Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

• 2 weeks later...

This is truly changing the way this side of the park feels. It's presence on the skyline is  becoming more obvious and coupled with the Alessandra on Dallas they're going to spread the perimeter of the skyline farther southeast. A little more density. 

Nice

• Like 5

Normally shear walls are hidden around elevator shafts, stairwells, or the external framing of the structure. It looks like theres a "notch" in the backside of the building and they decided to put it there. 

The shear wall, btw is a system for stiffening a building against lateral loads. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_wall

Link above for some generic info. 

Quick edit because I didnt see your second question: Are they typical?

Answer is, yes. Pretty common. Your house has several around the perimeter, Granted, they look different. But, the perimeter studs when a structural plywood/panel boards is attached to the outside, it fundamentally acts like a shear wall, in essence stiffening your house against lateral loads.  

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Seems like Downtown to the Medical Center could develop a similar look to the Galleria area from distance with taller buildings on 30 or so blocks from the soon to be torn down Peirce Elevated on down to the Museum District.

Think you maybe right.  Things certainly are moving in that direction. The high rise planned across the 'superblock" will be a big plus.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, enriquewx91 said:

"Clean and Green" Houston, TX

From Reddit

Root Park has some amazing trees. Too bad it doesn't have any sidewalks around its edge, at least on this side. Wonder if they got taken away when La Branch St was expanded to a freewayesque 5 lanes. I think I-45 downtown is only 4 lanes per side.

• Like 4

Randall D would (well, might) earn my undying gratitude if he would join the ranks of developers who mitigate the visual impact of their parking podiums by incorporating cascading vines or other greenery onto their facades.   I don't expect it to happen, especially in Houston, but one can hope ... 

• Like 2