Dakota79

Marlowe: 20-floors, Downtown Condo Tower

601 posts in this topic

Just now, bobruss said:

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't understand what you are suggesting that I meant. I didn't suggest that they move Chase from where it sits, which would be quite a feat unless Superman is still around. I suggested that they build a superntall someday on the central vacant lot at Milam Louisiana Walker and Mckinney which is surrounded by SOM towers known as skid row. So essentially you said what I was saying or whatever.

 

Just having a little fun.  You said you could see Houston's "first" supertall there.  Our first supertall is Chase Tower.  Our second supertall is Wells Fargo Plaza. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't understand what you are suggesting that I meant. I didn't suggest that they move Chase from where it sits, which would be quite a feat unless Superman is still around. I suggested that they build a supertall someday on the central vacant lot at Milam Louisiana Walker and Mckinney which is surrounded by SOM towers known as skid row. So essentially you said what I was saying or whatever.

 

1 hour ago, ArtNsf said:

At any rate...  at least one of these surface parking lots is prime for a supertall tower, something more than 75 stories, 100 maybe ?  Oh well, a guy can dream right.

 

 

I was just thinking, yeah I agree, but...what if it was a Randall Davis tower? Dream or Nightmare? What would Randall do?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I didn't realize that Chase was considered a supertall. I thought supertall was like over a hundred. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I guess I didn't realize that Chase was considered a supertall. I thought supertall was like over a hundred. 

 

Supertall is generally defined as over 300 meters.  Both Chase and Wells Fargo qualify.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see something like One Vanderbilt built here. NYC is getting approximately 10 new supertalls in their building cycle. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobruss said:

Someday there going to build something spectacular on the block that was going to original be the site for the Bank of the Southwest tower.

I believe that is the corner of Milam Louisiana Walker and McKinney. I could see Houston's first supernal right there.

 

That would be my best guess since it's the only available lot in what may be the most desirable area of downtown for office space.

 

However, our next supertall I think will most likely be mixed use. For this site what's best imo is office #1, hotel #2, but I don't see it as a desirable place to live. Although a very clean and good-looking area, I don't think residential gets put here, which may lower the chance of a supertall, if it's going to be mixed-use.

 

Maybe what tells us our next supertalls location is the highest price lot according to HCAD?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, bobruss said:

I believe this cycle will go down as one of the strongest for the number of empty lots developed.

I think it was 17 blocks this cycle.

Does this account for the new empty lots created by Camden and the bulldozing of that warehouse building (deemed structurally deficient) on Austin ( and maybe Texas-ish) and the Lancaster owners historic bulldozing and, likely a few others?

 

 

Edited by UtterlyUrban
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Timoric said:

 

 

I was just thinking, yeah I agree, but...what if it was a Randall Davis tower? Dream or Nightmare? What would Randall do?

 

Is there enough eye bleach?

 

At least we dodged the Shamrock Tower bullet in favor of 609 Main. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Does this account for the new empty lots created by Camden and the bulldozing of that warehouse building (deemed structurally deficient) on Austin ( and maybe Texas-ish) and the Lancaster owners historic bulldozing and, likely a few others?

 

 

 

The old YMCA Building and the Chronicle complex come to mind. We've lost a few gems in this cycle too. And I am thinking Houston has grown enough that parking garages shouldn't really count. Sure, it's better than an empty lot but they detract from adding anything to the street scape (sidewalks) other than added danger. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would disagree - it depends on the parking garage.  A parking garage that you walk by and not realize it's a garage, because of street level retail and a nice facade, is for sure a net positive.  There aren't many that were built this cycle though, but what I'm mainly thinking of is the new garage for GRB - it has that office tower on top, but it's mainly a garage, but it feels more like an extension of the GRB area when you walk in front of it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, lockmat said:

 

That would be my best guess since it's the only available lot in what may be the most desirable area of downtown for office space.

 

However, our next supertall I think will most likely be mixed use. For this site what's best imo is office #1, hotel #2, but I don't see it as a desirable place to live. Although a very clean and good-looking area, I don't think residential gets put here, which may lower the chance of a supertall, if it's going to be mixed-use.

 

Maybe what tells us our next supertalls location is the highest price lot according to HCAD?

 

hines paid the highest price for a piece of dirt ever in Houston at $550/sf for the chronicle site.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, swtsig said:

 

hines paid the highest price for a piece of dirt ever in Houston at $550/sf for the chronicle site.

 

Wasn't the sale price estimated at $55 million? For a 62,291 SF site (including the parking garage), that would translate to $883/SF, although that does seem high for Houston. $550/SF would bring the total to about $34 million. This was the price for both parcels?

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, swtsig said:

 

hines paid the highest price for a piece of dirt ever in Houston at $550/sf for the chronicle site.

 

I can see why. Proximity to rail, historic district, bayou, office space, park, residential, retail, the arts, freeway ramps, skyline visibility, tunnels, growing area, jury duty, err.

 

What did I leave out?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Wasn't the sale price estimated at $55 million? For a 62,291 SF site (including the parking garage), that would translate to $883/SF, although that does seem high for Houston. $550/SF would bring the total to about $34 million. This was the price for both parcels?

 

 

You are right about the purchase price, it was estimated to have sold for $50-55 Million.  But I think your square footage is off.  62,291 square feet would just cover the main block (maybe not even quite that).  I believe downtown blocks cover 63,435 square feet (not quite 1.5 acres).  1 1/2 blocks would be 95,152.5 square feet.  At $50M, that would be $525.47 per square foot.  At $55M:  $578.02.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

 

You are right about the purchase price, it was estimated to have sold for $50-55 Million.  But I think your square footage is off.  62,291 square feet would just cover the main block (maybe not even quite that).  I believe downtown blocks cover 63,435 square feet (not quite 1.5 acres).  1 1/2 blocks would be 95,152.5 square feet.  At $50M, that would be $525.47 per square foot.  At $55M:  $578.02.

 

That makes sense. My source for the square footage (Costar) must have meant only the main block.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if that funky fixture is one of the options for finishing it out

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it looks like it was decorated by a robot or something that doesn't breathe.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a room that a movie character lives in and would apologize for how messy it is

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the garage is done, they're working on the residential floors now. The columns are higher :)

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now