Definition of "walkable neighborhood"

I don't want to start a shouting match, but I feel like "walkable neighborhood" is less an actual definition than largely a buzzword thrown about by New Urbanist types and marketers. 

For example, a quiet sprawling neighborhood with cul-de-sacs could arguably be considered "walkable": sidewalks, relatively low traffic, and the like. Even if sidewalks aren't quite as plentiful, the traffic would be low enough that it's easy to walk on. Yet, that isn't what "walkable neighborhood" is interpreted to be. If it's not only reliant on sidewalks but also shops and services, then that would also rule out even places like the Washington DC plan which has rows of townhomes everywhere but because of obsolete zoning, shops and services are farther away than you'd think. Or is it more reliant on density than anything else?

If someone can explain, or try to explain, without bashing neighborhoods/cities, that'd be great.

See, that's the thing--even in pedestrian districts, like a downtown of a smaller town, isn't considered to be truly "walkable", which makes me think it's just a mostly meaningless buzzword.

What may be defined as walkable in one town, or even one country, may not be considered walkable in another town or country. There's just different interpretations of it depending on where you are. Now, some people may not want to hear this, but gentrification also plays a role in determining if a neighborhood is walkable. It's happening in Atlanta. Close-in neighborhoods that 20 years ago were low-income are now commanding some of the highest real-estate values in the Atlanta area. You could probably find people walking to and from their residences to bus and train stops, school, church, and work back then, not because they had the luxury of owning a car, but because they could not afford one. Yet, that area would probably get a lower walkability score than if it was filled with those of higher socioeconomic levels who choose to walk because they want to, and not because that's their only option.

IMHO the defining factor is whether one must rely on a car to get around.  For example, walking any distance in much of the upper Post Oak/West Loop area is only for those who have a bit of a death wish, while downtown is very walkable, buses/trains or no.  Most of the Heights, Montrose, and the area near the Village is quite walkable, even with crummy and/or non existent sidewalks, while in much of the burbs you can certainly wander down the middle of the cul de sac streets from now to next week without fear of getting run down, but where are you going to go other than somebody's house?

IMHO the defining factor is whether one must rely on a car to get around.  For example, walking any distance in much of the upper Post Oak/West Loop area is only for those who have a bit of a death wish, while downtown is very walkable, buses/trains or no.  Most of the Heights, Montrose, and the area near the Village is quite walkable, even with crummy and/or non existent sidewalks, while in much of the burbs you can certainly wander down the middle of the cul de sac streets from now to next week without fear of getting run down, but where are you going to go other than somebody's house?

Even in the burbs, the nearer, pre-master-planned-community ones anyway, you can get along without a car if you want to as long as you are near one of the major thoroughfares.

I view a walkable neighborhood as one where I can handle many basic life tasks reasonably with walking. For example, I live within walking distance of two grocery stores, plenty of restaurants and bars, several convenience stores, a locksmith, several coffeeshops, and etc etc. 

My Dad lived in one of those cul-de-sac mazes in Spring, and it was miles of walking just to get out of his neighborhood. 

I view a walkable neighborhood as one where I can handle many basic life tasks reasonably with walking. For example, I live within walking distance of two grocery stores, plenty of restaurants and bars, several convenience stores, a locksmith, several coffeeshops, and etc etc. 

My Dad lived in one of those cul-de-sac mazes in Spring, and it was miles of walking just to get out of his neighborhood. 

That's a reasonable definition.  The key to that is what one considers "reasonable" for walking.  I have a high tolerance for walking so 20 to 30 minutes one way is reasonable to me.  I know people, though, who balk at the idea of walking from the far end of a parking lot (where there are lots of spaces) to a store and will circle around until they find something as close as possible so they don't have to walk far.

That's a reasonable definition.  The key to that is what one considers "reasonable" for walking.  I have a high tolerance for walking so 20 to 30 minutes one way is reasonable to me.  I know people, though, who balk at the idea of walking from the far end of a parking lot (where there are lots of spaces) to a store and will circle around until they find something as close as possible so they don't have to walk far.

