Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

I believe this cycle will go down as one of the strongest for the number of empty lots developed.

I think it was 17 blocks this cycle.

Agreed.  I'm excited for the next cycle, when retailers, national/international developers, and hotel flags will have several years of Market research/data to analyze future investments in Houston CBD.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Someday there going to build something spectacular on the block that was going to original be the site for the Bank of the Southwest tower.

I believe that is the corner of Milam Louisiana Walker and McKinney. I could see Houston's first supernal right there.

I don't see them moving Chase Tower over there.  I'd rather we build our third supertall (and new tallest) there .  ;)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't see them moving Chase Tower over there.  I'd rather we build our third supertall (and new tallest) there .  ;)

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't understand what you are suggesting that I meant. I didn't suggest that they move Chase from where it sits, which would be quite a feat unless Superman is still around. I suggested that they build a supertall someday on the central vacant lot at Milam Louisiana Walker and Mckinney which is surrounded by SOM towers known as skid row. So essentially you said what I was saying or whatever.

Edited by bobruss
spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, bobruss said:

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't understand what you are suggesting that I meant. I didn't suggest that they move Chase from where it sits, which would be quite a feat unless Superman is still around. I suggested that they build a superntall someday on the central vacant lot at Milam Louisiana Walker and Mckinney which is surrounded by SOM towers known as skid row. So essentially you said what I was saying or whatever.

Just having a little fun.  You said you could see Houston's "first" supertall there.  Our first supertall is Chase Tower.  Our second supertall is Wells Fargo Plaza. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

Someday there going to build something spectacular on the block that was going to original be the site for the Bank of the Southwest tower.

I believe that is the corner of Milam Louisiana Walker and McKinney. I could see Houston's first supernal right there.

That would be my best guess since it's the only available lot in what may be the most desirable area of downtown for office space.

However, our next supertall I think will most likely be mixed use. For this site what's best imo is office #1, hotel #2, but I don't see it as a desirable place to live. Although a very clean and good-looking area, I don't think residential gets put here, which may lower the chance of a supertall, if it's going to be mixed-use.

Maybe what tells us our next supertalls location is the highest price lot according to HCAD?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bobruss said:

I believe this cycle will go down as one of the strongest for the number of empty lots developed.

I think it was 17 blocks this cycle.

Does this account for the new empty lots created by Camden and the bulldozing of that warehouse building (deemed structurally deficient) on Austin ( and maybe Texas-ish) and the Lancaster owners historic bulldozing and, likely a few others?

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Timoric said:

I was just thinking, yeah I agree, but...what if it was a Randall Davis tower? Dream or Nightmare? What would Randall do?

Is there enough eye bleach?

At least we dodged the Shamrock Tower bullet in favor of 609 Main. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Does this account for the new empty lots created by Camden and the bulldozing of that warehouse building (deemed structurally deficient) on Austin ( and maybe Texas-ish) and the Lancaster owners historic bulldozing and, likely a few others?

The old YMCA Building and the Chronicle complex come to mind. We've lost a few gems in this cycle too. And I am thinking Houston has grown enough that parking garages shouldn't really count. Sure, it's better than an empty lot but they detract from adding anything to the street scape (sidewalks) other than added danger. 

• Like 3

I would disagree - it depends on the parking garage.  A parking garage that you walk by and not realize it's a garage, because of street level retail and a nice facade, is for sure a net positive.  There aren't many that were built this cycle though, but what I'm mainly thinking of is the new garage for GRB - it has that office tower on top, but it's mainly a garage, but it feels more like an extension of the GRB area when you walk in front of it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lockmat said:

That would be my best guess since it's the only available lot in what may be the most desirable area of downtown for office space.

However, our next supertall I think will most likely be mixed use. For this site what's best imo is office #1, hotel #2, but I don't see it as a desirable place to live. Although a very clean and good-looking area, I don't think residential gets put here, which may lower the chance of a supertall, if it's going to be mixed-use.

Maybe what tells us our next supertalls location is the highest price lot according to HCAD?

hines paid the highest price for a piece of dirt ever in Houston at $550/sf for the chronicle site.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, swtsig said:

hines paid the highest price for a piece of dirt ever in Houston at $550/sf for the chronicle site.

Wasn't the sale price estimated at $55 million? For a 62,291 SF site (including the parking garage), that would translate to $883/SF, although that does seem high for Houston. $550/SF would bring the total to about $34 million. This was the price for both parcels?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, swtsig said:

I can see why. Proximity to rail, historic district, bayou, office space, park, residential, retail, the arts, freeway ramps, skyline visibility, tunnels, growing area, jury duty, err.

What did I leave out?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Wasn't the sale price estimated at $55 million? For a 62,291 SF site (including the parking garage), that would translate to $883/SF, although that does seem high for Houston. $550/SF would bring the total to about $34 million. This was the price for both parcels?

You are right about the purchase price, it was estimated to have sold for $50-55 Million.  But I think your square footage is off.  62,291 square feet would just cover the main block (maybe not even quite that).  I believe downtown blocks cover 63,435 square feet (not quite 1.5 acres).  1 1/2 blocks would be 95,152.5 square feet.  At $50M, that would be $525.47 per square foot.  At $55M:  $578.02.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

You are right about the purchase price, it was estimated to have sold for $50-55 Million.  But I think your square footage is off.  62,291 square feet would just cover the main block (maybe not even quite that).  I believe downtown blocks cover 63,435 square feet (not quite 1.5 acres).  1 1/2 blocks would be 95,152.5 square feet.  At $50M, that would be $525.47 per square foot.  At $55M:  $578.02.

That makes sense. My source for the square footage (Costar) must have meant only the main block.

• Like 1