Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

Urbannizer is correct, and I believe that is my photo from one of my tweets. The rendering in the middle is actually a rendering of the Camden Toyota Center project. The one on the right I believe was the Randall Davis project. I should have gotten a better shot. Someone can stop by the Central Houston offices for a better look. 

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/29372-camden-conte-21-stories-x2-2-phases-downtown/page-8

• Like 1

You might be able to get a high res, but to be honest this is clearly VERY early in the process. That's literally a Sketchup model thrown onto a google maps plane. I will admit. For a Randall Davis project it's certainly an improvement.....so far. This one has a long way to go, but it's going in the right direction.

• Like 1

The name... conjures up an image of a sleezy detective carelessly puffing away on a cigarette.  Smoke thick in the air, blinds tilted revealing only that its dark and raining outside...and then there's a neon light from the diner across the street casting a red glow across the room

• Like 5

randall.jpg

ok randall davis, i get it... you've been sipping a few... as opposed to lying down upon the proverbial couch.

therefore, i shall in earnest.. try and give you the benefit of the doubt upon your quest to bring forth some new condos upon the downtown houston cbd district...

now dearest randall, you and i as well as all of houston knows... that you are not going to put up that shockingly ugly building right next to GREENSTREET!

randall, i shall never ever forgive you.

randall, please do not do this... please randall, i beg you to think this over.

heck, i shall even take a monster, a demon, chuckie, or even a gargoyle of two....

• Like 2

Wow....I would much rather have the design of the Astoria, or the Titan, or a number of the other buildings that some people here think are poor designs OVER this bland design. I thought this was supposed to be a design that RD was waiting to unveil in a place like downtown.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) that is just an initial massing model to get the square footage right and to give the city an idea of the scale and then RD will surprise everyone with a much better design.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 3

Wow....I would much rather have the design of the Astoria, or the Titan, or a number of the other buildings that some people here think are poor designs OVER this bland design. I thought this was supposed to be a design that RD was waiting to unveil in a place like downtown.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) that is just an initial massing model to get the square footage right and to give the city an idea of the scale and then RD will surprise everyone with a much better design.

Be careful what you wish for. A surprise from RD is likely, but not usually in a good way.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see the final design. I will be curious how they intend to have ingress/egress for automobiles. It looks to me that this first rendering has them entering on Caroline near the bars and across the street from HOB. Caroline gets quite congested during a large HOB event and the area can see a ton of traffic with a large event also at the Toyota Center. I would think that access on Polk would be preferable but, we shall see! It's workable in any event. Just curious.

i have been somewhat perplexed every since the unveiling as per randall davis's marlowe.  sure, none of us are exactly novices here.. and we certainly understand that his prospective rendering / concept is just upon it's initial stages.  however, randall has been contemplating venturing forth back into the downtown cbd market for quite some time now... why on earth would he arrive with such a demure / unattractive / small in scope and scale, at a time when everyone is projecting larger edifices that are practically SCREAMING please rent or buy one of me / strangely introverted totally non glamorous edifice right beside GREENSTREET?

this is just so very perplexing to me after witnessing what all that he has contributed as per the galleria post oak area.  why randall?  why so very demure / quiet / non glamorous now... especially upon the downtown cbd district where you have the utmost capability to showcase your overall developmental strength?  i just do not get it...

• Like 1

This really saddens me. This lot always felt special to me, like it deserves something grand coming out of Green Street, not a dinky highrise on a parking lot.

• Like 1

I like that it doesn't take the whole block. Leaves half the block for future development.

And, it's going to make the condos on the east side of the building be a bit more troubling to sell. Folks understand about losing a view when a building across a 4 lane street goes up. Par for the course. But, a building on the same lot? That may be troubling.

• Like 1

And, it's going to make the condos on the east side of the building be a bit more troubling to sell. Folks understand about losing a view when a building across a 4 lane street goes up. Par for the course. But, a building on the same lot? That may be troubling.

This is the case in pretty much every city. Not sure why it's a surprise to anyone?

If I recall correctly, Houston's CBD blocks are 330' x 330'. Which is about average for a lot of cities. I think the reason so many high rises take up the full block in houston is because they can. Plenty of space to build what you want when the existing structures that were there were leveled 30 years ago. That being said, I would opine that once space starts running out in downtown, you'll start seeing less "full block" construction. Thats my 2 cents at least. 

• Like 6