I've heard people whine about how far the parking is from their gym.  :blink:

Able-bodied young males on this forum may laugh, but there are at least a couple of legitimate reasons people may circle around a parking lot to find a space close to the entrance of a business:

1.   They're alone and don't feel safe parking in a more distant location, especially if they'll return to the car with purchases or have small children in tow. If you doubt the truth of this, just ask a woman who has been the victim of a parking lot purse snatcher!

2.   They don't qualify for a handicap tag, but can't walk long distances due to a physical ailment or injury. 

Most though are just obese and/or lazy and don't want to walk far. They're  the same people that won't return their carts to a cart area, just push it aside to be some one else's problem. 

To me a walkable neighborhood means no thru streets. I've been lucky enough to have had those type neighborhoods my last 4 homes but only because they have been in the "burbs". 

Able-bodied young males on this forum may laugh, but there are at least a couple of legitimate reasons people may circle around a parking lot to find a space close to the entrance of a business:

1.   They're alone and don't feel safe parking in a more distant location, especially if they'll return to the car with purchases or have small children in tow. If you doubt the truth of this, just ask a woman who has been the victim of a parking lot purse snatcher!

2.   They don't qualify for a handicap tag, but can't walk long distances due to a physical ailment or injury. 

I'm an able-bodied male and I'm not laughing. Anyone, including us able-bodied males, can be a target of criminals in a parking lot.

While I agree with what you're saying in terms of those neighborhoods having the amenities like retail that make up walkable neighborhoods, one of the most important aspects of walkability is nice wide sidewalks in good condition, with good pedestrian street level interaction.  So I would disagree that neighborhoods like the Heights and Montrose are walkable in the traditional sense. 

i completely agree and understand both those reasons.  But those to whom I was referring do so out of preference for not walking far, not out of handicap or other concerns.

A definition of a walkable neighborhood to me is everything in close proximity and in walking distance day or night . The only dangers would be criminals and straydog packs especially when searching for food in the wee hours and a walkable neighborhood can be near or surround a recreational park , beach , or bayou or college campus . I like walking because it saves money and good for the heart and mind . 

Most though are just obese and/or lazy and don't want to walk far. They're  the same people that won't return their carts to a cart area, just push it aside to be some one else's problem. 

To me a walkable neighborhood means no thru streets. I've been lucky enough to have had those type neighborhoods my last 4 homes but only because they have been in the "burbs". 

That may be the justification of some, that it's not their problem, but I don't return carts because it is my problem. I want our country to succeed and be prosperous, it can only do that if people are employed. If everyone returned their carts, then that's one less job the store would have to employ. I am helping to keep our economy going by not returning my basket!

Anyway, walkable has to be above all else, safe.

The same thing as being concerned to walk a greater distance to your car with purse snatchers, distracted drivers, whatever. If the area isn't safe to walk, no matter how much ground floor retail, or stuff to entice walking, no one is going to do it.

I walk a lot of places in and around my neighborhood, if there were more destinations nearby, I'd walk far more often. as it is, I ride my bike instead. But I feel safe doing this, both from a stand point of traffic safety (there's not much traffic to contend with on Leeland), and from my own personal safety.

A walkable neighborhood to me is a community of varying uses of living, employment, shopping, and entertainment wherein the typical citizen is not likely to feel intimidated or hindered by distance or other transportation modes.

I feel like where I live is walkable--it's just two blocks away from a shopping center (office supplies, books, and a Best Buy) as well as being within grasp of fast food (tacos, fried chicken) and even has a park. 

I think that true "walkability", that is, having absolutely everything up to including a supermarket, dry cleaning, etc. remains a pipe dream, not unless you live behind a giant strip mall or something.

Things That Matter (answers to all should be YES):

- Are the sidewalks in good working order, and far enough away from the street? I don't like it when there's a curb and only a narrow sidewalk before it runs up against a wall or fence or something.

