A Map Of Neartown

trymahjong

This map was handed out At Neartown meeting along with this list-There was a presentation for Neartown then

A spokesperson from Ellen Cohen's office told us a few updates-

Mandell Park Completed

Montrose Safe Sidewalks completed (an extremely limited project to sidewalks having direct access to schools or ADA direct access to and from work etc)

Montrose Area- Midtown Drainage-- spoke concerning Avondale area-- final assessment is next week

Brick streets in Freedmens town-- work continues-- repairs will be made- bricks put back on top afterwards

Shepherd street still a mess

Dunlavy street postponed 

post-6399-0-56832900-1414586709_thumb.jp

post-6399-0-82190500-1414586733_thumb.jp

Note its marked 2008.

Neartown isn't a very popular term, even people that live in the area aren't familiar with it. I live near Taft and West Gray and feel more of a Montrose vibe rather than Midtown, but usually tell people I live between Montrose and Midtown.

Ahhh, Neartown.  Another one of those marketing names that never caught on, like Jetero airport (IAH) or The Magic Circle.  With any amount of luck, "EaDo" will join them in the dustbin of obscurity.

Ahhh, Neartown.  Another one of those marketing names that never caught on, like Jetero airport (IAH) or The Magic Circle.  With any amount of luck, "EaDo" will join them in the dustbin of obscurity.

Ya know, Jetero was a typo of Jetera. Luckily, neither name stuck for the airport itself, and while Jetero Blvd. once existed, it had its name changed to Will Clayton in the 70s or 80s, though I think there's a portion still called Jetero to the west of JFK. Can you imagine the flight attendant saying "Welcome to George Bush Houston Jetero Airport"?

Ya know, Jetero was a typo of Jetera. Luckily, neither name stuck for the airport itself, and while Jetero Blvd. once existed, it had its name changed to Will Clayton in the 70s or 80s, though I think there's a portion still called Jetero to the west of JFK. Can you imagine the flight attendant saying "Welcome to George Bush Houston Jetero Airport"?

I reallly like "Jetero" myself, and wish they had stuck with that name.  Intercontinental is kind of clunky, but "Jetero" has a nice mid-century modern ring. 

The odd thing about "Neartown" is that it only seems to exist in the land of marketing.  In my life I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone use that term instead of "Montrose".  "Magic Circle" was goofy, but at least it had some spoken currency.

• The title was changed to COH District C Projects Within Neartown

Archived