Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Three entrepreneurs that formed a company last month to open and operate bars and restaurants in the Central Business District have signed their first deal.

Joe Martin, John Zotos and Jeffrey Yarbrough have leased the space at 416 Main Street, formerly home to Saba Blue Water Cafe, and are in the process of renovating the 3,600-square-foot location. It will reopen as a yet-unnamed Mexican restaurant.

This will be the first new restaurant along Main Street since the Downtown Entertainment District opened in October 2003.

Check it out here...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...06/daily16.html

Corner Bakery is a Brinker concept (yes, corporate) and will be done June 27th. Wulfgang Puck will be an Express.

Not a big fan of Corner bakery, more than likely a lunch time spot that closes at night. Still, as we all say, better than another empty spot in a building. Its too bad the name implies something local and cozy, but is in fact a typical chain. Basically an american version of La Madeleine.

I'm not exactly holding my breath for P Diddy or Emeril to open up restaurants here. Yes it would be great for name recognition, but the quality of restaurants already here would far surpass what either of those two hacks can produce. Wulfgang Puck Express is a prime example of a way to attach your name to anything that can be mass produced. As the Houston Press said, Chef Boyardee was probably once a respected chef.

Three entrepreneurs that formed a company last month to open and operate bars and restaurants in the Central Business District have signed their first deal.

Joe Martin, John Zotos and Jeffrey Yarbrough have leased the space at 416 Main Street, formerly home to Saba Blue Water Cafe, and are in the process of renovating the 3,600-square-foot location. It will reopen as a yet-unnamed Mexican restaurant.

This will be the first new restaurant along Main Street since the Downtown Entertainment District opened in October 2003.

Check it out here...

Check it out here...

Good. There hasn't been a traditional type Mexican restaurant downtown since El Tiempo closed. Cabo is more a bar with a limited selection of Mexican food, Tapatia is a taqueria, and Irma's is not even open nights or weekends. Closest place now is Ninfa's on Navigation I guess. Unless you count 9 Amigos at Minute Maid Park.

• 4 weeks later...

El Centro is now open in the old Saba location. I had lunch there yesterday and it was pretty good. Still had food on my plate when I was done. Not cheap (my platter was about $10), but it was well prepared and still not as expensive as Cabo.

All in all, I think it may be able to compete with Jefe Grill. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I tried it a little over a week ago. Wasn't too terribly impressed, I like some other places around downtown better for burgers. it wasn't bad, but to be honest, eating a burger to be healthy isn't my thing. The people were nice there though and I did like the fact they had a syrup machine to add to flavor to sodas. for example, I was able to turn my normal Dr Pepper into a cherry Dr. pepper. Price was slightly less than Beck's.

• 4 weeks later...