- Is there interesting stuff nearby beyond your home within a few blocks? If you're nestled deep within suburbia or in an artificial island (think CityCentre), it doesn't count.

- Can you access stores and restaurants that you'll actually use?

- Are there modern crosswalks, and not just "Push for Signal Change" buttons?

- Is it safe to walk around and not be at risk for criminals/wild dogs?

- For the pedestrian overpasses that do exist, are they more than the type that only have chainlink fence and a concrete barrier over a busy roadway?

Things That Don't Matter to Me and Really Shouldn't, But Are Still Thought to be Included:

- I don't care if there's parking or other setbacks between a business and the sidewalk.

- Public transit isn't a necessity.

- Density doesn't matter.

- Neither are bike lanes. In fact, if the sidewalks aren't narrow 3' affairs, I dare you say you need bike lanes at all unless you really are up to the challenge.

- Not everything has to be within distance. It's not fair to expect a large modern supermarket within a mile unless you live in a dense, highly developed area.

- Speed limits on nearby roads if the whole "sidewalks and setbacks" thing is followed.

- Railroads, provided that there's an adequate sidewalk crossing, it's well marked, or there's an underpass/overpass.

- Elevated roadways above. 

I feel like where I live is walkable--it's just two blocks away from a shopping center (office supplies, books, and a Best Buy) as well as being within grasp of fast food (tacos, fried chicken) and even has a park. 

I think that true "walkability", that is, having absolutely everything up to including a supermarket, dry cleaning, etc. remains a pipe dream, not unless you live behind a giant strip mall or something.

Things That Matter (answers to all should be YES):

- Are the sidewalks in good working order, and far enough away from the street? I don't like it when there's a curb and only a narrow sidewalk before it runs up against a wall or fence or something.

- Is there interesting stuff nearby beyond your home within a few blocks? If you're nestled deep within suburbia or in an artificial island (think CityCentre), it doesn't count.

- Can you access stores and restaurants that you'll actually use?

- Are there modern crosswalks, and not just "Push for Signal Change" buttons?

- Is it safe to walk around and not be at risk for criminals/wild dogs?

- For the pedestrian overpasses that do exist, are they more than the type that only have chainlink fence and a concrete barrier over a busy roadway?

Things That Don't Matter to Me and Really Shouldn't, But Are Still Thought to be Included:

- I don't care if there's parking or other setbacks between a business and the sidewalk.

- Public transit isn't a necessity.

- Density doesn't matter.

- Neither are bike lanes. In fact, if the sidewalks aren't narrow 3' affairs, I dare you say you need bike lanes at all unless you really are up to the challenge.

- Not everything has to be within distance. It's not fair to expect a large modern supermarket within a mile unless you live in a dense, highly developed area.

- Speed limits on nearby roads if the whole "sidewalks and setbacks" thing is followed.

- Railroads, provided that there's an adequate sidewalk crossing, it's well marked, or there's an underpass/overpass.

- Elevated roadways above. 

I might take issue with excluding CityCentre and here's why. 

Just to the south of CityCenter is Town & Country Village shopping center.  There are more restaurants, miscellaneous retailers (clothes, furniture, homegoods, jewelry) plus a Barnes and Noble and a Randall's.  There are at least two banks, probably more, in the combined area and just to the east of CityCentre is a post office.  Along I-10 spreading east are a number of restaurants and stores stretching to Gessner where there is, of course, Memorial City Mall and the hospital complex.  In between all this is a neighborhood with schools and a park.  Total distance east to west is probably right at a mile.  I find that at normal walking speed I can cover a mile in about 30 minutes.  Assuming someone lives right in the middle of this neighborhood, that means they could potentially be at various work, play or errand destinations in perhaps 15 or 20 minutes.  I'd have to look at a metro map to be sure, but I believe there is transit access along Gessner and Memorial at least.

I would consider that very walkable.  Such configurations can be found throughout the city if you look for them.

