Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

Hopefully not! It'd be great to see some local independent resaurants open up, though.

IMO, chain restaurants are for the suburbs, where people like predictable, bland, pre-packaged food that doesn't require a chef to prepare. There are a few exeptions, but that is generally what my experience has been.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully not! It'd be great to see some local independent resaurants open up, though.

IMO, chain restaurants are for the suburbs, where people like predictable, bland, pre-packaged food that doesn't require a chef to prepare. There are a few exeptions, but that is generally what my experience has been.

Chains like middle- and lower-class neighborhoods, doesn't matter whether they're in the urban core, a first-ring suburb, or in a far-flung exurb. It's all about income. Geography is pretty much irrelevent...unless of course you're one of those folks that thinks that you aren't really in the inner loop if you reside in the east half, but that you might just make it as an inner looper if you live in west Bellaire or the Galleria area.

• 10 months later...

A Mexican restaurant where St. Pete's used to be, and what looks to be a deli/grocery mart below the Byrd Lofts. I have a feeling this grocery mart won't cater to the types of people that the other two crack shacks draw.

I'm looking forward to this. I was trying to find some hamburger buns the other day and none of the downtown stores had any...including CVS.

I never knew it was called Byrd Loft's, I just remember seeing something about Joseph Finger carved into the wall. It's got a really cool roof-top deck.

I hope they do put a store in the unoccupied downstairs space. It's loft and hotel city around there, plus the train station.

I never knew it was called Byrd Loft's, I just remember seeing something about Joseph Finger carved into the wall. It's got a really cool roof-top deck.

I hope they do put a store in the unoccupied downstairs space. It's loft and hotel city around there, plus the train station.

I agree. Anything is good as long as it's not another one of those "Jefe" variants. ugh.

• 2 months later...

The "retail" portion of that horrible parking garage on Main and Walker sat empty for a long time, but last night when I walked by it looked like they were doing something, and the sign on the door said "restaurant buildout" or something like that. That's great news! Has anybody heard anything about it? Also its surprising that they would build new restaurant space there while retail space sits empty at Main Street Square (the old Tropioca for example).

I also noticed a new place opened where St. Pete's used to be. Has anybody been there or heard anything about it?

I also noticed a new place opened where St. Pete's used to be. Has anybody been there or heard anything about it?

there's already a thread here. it's two restaurants, cielo (mexican) and gibson's (steak). but i think i heard gibson's was changing names cause of pressure from the chicago gibson's. been to cielo once over the holidays and didn't think it was good. others i know also found it mediocre but i told a manager i would give it another chance.

• 5 months later...

I like downtown, but don't visit it enough.....

I'm considering spending a day there, so that means buying food to eat, and since im likely to

grab a bite more than once, I'm hoping some HAIF'ers can help me out on locating some

CHEAP TO MODERATELY PRICED ESTABLISHMENTS

So if anyone can point out fast-food joints, and eateries like bakeries or ice cream shops that would be appreciated(if any)

Please no restaurants, unless it fits the price range....No More than $15 per person....though id like to pay $5-10

Ive been to Disco Green, and tried the Lakehouse Cafe(good burgers..) but id like to explore the whole area

& Ive been to TheShopsatHC, but only have ordered from the fast food places like Subway and Chik-Fil-A

If you'd like to recommend a place, i only ask

1.that you leave a description to what they offer(unless its a fast food place, cause everybody knows that)

2. its address, or location relative to the nearby landmarks ( next to MMP, for example)

3. hours of operation, if you know...

4. cost

THANK YOU, REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT

dont be afraid to point out fast food places as well, since thats what im most likely to get a meal from

because the only fast food places i know of in downtown are the ones in The Shops....., but i know theres more

• Like 1

-El Rey on Main just behind Market Square - http://www.elreytaqueria.com/

-Market Square Bar & Grill (on Travis) - http://www.marketsquaregrill.com/

-Cabo if you go a la carte - http://www.cabomixmex.com/

-Burger King (still there, I think) on Travis at Capitol

I second Flying Saucer for food, too: http://www.beerknurd.com/store.sub.php?store=6&sub=food

And here's the web site for Frank's - http://www.frankspizza.com/

Hmm....I"m surprised anyone haven't mentioned the tunnels with all these restaurants (mostly fast food last time I visited) down there. It seems there are so many that you could eat at a different one everyday in a month and not run out of options. :-)

El Rey at Main and Congress is good and cheap Mex/Cuban.

Les Givral Kahve (Vietnamese) at 801 Congress is good and cheap too. I'm munching down on a $3.00 sandwich from there, right now.

Both the Longhorn and Market Square Grill have small patios.

Pappa's BBQ, 2 locations DT.

1. Pierce and San Jacinto

2. There is another one up by city hall.

It is BBQ, do you need a menu? :P

Foods priced like any BBQ place.

It appears that there will be 3 or 4 different ice cream shops in the Houston pavilions, at least, on my last walk through they were coming soon signs. I'll probably go through again tonight and have a more accurate idea.

I've also seen lots of ice cream trucks parked along the street surrounding disco green.

Edited by samagon

Hmm....I"m surprised anyone haven't mentioned the tunnels with all these restaurants (mostly fast food last time I visited) down there. It seems there are so many that you could eat at a different one everyday in a month and not run out of options. :-)

During the week, yes :)