Texas Children's Hospital Lester And Sue Smith Legacy Tower At 6651 South Main St.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a sighting of a bald eagle this morning just east of the med center on Brays Bayou. There are three Osprey that usually work this stretch that I call the Big bend. Lots of Heron and Egrets hang out in the rapids there. But nothing like an Eagle. My wife who works on 6th floor of UT school of nursing said when she got up in her office she watched it flying back and forth fishing the bayou. 

It was incredible to see such a big bird on Brays Bayou. Hope its there again tomorrow.

• Like 7

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, bobruss said:

Had a sighting of a bald eagle this morning just east of the med center on Brays Bayou. There are three Osprey that usually work this stretch that I call the Big bend. Lots of Heron and Egrets hang out in the rapids there. But nothing like an Eagle. My wife who works on 6th floor of UT school of nursing said when she got up in her office she watched it flying back and forth fishing the bayou. 

It was incredible to see such a big bird on Brays Bayou. Hope its there again tomorrow.

That's VERY cool!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 8:35 PM, bobruss said:

Its amazing to see how dense the medical center has become.

Maybe a little too dense. They need to start building taller. I worked in the med center in the early 2000s and back then I appreciated the connectivity, but there were gaps. Now it's crazy how much in fill has taken place. Even on some green space.

If there were residential components ingrained in TMC it would be the most urban feeling area of Houston. I can imagine TMC being twice the size by now if residential was part of the deal from the start.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Maybe a little too dense. They need to start building taller. I worked in the med center in the early 2000s and back then I appreciated the connectivity, but there were gaps. Now it's crazy how much in fill has taken place. Even on some green space.

If there were residential components ingrained in TMC it would be the most urban feeling area of Houston. I can imagine TMC being twice the size by now if residential was part of the deal from the start.

Residential on the outskirts makes tons sense, but not on the interior. Our response times could be negatively impacted by throwing other types of visitors/traffic in the mix. Also, the TMC is going to start getting taller (hence this project added 19 floors on top of an existing 6).

• Like 9

1 hour ago, brian0123 said:

Residential on the outskirts makes tons sense, but not on the interior. Our response times could be negatively impacted by throwing other types of visitors/traffic in the mix. Also, the TMC is going to start getting taller (hence this project added 19 floors on top of an existing 6).

I think we are going off of two different definitions of TMC. I think you may be going off what we traditionally considered TMC (that area between Holcome and Hermann park. 

When I think of TMC I now extend that definition all the way down to the women's center and all the way east to the Veterans complex. I think housing in that triangle made by the original TMC area, the women's hospital and the Veterans complex would work.

Apart from MD Anderson that are between fanning, OST, Braeswood and Cambridge is basically empty. Lots of room for development and would link the fragments of TMC.

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I think we are going off of two different definitions of TMC. I think you may be going off what we traditionally considered TMC (that area between Holcome and Hermann park. 

When I think of TMC I now extend that definition all the way down to the women's center and ask the way east to the Veterans complex. I think housing in that triangle made my the original TMC area, the women's hospital and the Veterans complex would work.

Apart from MD Anderson that are between fanning, OST, Braeswood and Cambridge is basically empty. Lots of room for development and would link the fragments of TMC.

I agree about those parts. I was defining TMC as the main hospital system areas. I'm down Southwest of TMC and agree even s main has tremendous potential.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2014 at 7:54 PM, toxtethogrady said:

So are there any renders of the project or is it going to look an awful lot like Mark Wallace?

mark-a-wallace1*304xx1867-2800-121-0.jpg

And my second question is a pre-empt: is it going to have GFR? :P

Yea!  My CEO!  

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

That's neat!

Did a little research about MRI machines. From Time

Used low-field MRI machines can be as cheap as $150,000 or as expensive as $1.2 million. For a state-of-the-art 3 Tesla MRI machine, the price tag to buy one new can reach $3 million.

The room that houses the machine, called an MRI suite, can cost hundreds of thousands more. Safety features must be built in to protect those right outside from the magnetic field. Add in patient support areas and installation costs, and a suite with just one machine can cost anywhere from $3 million to $5 million. Recouping these costs factors into your bill, but that alone does not tell the entire story.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Texas Children's Hospital Legacy Tower At 6651 South Main St.
  • 1 year later...

Might be my favorite TCH building! The term legacy isn't used lightly here.  The circular sky bridge is amazing too!  I believe the building naming rights is a different Smith family other than the infamous Robert (R.E. Bob) Smith?

Designed by Cannondesign.

I took this photo today.

UyIadNK.jpeg

• The title was changed to Texas Children's Hospital Lester And Sue Smith Legacy Tower At 6651 South Main St.