That's actually an interesting neighborhood to bring up, august.  It would be walkable, except for two things:  There are zero sidewalks (or close to it), and very, very few streets that aren't cul de sacs with fences at the end of them.  This forces the hapless pedestrian or cyclist to use one of the two or three through streets, along with all the auto traffic that is funneled onto those same streets.  

I grew up just across the beltway from there (long before the tollway was built, and when there weren't nearly as many people there), and even way back then riding my bicycle to Memorial City challenged every ounce of my boyish bravado.

That's actually an interesting neighborhood to bring up, august.  It would be walkable, except for two things:  There are zero sidewalks (or close to it), and very, very few streets that aren't cul de sacs with fences at the end of them.  This forces the hapless pedestrian or cyclist to use one of the two or three through streets, along with all the auto traffic that is funneled onto those same streets.  

I grew up just across the beltway from there (long before the tollway was built, and when there weren't nearly as many people there), and even way back then riding my bicycle to Memorial City challenged every ounce of my boyish bravado.

I guess I must have a higher tolerance for such things, but my own neighborhood, the one I grew up in, and many others I've walked in between were laid out the same way...no sidewalks, a few through streets, some cars... and I never give walking or riding a second thought.  Of course, I don't mind walking along the curb and on the edge of someone's lawn if required and I don't do it with headphones on and completely oblivious of my surroundings.  I see people walking for pleasure and/or excercise with and without dogs and children in the mornings and evenings in a lot of these neighborhoods, including my own, so I don't think I'm way out on the fringe.

It's walkable as long as you don't insist on a laundry list of must-haves before you set foot out the door.

Some culdesac streets have sidewalks that connect streets that cars can't. Do those count?

If it gets you from point a to point b faster it does.  That said, that sort of arrangement is rare in the older suburban neighborhoods I'm most familiar with.

I'm not an absolutist on sidewalks (but close).  

The problem with Frostwood (the neighborhood generally bounded by City Centre/Town & Country, Katy, Gessner, and Memorial) is that once you get off of whichever bucolic one block cul de sac you began with, you're now walking on a collector street with a pretty fair amount of traffic or on someone's well tended lawn adjacent to that street.  Non motorized cut throughs at the end of the cul de sacs would be great, but they generally don't exist there - and not all of the cul de sac ends meet up with one another.  The result is that there have been pedestrians and bicyclists hit on its main drags, with a couple of daytime fatalities there back during my misspent youth.

This design flaw is not unique to Frostwood by any stretch of the imagination.

This design flaw is not unique to Frostwood by any stretch of the imagination.

No doubt.  Like I said, it looks very much like my own neighborhood and many others built in the same general time period.  So, then, the question becomes...if a neighborhood already has the potential for walkability, but is perhaps lacking in safety features for pedestrians, what can be done about it?  Speed bumps?  Sidewalks along through streets?  Does the city ever do that, put sidewalks in a residential area where there were none before?

Frostwood has some traffic calming devices - humps (I think) and a couple traffic circles.

Sidewalks would be a great addition, but don't hold your breath waiting for the city to do it.  A few years ago they had a program to install new sidewalks near schools, but even that was in a very limited area, and for only one side of the street.

The sidewalk problem was partially addressed in the "who will fix Montrose sidewalks" issue. If the city put in sidewalks, they'd do lots of damage to trees due to the way that roots get disturbed. But again, if it's walking that's the issue and you're not physically disabled somehow, couldn't you walk on the grass? Generally, you could tell where a sidewalk should be but isn't--there's patches of bare dirt there, so if there's none of that, no one walks much in your neighborhood, or if they do, the traffic is low and slow enough for you to generally walk on the street. 

That's just my impression, I could be wrong.

Frostwood has some traffic calming devices - humps (I think) and a couple traffic circles.

Sidewalks would be a great addition, but don't hold your breath waiting for the city to do it.  A few years ago they had a program to install new sidewalks near schools, but even that was in a very limited area, and for only one side of the street.

Those traffic circles are annoying.  I like the concept (somewhat) but they look like they were added as an afterthought to ordinary intersections.  I guess they do serve to calm the traffic, though.

Archived