Definition of "walkable neighborhood"

The sidewalk problem was partially addressed in the "who will fix Montrose sidewalks" issue. If the city put in sidewalks, they'd do lots of damage to trees due to the way that roots get disturbed. But again, if it's walking that's the issue and you're not physically disabled somehow, couldn't you walk on the grass? Generally, you could tell where a sidewalk should be but isn't--there's patches of bare dirt there, so if there's none of that, no one walks much in your neighborhood, or if they do, the traffic is low and slow enough for you to generally walk on the street. 

That's just my impression, I could be wrong.

In the case of the Montrose sidewalks, I think they already existed, more or less, but badly need repair or replacement.  Most of the suburban streets don't have the tree issue as typically trees are planted in the middle or on the sides of the yard and not next to the road.  I know the city owns the first 3 or so feet of my yard as part of the road easement and would guess the same is true elsewhere, so they could put in new sidewalks with minimal technical issues.  I'd guess they would run into neighborhood opposition from those who don't want the front of their property to change.  Probably the game isn't worth the candle to the city.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to travel more if you do not understand what "walkable" means to an urbanist. Not trying to be snarky, but if you really don't understand the difference between walking in a suburb of Houston or in Brooklyn Heights, then that tells me you haven't been to Brooklyn Heights.

I lived in Boston's South End for 14 years. I wish I could go back and film what it was like to walk 10 blocks from my house compared to what it is like for me now in Houston. It's night and day difference and I actually think I live in one of the most walkable areas of town (near Rice University). 

The main difference is that other people are walking in Boston so you never feel isolated. The critical mass on the sidewalks also meant that cars actually yield for pedestrians rather than try and cut you off while making turns. Lastly, the built environment in Boston lacks massive surface parking lots, multiple driveways on every block, broken sidewalks, and drive-thru businesses. All of those things make me wary while walking in Houston because you never know if drivers actually see you since they are so focused on traffic, texting, putting on their makeup in the rearview mirror, etc...

That's actually an interesting neighborhood to bring up, august.  It would be walkable, except for two things:  There are zero sidewalks (or close to it), and very, very few streets that aren't cul de sacs with fences at the end of them.  This forces the hapless pedestrian or cyclist to use one of the two or three through streets, along with all the auto traffic that is funneled onto those same streets.  

I grew up just across the beltway from there (long before the tollway was built, and when there weren't nearly as many people there), and even way back then riding my bicycle to Memorial City challenged every ounce of my boyish bravado.

Actually, there's quite a few ways to work through the neighborhoods between Memorial City and Town and Country. There's a winding drive through some narrow neighborhood streets, you go right next to Memorial Middle School, and get a really nice view of a park.

Anyway, no need to walk on Memorial (which after Gessner turns into a speedway), or along I-10.

Actually, there's quite a few ways to work through the neighborhoods between Memorial City and Town and Country. There's a winding drive through some narrow neighborhood streets, you go right next to Memorial Middle School, and get a really nice view of a park.

Anyway, no need to walk on Memorial (which after Gessner turns into a speedway), or along I-10.

I happened to be in the area a week or two ago and noticed there are sidewalks throughout the neighborhoods and you can walk from Memorial City to Town & Country/CityCentre on them with the exception of one block on Vindon Dr.  The road is wider there, though, so I can't see that it would be a big deal

Archived