Downtown Restaurant And Bar Market

Yeah because they were supposed to make an announcement a couple of months ago and still nothing. 

No.  Don't think so.  I believe they are negotiating with three developers and hope to have an agreement by the end of the year.  Unlikely to see any announcements unless and until they have an agreement with a developer.

No.  There were a half dozen developers that responded to the RFQ.  They narrowed the list to three a couple months ago.

if this is in regards to the sakowitz site i've heard that the RFQ wasn't worth the paper it was written on and at least some major developers opted to not even respond. 

That aerial view is so nice on the first page - the Dynamo stadium really pops out with the orange seats.  It also puts front and center the lots that have been developed next to Discovery Green and GRB

As for the RFQ, I'd be interested to know why no one wants to touch it - it does look like a prime spot especially if the neighboring building is offering its first couple of floors for leasing as well

That aerial view is so nice on the first page - the Dynamo stadium really pops out with the orange seats.  It also puts front and center the lots that have been developed next to Discovery Green and GRB

As for the RFQ, I'd be interested to know why no one wants to touch it - it does look like a prime spot especially if the neighboring building is offering its first couple of floors for leasing as well

Let's not get carried away.  According to the press reports, it is not true that no one wants to touch it.  We were told that 6 developers responded to the RFQ and that list was narrowed to three, with whom discussions apparently continue.  That is a far cry from "no one wants to touch it." 

Edited by Houston19514

Yea I wanted to make Christian's Tailgate downtown my go to bar this season to watch college football. Unfortunately, the Florida Gator alumni group decided to infest the place to watch their games... ugh..

(I'm a Florida State grad  :P )

"A sense of places emerging......"

I think that you are correct about that. Well said.

Incidentally, the pics were snapped all around DT during the same timeframe last Friday afternoon.  The idea that there are multiple places one could "be" outside of the tunnels (Discovery Green, Market Square Park, Main St Square, Phonecia) was unheard of a few years ago.  There are still plenty "dead zones", but that's steadily changing.

Incidentally, the pics were snapped all around DT during the same timeframe last Friday afternoon.  The idea that there are multiple places one could "be" outside of the tunnels (Discovery Green, Market Square Park, Main St Square, Phonecia) was unheard of a few years ago.  There are still plenty "dead zones", but that's steadily changing.

I think it's normal to have a few dead zone's. But yeah you're right things are heading in the right direction. What's even better is that Midtown and EaDo are tying in to Downtown along with the revamp of Buffalo Bayou Park. Everything is coming along nicely. 

• Like 1

I think it's normal to have a few dead zone's. But yeah you're right things are heading in the right direction. What's even better is that Midtown and EaDo are tying in to Downtown along with the revamp of Buffalo Bayou Park. Everything is coming along nicely. 

I agree, and everything feels uniquely "Houston" if that makes sense.  It's as though we're finally embracing what we have--Bayous, Live Oaks, Diversity--with places like Buffalo Bayou Park, Discovery Green, and Phoenicia instead of envying that we don't have the natural beauty of Austin per se.  I enjoy visiting Austin, went there for school and have a daughter there now; but I am excited to see Houston move in a more "urbane" direction given its population size, diversity, economy, etc.

DT Houston, finally becoming more than an enormous corporate park that shuts down after 5 pm. 

• Like 2

I agree, and everything feels uniquely "Houston" if that makes sense.  It's as though we're finally embracing what we have--Bayous, Live Oaks, Diversity--with places like Buffalo Bayou Park, Discovery Green, and Phoenicia instead of envying that we don't have the natural beauty of Austin per se.  I enjoy visiting Austin, went there for school and have a daughter there now; but I am excited to see Houston move in a more "urbane" direction given its population size, diversity, economy, etc.

DT Houston, finally becoming more than an enormous corporate park that shuts down after 5 pm. 

Exactly, Houstonians embracing their city is really nice to see finally

• Like 2

Awful: Having to tell someone no when they ask for money. What a nightmare!

Do you live downtown?

I do. Unfortunately, it's not "someone"........

More often than not on a 10 block walk, I will get asked for money, sometimes 2 or three times on the same walk, day in, and day out. Day after day after day After day after day. Some are passive. Others are quite aggressive. One was pissing on the side of a building at the corner of Lamar and Fannin while asking for money. Another pissing on a garbage can at a bus stop.

how about riding up behind you on a bike on the sidewalk and then cutting immediately in front of you, stopping, blocking your way, and asking for money. When you way "no", set aside to get around him, and continue to walk he rides along beside you continuing to beg for money. Now add your wife or girlfriend the the equation. Sit on a sidewalk bench or plaza. Enjoy the sun. Any bets on how long it will take before some addict or alcoholic sits down and asks for money. See, they need to get to (name a city) for a job but they have no money. They have the job offer right here in their pocket. Blah, blah, blah.

Day after day after day.

Do you live downtown?

• Like 6

Double U I tend to agree with you, but you gotta see how that makes you sound a bit entitled, no? You're wealthy enough that you can afford to live downtown, so dealing with the occasional pan handler doesn't seem like such a high price to pay.

Besides, we all act like the homeless "issue" in Htine is different than what happens in other major cities when it's really not.

Double U I tend to agree with you, but you gotta see how that makes you sound a bit entitled, no? You're wealthy enough that you can afford to live downtown, so dealing with the occasional pan handler doesn't seem like such a high price to pay.

Besides, we all act like the homeless "issue" in Htine is different than what happens in other major cities when it's really not.

Two points to this.....

I agree with you that The "occasional" panhandler is truly not the issue. But that is not what I am describing. Rather, I am Describing being asked for money when out for a walk with friends, coworkers, wives or dates --not once in a while but multiple times per day often on the same stroll ---- multiple days per week --- many weeks of the year. That is not ""Occasional" but "constant". And it is a problem.

But, your are correct, The people who are most effected by these "addicts, panhandlers, and grifters" really aren't me. Rather, they are the solid folk who are just waiting at the bus stop to catch a bus to their job (or home to see the kids). They face the brunt of these people who routinely Urinate at the bus stop, ask for money, drinking beer and sleep on the bus bench, under the roof, smelling like piss, while the 62 year old women who has been working on her feet all day needs to stand up, in the rain to wait for her bus -- the addict took her seat....... I got it easy compared to the metro riders.....

I have spent a lot of time on business and pleasure in places like Boston, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. In those cities, I would agree with you every now and then you might be asked for money on your daily walks around the city. Truly "occational" and no big deal.

Unfortunately, I am personally aware of visitors to Houston - business people and conventioneers alike -- who have commented about the "frequent and aggressive" panhandlers". Of the folks who comment, many of them are actually quite off-put. They leave Houston and then go home to tell friends and colleagues about all the "panhandlers -- some quite aggressive". A number of these folks live in NYC or Chicago or Boston. I know them personally. They live in those cities, not in the 'burbs. They all comment that (paraphrasing) "what's with Houston? That stuff just doesn't happen to me here (in my town)." That kind of PR can't be good for Houston in the long-term.

• Like 1

I think the homeless are a problem. I have sympathy for them, but not a lot of empathy.

In general, I dislike anyone who forces themselves onto you, in conversation or physically. I live near downtown and there are always people wondering around. And I wish they would all be removed from our streets

• Like 1