Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

23 hours ago, hindesky said:

The white and black stripes are making this look so much better.

3bBSMpL.jpg

Yep, I saw them this morning and thought the same. The marketing was going for a vintage 40's feel and the stripes kinda remind me a pin stripes on a suit...pretty clever touch. Glad you got a pic.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 5

Maybe it's turning out be slightly less of an eyesore than The Arabella.  I can't help but wonder if Randall Davis could sell out his condo buildings faster if he would use more attractive exterior designs.  The recent glaring-white facades, particularly the bare parking podiums at the base would be a real turn-off to me.  Hopefully it's just a phase and his future projects will be more attractive on the outside. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

I know it's probably just a fantasy, but I would love to see the 3 surface parking lots northeast of Root Square (Rockets Lot, Dallas Lot, and MIPS Lot) developed into a park that connected to Discovery Green. I know another garage would need to be built somewhere else, but it would allow for a more connected and livable downtown, especially if more residential projects popped up around it.

I would actually prefer to see some more retail and residential development.  That side of downtown has a decent amount of park area, but you have few choices of where to eat between the light rail and toyota center right before a game.  I could see another hotel, a mid rise apartment complex, and some sort of open air food area similar to truck yard

• Like 2

This is the area that ya gotta know that Tilman has an eye on...to bring more energy, life, fun and money to Toyota Center and his Rockets.  I can see him developing a multi-use entertainment district here...and surely another hotel.  I even see him integrating Toyota Center into it in some way.   However, I have no idea who controls these properties.  Still...they are ripe for something.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I know it's probably just a fantasy, but I would love to see the 3 surface parking lots northeast of Root Square (Rockets Lot, Dallas Lot, and MIPS Lot) developed into a park that connected to Discovery Green. I know another garage would need to be built somewhere else, but it would allow for a more connected and livable downtown, especially if more residential projects popped up around it.

That area already has Discovery Green and Root Park. The Downtown District, Central Houston, and the city are looking for up to a block, but more like a half or quarter block for the southern end of downtown for a pocket park, in an area which could use some incentive to get those vacant lots developed and start creating a revenue stream for them, in taxes and growth. 

4 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

This is the area that ya gotta know that Tilman has an eye on...to bring more energy, life, fun and money to Toyota Center and his Rockets.  I can see him developing a multi-use entertainment district here...and surely another hotel.  I even see him integrating Toyota Center into it in some way.   However, I have no idea who controls these properties.  Still...they are ripe for something.  

Most of these lots are controlled by a Taiwanese Oil Company. They simply don't sell - I believe the Toyota Center land was owned by them and taken via eminent domain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Most of these lots are controlled by a Taiwanese Oil Company. They simply don't sell - I believe the Toyota Center land was owned by them and taken via eminent domain.

So what you're saying is that without the government stepping in, those lots aren't going to be developed anytime soon.

3 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

This has to be Mr. Davis' best effort yet, nothing to write home about but not offensive like some of his others...

I agree.  And even if I don't particularly care for the facade, at least someone is building a condo building downtown, rather than more rental apartments.  Consequently, I hope this one sells out quickly and helps induce more downtown condo development. 

23 minutes ago, ArchFan said:

I agree.  And even if I don't particularly care for the facade, at least someone is building a condo building downtown, rather than more rental apartments.  Consequently, I hope this one sells out quickly and helps induce more downtown condo development. 

But I wonder how many of these are investor purchases and will be rented out anyway.

That is a good question.  Personally, I wouldn't invest in one right now, if it were only to rent it out.  There are so many downtown rental units on the market now, with more on the way.  

Edited by ArchFan

3 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

That article from 2000 quoted prices around $50/sq ft. Have prices grown by that much since then?

Yeah, I think prices inside the loop have jumped multiples since 2000. The downtown living initiative really drove a lot of that.