepts from Heugel and Justin Yu's  hospitality group.

An excerpt from the article:

Heugel shares that BLT’s original outpost on Heights Boulevard is also getting a hefty revamp. Along with new cocktail and food menus anticipated in the next couple of months, a major overhaul of the space includes a redesign of the back bar, reimagining its patios and all of the outdoor landscaping, adding an awning on the side facing out to Yale Street, swapping out all of the furniture, and bringing in TVs for the first time.

https://houston.eater.com/2023/4/17/23686378/houston-chefs-galveston-hotel-lucine

• Like 3