Condominiums For Downtown At 103 N. Jackson St.

Urbannizer

Here are some excerpts from an email I got from them today...

We are pleased to send you the update of what was achieved in the month of April. As promised, we worked with our architects to integrate design suggestions from our VIPs and our Insiders Club- a total of nearly 3,500 people. So that's a lot of great input and it was all processed. Future homeowners have talked and we listened. The first three sites that were launched for sales to VIPs are 2401 Crawford St. (Midtown), 4819 Caroline St. (Museum District), and 3410 Morningside Dr. (Upper Kirby).

You might have heard in the press that David Modlin, a very respected homebuilder with 26 years of experience in Houston, has decided to join Surge Homes team and lead our construction crew in order to deliver beautiful quality homes. Expect to see some demolition of current structures on the first three sites in the Spring and land development will follow in the Summer. We have a lot of demand for our other communities too, and as we get more input from VIPs on the new designs, we will be able to select the next group of projects that will be released for sale.

Today, in this e-newsletter, we have disclosed one of our new elevations for the Heights (left picture) and Midtown (right picture). There will be many more, and we'll also announce new floor plan and community layouts in our updated website, which will be released in approximately 30 days.

unnamed.jpg?t=1430410747390&width=318    unnamed_1.jpg?t=1430410747390&width=306

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wth is that rock in the bottom left corner? haha Man did we really think this was ok back in the day to landscape with massive rocks in the middle of the city? 

I can tell you having been in the industry, lots of property managers STILL think putting a boulder at the corner of a driveway is the best way to discourage trucks from hopping the curb on their way in/out.

I'm crowd sourcing funding for a Gehry designed residential/office/hotel supertall on the block next to Marlowe. I'm putting a Central Market in the second through 4th floors.

That said, I can modulate the scope of my ambitions to match whatever cash comes in the door.

• Like 5

I can tell you having been in the industry, lots of property managers STILL think putting a boulder at the corner of a driveway is the best way to discourage trucks from hopping the curb on their way in/out.

Seriously? All that means is your boulder keeps ending up in the street when the truck hits it and you have to pay your landscaping guy to put it back in place again. I've never understood why places keep doing this.

• 1 year later...

A week or so ago HPD was talking/citing homeless in the morning that were sleeping here. As of at least this past Tuesday, there was a fence on at least the east side of the building. I didn't see the rest, but I'm assuming it goes all around.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lockmat said:

A week or so ago HPD was talking/citing homeless in the morning that were sleeping here. As of at least this past Tuesday, there was a fence on at least the east side of the building. I didn't see the rest, but I'm assuming it goes all around.

Apologies, wrong address. My description is for 37 N. Jackson. Is there a thread for that building?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lockmat said:

Apologies, wrong address. My description is for 37 N. Jackson. Is there a thread for that building?

Not that I've seen, but following the new homeless camping policy enforcement, I'm guessing the city required the building owners to put the fence up. The homeless camp that set up on the covered loading docks there disappeared one night and never came back. The fence actually showed up a few days after.  It's kind of a neat building with what could be a nice "porch" setup, but it's going to take a tanker full of bleach to get the smell out.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2015 at 3:56 PM, brijonmang said:

Having traveled to Europe on many occasions that using boulders to try and protect property has been happening for centuries. if you look at the image here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3781015,10.18004,3a,90y,306.94h,74.79t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-mG4rlIaE6eE%2FVcN1h7wvCSI%2FAAAAAAAAEZA%2FPw06jjyGy50fmcIqmqkwFNpEikoFCqOIgCJkC!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F-mG4rlIaE6eE%2FVcN1h7wvCSI%2FAAAAAAAAEZA%2FPw06jjyGy50fmcIqmqkwFNpEikoFCqOIgCJkC%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya206.14499-ro0-fo100%2F!7i8312!8i4156

above is from the inner core of one of the medieval towns that still remains intact in Germany, Rothenburg

You notice on the bottom corner of every building in the picture linked there is a boulder sticking out from the building into the street, these were specifically introduced to keep carts from hitting the buildings when they were turning corners all the way back in the medieval period. Today they do they same thing for cars in this very city.

So these property managers don't do it to stop trucks (any vehicle really) from hopping the curb, they do it because it helps to protect their property, and it has worked (literally) for centuries. Pay once for a landscaper to put a boulder in place that doesn't move when hit by a truck, or pay multiple times to have a landscaper keep bringing fill dirt to fix the ruts in your land. It also provides a visual marker to the truck driver that they don't want to cross.

The trick is you just need a big enough boulder (as someone else said), or maybe you can get part of an old telephone pole, sink it 4 or 5 feet into the ground with 3 or 4 feet above ground, that thing isn't going to move for anything.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 7

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Condominiums For Downtown At 103 N. Jackson St.